Status: Most recent update: August 31st, 2019 (Two updates this weekend!)

Haner to Save the Day

You're Giving Me A Heart Attack

“I want to work,” Veronica declared in front of her parents on a typical Tuesday night. Her father, Peter, had been reading and writing notes for his upcoming summit on something related to computer engineering. Veronica could never remember all the different things Peter did at work. Meanwhile, her mom, Linda, read through a report on new technologies for the medical field. Veronica stood tall, waiting for their response all the way across from the kitchen table.

Linda smiled lightly. “Why do you want to work?”

“I feel bad asking you for money. And I’m 17. I think I should start.”

“If that’s what you want. We’ll support you,” Peter replied, pushing his reading glasses up as to not slip from his face.

The news took her by surprise. Her parents didn’t spoil them; Alana was working overtime hours even though she didn’t have to. If anything, Peter and Linda always enforced for their children to have a good education. Still, Veronica thought their parents would put up more of a fight. Had they been discussing the topic among each other?

“Do you know where you might want to work?” Linda asked.

Veronica shook her head. “I didn’t really look into it.”

That’s okay. We can help you,” Peter switched over to Vietnamese. He always changed languages sporadically to remind his children to remain fluent in their native tongue.

I-I don’t think I want help. I want to see if I can do this myself…is that okay?

That’s more than okay! But if you need help, tell us. We can ask our friends. Deal?

“Deal,” Veronica grinned, shaking her father’s hand.

Within the same week, Veronica applied to as many retail stores and restaurants as she possibly could. She had received only one call back so far. She sighed and looked down at her resume. It was very scarce and boring, but she had hoped her cover letter would add an extra sparkle of overachiever. At least she was smart enough to realize she couldn’t apply to any jobs in offices. She had zero experience and it was seldom for 17-year-old high school students to be able to work in this area.

Veronica peered at her clock. 4:35. She really hoped she would receive a call for an interview soon. She made an abundant progress in California; she toned down her complaining to once a week to her family. If she was unable to find a job by herself, she might as well put herself in a depression and shave her head.

A few seconds later, the phone rang. Veronica jumped from the couch and ran over to the phone with Jack hot behind her heels. “Hello?” she said breathlessly.

“Hello. Is Veronica present?” said a male voice over the phone.

“This is she. How can I help you?”

“My name is Michael. I am calling from Islands Restaurant. We would like to have you come in later today at 7pm for an interview.”

“Sounds great! I’ll meet you there.”

“When you arrive, tell the hostess you’re meeting with me for an interview. See you then.”

Veronica placed the phone gently back on its receiver before jumping and squealing. She didn’t need help from Alana or her parents. She was able to find this place on her own! Pride swelled in her heart before dread showered over her. She had an abysmal amount of experience in an interview. What would she wear? What would she say? Was she supposed to put on makeup?

Feeling the tingling of a slight anxiety attack, she dialed Jo and Nick’s house, praying they were home. Luckily, Nick answered. “Hello?”

“Nick! It’s Chip. I need your help and your sister.”

“Uh are you okay?”

“Yeah!” Veronica said shrilly. She heard herself after she opened her mouth. She reminded herself to breathe and calm down. “I scored a job interview and I need help with it.”

Nick rudely hung up the phone and in less than a minute, the twins were at her doorstep with wide smiles on their faces. They were excited for their friend to take the next step in calling California her home. It didn’t hurt that they could possibly get free food, but that wasn’t important.

Jo ran upstairs with Veronica to raid her closet and see if she had any articles of clothing that could pass for “professional.” Fortunately, Veronica had a good selection of dress shirts and slacks from the copious work parties her parents forced her to attend in her youth. After changing into a traditional outfit consisting of a white blouse, black pants, black shoes, and hair tied in a high ponytail, the two friends walked into the living room where Nick and Jack waited quite patiently.

The moment Veronica sat down on the couch, Nick clapped his hands and unveiled his notebook. Veronica raised an eyebrow. “What?” Nick asked. “I’ve had experience with interviews. First things first, you have to sit up straight and stop shaking your leg.”

“And place your hands comfortably on top of your knees! Relax. You look like you’re going to pass out,” Jo chimed in.

Veronica nodded and exhaled. Practice didn’t begin, yet she already felt her heart threatening to beat out of her chest and run away.

Nick smiled. “I’m going to start with some simple questions. Why did you apply to this job?”

“Uh I need a jo- “

“WRONG!” Nick uttered. “That’s obvious and a terrible answer. You want to talk about skills or how you’re going to make yourself better.” Veronica rolled her eyes. “And that. Hide your attitude.”

