Alarm Clock

MORNING, 7:40 AM

ONASIS RESIDENCE / ANTIGONE’S BEDROOM — MORNING
.
.
.

ANTIGONE ONASIS and RAJA SINGH are bundled in her bed. RAJA rests his head on her left shoulder as his slender arms wrap themselves around her torso. He sighs blissfully as ANTIGONE bops her nose lovingly on his forehead.

RAJA hums as a response, breaking the silence.


RAJA
(closes his eyes)
It’s almost time, you know.

ANTIGONE
(smiles weakly)
I know.


RAJA tights his grip on her waist, snuggling closer to her body. ANTIGONE begins to run her slender fingers through his dark hair as a means of comfort for both of them.

ANTIGONE (CONT'D)
I wish time didn’t go by so fast.


RAJA opens his eyes, staring the alarm clock that sits on his lover’s nightstand. The clock reads 7:41 AM. His expression turns sorrowful.

RAJA
Do you think I should go now? I really don’t want to.

ANTIGONE
I don’t want you to go, though. It’s a bit early, no?

RAJA
(nods in agreement)
True, but whenever it’s time, I never get to say goodbye.

ANTIGONE
(frowns)
You know I hate goodbyes, Raj.


RAJA looks up at ANTIGONE, noticing the frown decorated on her face. He scoots his body a bit, now sitting beside her on the bed.

RAJA
(pecks her neck lightly, smiling against her skin)
Yeah, but not goodbye kisses though.


ANTIGONE giggles from the tickles of his facial hair.

ANTIGONE
You’re right about that.


ANTIGONE quickly glimpses at the clock. It reads 7:45 AM.


ANTIGONE (CONT'D)
(looks almost lost in thought)
Do you think this will ever work outside of this bedroom?

RAJA
(stares with gloomy eyes)
I hope one day it does. But for now—


RAJA stops to put a locket of ANTIGONE’s auburn hair behind her left ear. His index finger and thumb lightly skate down from her earlobe to underneath her chin. RAJA rubs her chin, the tip of his thumb barely touching her lower lip.


RAJA (CONT'D)
(glances at her lips)
— We just have to keep riding this dream until it becomes a reality, Tiggy.

ANTIGONE
(smiles at the nickname)
I guess you’re right.


RAJA pecks the corner of ANTIGONE’s lips.

RAJA
Besides, it’s so warm under these blankets.


Twenty-six seconds of silence falls between the lovers. The only noise that fills ANTIGONE’s bedroom is the sound of their shallow breathes. ANTIGONE has her head rested on RAJA’s chest. She tries not to fall asleep to the sound of his heartbeat. His tan fingers trace shapes on her bare skin.

ANTIGONE
Raj?

RAJA
(looks down at ANTIGONE)
Yeah?

ANTIGONE
(a tear slips in the corner of her eye)
I don’t want this dream to end.


RAJA can feel a tear stain his shirt. He soothingly hums a random melody to ANTIGONE as he looks at the time. It is now 7:51 AM.

ANTIGONE (CONT'D)
I wish I could be in this moment forever.

RAJA
Me too. It’s almost time, and I don’t wanna go yet.


ANTIGONE
(grips on his t-shirt)
But you don’t have to go, you know.

RAJA
(sighs)
You and I both know that I don’t have a choice, my love.


ANTIGONE realizes the truth in his words and nods in agreement. She stares at her fist and the bundle of clothing she holds for a moment. Slowly and reluctantly, her fingers loosen their grip on RAJA’s t-shirt.

ANTIGONE
I know. I’m sorry that I'm super clingy right now. It’s just that I miss you when you’re not with me and it’s hard to let go of you.


RAJA
Don’t be sad, Tiggy. Because when the alarm goes off, and you start the rest of your day, I will always be there. I will be in the air that breezes past your skin. I will be the stars that you wish to every night and the same sun that rises on your heavens.


They both sit up on the bed, ignoring the clock. RAJA makes ANTIGONE look at him by caressing her face in his hands, thumb pads wiping away leftover tears.


RAJA (CONT'D)
And I’ll be in the clouds, waiting for you, babu.


Forty-two painful seconds go by. The lovers do not speak but instead, rest their foreheads against each other. In the corner of ANTIGONE’s eye, she can see the photo frame with the reflection of the time. It is 7:56.


