Play with Fire.

You should never ever trust my kind

I notice the blond haired man sitting on a bench in the park watching his nieces play on the swings. I take a deep breath before walking over to him, sitting down on the opposite side of the bench. I’m close enough to hear him but far enough away so that people don’t think we’re together.

“Why the sudden interest in making amends?” I ask him, barely giving him even a sideway glance. “Our fathers hate each other. And it’s not your average hatred; it’s deep seeded hatred.”

Without even saying a word, he throws down a security image in between us. I don’t have to look at it to know who it is. Every mafioso and drug cartel leader alike are fearing the group of Koreans that are trying to take over the Bay area. They are simply known as The Triad. They have their hands in everything; that’s what makes them powerful and terrifying. They will stop at nothing until they rule the underworld.

“We have a common enemy.” He speaks. “We’re powerful separate but not powerful enough to take them on. Together, we’ll be unstoppable.”

“The day the Gambino Family and the Jamison Family work together will be a cold day in Hell.” I tell him. “You and I both know my fathers will never forgive you for what yours did. My dad nearly lost his life. All because of some homophobic asshole.”

“We’ll be able to convince them to work together,” he says turning to look at me. “But I won’t be able to convince them alone. Your fathers listen to you; you’re the voice of reason in their chaotic world. Without you, our families are all in danger.”

“You know, you’ll have to convince my brother and cousin as well.” I inform him. “Daddy Dearest won’t say yes unless his right and left hand men are on board. While I do agree with you; my brother and cousin are stubborn. They’ll go against you just for principle.”

“How can I convince them?” He asks.

“I’ll think of something.” I say getting up. “We’ll be in touch…”


Marco stares at Franco with an intensity before he turns to me; this look not faltering. “I can’t believe you want us to work with those traitors.” He scoffs. “What has gotten into you Stacey Marie?”

“The Triad kills people, Marco.” I sigh, running fingers through my blonde hair. “I don’t want to have our people -our family- killed off by these guys. I don’t want their blood on my hands. I don’t want you or Dad or David or Mike to die either. Hell, I don’t want to die.”

“What about the Gambino Family?” He asks. “Do you care about what happens to them?”

“I could give two fucks about what happens to them.” I honestly reply. “Working together doesn’t mean we suddenly are friends. But Franco has a great point; together we’ll be an unstoppable force. We’re the biggest names in the cocaine and firearms industries. Our families are feared alone; but together? Not even The Triad could fuck with us.”

“I don’t like this.” Marco states, bluntly. “I think this could seriously bite us in the ass. But you’re right; both you and Franco. And you know I’d rather die than admit that Baby Face is right. But you know Dad and Mike will need a lot more convincing than me. Dad got royally fucked over by the Gambino Family.”

“Why do you think I told Franco that in order for me to convince Dad, I’d have to convince you?” I question him. “I may be his voice of reason but Dad would never do business with anyone without consulting you first. You’re his right hand man.”

“Do you trust them?” Marco asks, nodding his head towards Franco. “Do you really trust them?”

“I trust them about as far as I can throw them.” I reply. “But I also trust them enough not to fuck us over. Franco’s right; we need each other. They’ll need us; they can’t be stupid enough to screw us over.”

“I hope you’re right.” He says before pulling me into a hug. “I can’t nearly lose any more family members because of that Family.”

“We’ll make it through,” I mutter into his chest. “One way or another.”
♠ ♠ ♠
chapter title credit: I'm a Wanted Man by Royal Deluxe.

comment&subscribe?