“Fine,” Veronica mumbled through gritted teeth. She knew her friends wanted her to succeed and were providing their help, but she was beginning to get annoyed. “I would like to better my communication…and working with teams.”

“Good!” Jo smiled. “Next question. What’s a strength and weakness?”

“Uh. I am very strong in how I speak? I try to give input wherever I can. My weakness is my temper b- “

“WRONG. Trick question and you failed. Your strength was good but not the weakness. You twist it around and say ‘something I’m improving on blah blah blah. You also can’t say your temper dude. That shows you can’t work with other people.”

The three spent the next hour grooming Veronica to be the best interviewer imaginable. After a verbal struggle with Veronica’s attitude, the twins deemed her ready to go out and face the cruel world. Veronica still felt extremely edgy, but she could see she was more prepared than she had been once she received the call. She replayed her interview answers in her head like a bad movie. She analyzed every piece as best as she could to see if there were any missing holes in her responses.

Finally, she reached the restaurant. It smelled very tropical and looked the same inside. She already did her best to research the restaurant. The most glaring evidence was it was a Mexican influenced restaurant that also served drinks. She knew she was too young to touch liquor, which may be a red flag for Michael. Though, maybe if she nailed the interview then he would make an exception.

The hostess smiled at the podium. Once Veronica voiced her intentions, the woman walked her towards the back of the restaurant, usually reserved for catering and large parties. She informed Veronica that Michael would call her shortly. When she sat down, she noticed another high schooler across from her. She tried to observe him inconspicuously, but probably appeared as a stalker anyway.

He was tall like Jimmy, but not as lanky. She could tell even though his shirt was a bit too roomy for his body, that he was an athlete. It could have been track or volleyball, she couldn’t accurately pinpoint it. His skin was caramel, and his hair was short and in waves.

“Hey, are you waiting for Michael too?” he asked.

Veronica looked away, cheeks slightly pink. She had stared for too long. “Uh yeah,” she eventually said.

He got up and sat in the seat next to her. She could only blink at him slowly. She didn’t like strangers invading her personal space without asking for permission. Hence why she hated Brian and the air he breathed.

“I’m Evan. I’m kind of nervous. And I talk a lot when I’m nervous,” he chuckled nervously.

“I’m nervous too,” she replied softly.

“So, what are you into?”

“Uhm I have a dog. I take him on adventures when I can.”

“That’s cool,” Evan smiled. “What kind of dog is he?”

That’s all it took for Veronica to calm down and bring her guard down. She loved her dog and could talk about him days without rest. She also judged people based on their response once she revealed she had a fur baby. Evan seemed interested in Jack; she figured a person who likes dogs couldn’t be too weird.

Veronica waited an additional 15 minutes until Michael was ready to meet with her. During that time, she spoke to Evan. He kept telling her jokes to break through their nerves and tension. She felt immensely grateful to have met him. If she was alone, she most likely would have ran out of the restaurant before even going through with the interview.

Eventually, Michael appeared from his office with a kind smile. “Hello Veronica. Nice to meet you! Are you ready?” She nodded and followed him into the office. About 10 minutes later, she walked out feeling very confident and accomplished. Even if she did not get the job position, she could at least appreciate the experience and learn for her next interview.

She and Michael walked past the area she had sat previously with Evan. She expected to see him, so she could wish him the best of luck, but he was no longer in the seat. She furrowed her eyebrows, confused. She thought he had to meet with Michael as well.

Michael walked Veronica to the front doors of the restaurant. Before she left, she turned around and gave him a firm handshake. He nodded. “I’m not really following protocol, but I want to tell you, you got the job.”

Veronica smiled. “Oh my god that’s great! Thank you!”

“You had an amazing interview for someone your age. You can relax now. I’ll give you a call tomorrow for the onboarding process.”

Veronica ran the rest of the way home, hoping her parents got off work early. Seeing both of her parents’ cars in the driveway, she squealed, running a little faster. Before she could reach her lawn, two arms wrapped around her waist and pulled her away, knocking the breath of out her.

“What the fu-”

“I’m so proud of you!” Jimmy screamed, swinging Veronica side to side like a rag doll. “Get me free drinks!”

“That’s not how it works fool!” Veronica laughed, pushing Jimmy off and landing on her feet.

“Tomato tomato. You’re a big kid now. And you did it all by yourself. We’re going out to celebrate!”

A frown instantly appeared on Veronica’s face. She wanted to go out with Jimmy, but she also wanted to tell her parents.

Jimmy used his index fingers and moved her lips into a smile. “I told your parents! They’re cool!”

She looked up at Jimmy amused. She should have known Jimmy somehow snaked his way into her parents’ hearts.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's looking like I can accomplish posting longer chapters!

I'm hoping to post another chapter tomorrow if all goes according to plan