ANTIGONE
(whispers)
We’ll be reunited outside of this room again one day, do you think?

RAJA
(gives a weak smile)
Of course, and I’ll be out there waiting for you.


ANTIGONE goes in to hug RAJA, who faintly chuckles at his lover’s affections. She breathes him deeply, the scent of sandalwood and pine flowing in her nostrils like rivers. ANTIGONE wants to keep remembering that scent, to keep remembering RAJA.

ANTIGONE
You smell like an earthly comfort.

RAJA
(chuckles)
Is that so?

ANTIGONE
(nods)
Yes. And it’s good because that means everything in this Earth will remind me of you.


RAJA smiles sadly at this. He rests his chin on the top of ANTIGONE’s head, tightening his embrace on her. A single tear slips down his cheek as his eyes meet the clock one last time.

RAJA
(whispers)
Close your eyes love, it’s almost time.

ANTIGONE
(follows instructions and whispers)
Okay, Raj.


It is 7:59. They have approximately 49 seconds left until the alarm clock goes off.


RAJA
(whispers)
When the alarm goes off, just remember what I said. Okay, Tiggy?

ANTIGONE
(whispers)
I will.

RAJA
(whispers)
And if I don’t come back, remember that you never lost me. I’ll be in the clouds, okay? That’s where you’ll find me.

ANTIGONE
(whispers)
S' agapo, Raja.

RAJA
(whispers)
I love you too, Antigone. So fucking much. Never forget that.


RAJA goes in for a kiss. They melt into each other’s lips, molding perfectly like missing pieces in a puzzle. There's a slight wetness and the faint taste of salt from their tears.

RAJA
(whispers)
Okay, babu, you can open your eyes now.


ANTIGONE wakes up and opens her eyes at the sound of the alarm. She stares at the clock; it is 8 AM. She turns to face the right side of the bed. ANTIGONE frowns at the emptiness and lack of warmth on the sheets. ANTIGONE stares at a picture frame for a moment. She sighs heavily as she turns on her back, staring at the white ceiling.


ANTIGONE
I wish I could sleep forever because that’s when I know you’re still here.

.
.
.

END SCENE

.
.
.

•❀──────✧⋆♥⋆✧──────❀•

.
.
.
.


It was beautiful, the way her dreams played like cinematic records. If only Antigone could grab onto the film and hold onto it a bit longer, but she knew that she needed to let them play. Because one day, this movie had to end and she could either start another or let herself replay it again and again. Deep down though, she knows better than to press that replay button forever.

Antigone needed to move on from the dream. Antigone needed to move on from Raja.

She finds her sitting on the grass, the aroma of fresh pine lingering in the air from the nearby trees. Slender fingers trace familiar shapes that were one drawn on her bare skin. There is a visible chip on the marble, making her frown at the sight.

“I wish things didn’t end up this way,” she whispers, staring at her dirty fingernails. She feels foolish for digging her nails into the dirt as if something would happen. She knows each time, nothing ever does. “Do you still love me even if you’re not here?”

A tearful chuckle escapes her lips as she feels the wind blow past her ever so gently — Raja's voice echos in the caves of her mind.

“I will be in the air that breezes past your skin.”


“I’m stupid for forgetting,” she replies, wiping the stray tears that stain her cheeks.

Antigone sits silently on the grass for a bit longer. The sun opens the curtains and shines itself above Antigone. Her eyes close blissfully at the sudden warm, it reminds her of his arms or the blankets in her bedroom. The Greek girl supposes that maybe they are finally together outside of that bedroom once and for all, after so long.

“You left this life too soon, my love. But all that matters now is that we’re here at this moment.”

She lies on the ground, her long locks brushing Raja’s gravestone. The warmth of the sun engulfs her slender body. Tidal waves of tears crash upon the shores of her skin as she gazes at the sky. Clouds are floating aimlessly above her. As she closes her eyes, she could almost feel his body next to her as he whispers in her ear.

“I’ll be in the clouds, waiting for you. That’s where you’ll find me.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I don’t know what compelled me to write it in a script format for most of this one shot, but I went for it and I’m not looking back lmao.

Babu (BA-boo) - “My love” in Hindi.
S' agapo (S-AH-gah-pow) - “I love you” in Greek.