Status: Work In Progess

Creator of Figures

Follow the Leader

They walked through the forest. Through the giant oak trees where the leaves reach to touch the sun. Past the rose bushes where the red roses bloom. Over the twigs and the rocks scattered throughout the path was their final destination. A crimson colored lake. A lake where the living that lie beneath remained unseen. A lake claimed to be filled with wonders.

Their heels clicked like a bell. Ringing through the silent windy night. The breeze a little strong. The leaves on their attire moved with it. Some of them splattered with unnatural colors. Bright and bold. The figures, though very colorful, had an eerie aura surrounding their being, and it stayed with them as they strode through the trees.

Those hiding could feel the intensity. As they peered through the bushes, they could make out features. Form their strange clothes to the weapons they held to their positions.

“Alexander, what are they?” A woman whispered.

“I’m uncertain. I’ve seen no human wear clothes like they do,” he responded.

Two were in the back holding both ends of a rope, and in between them was a young girl, had to be only sixteen, being pulled at the wrist. Scars and bruises all over her body. Every time she refused to move forward, or if she slowed down. They would yank the rope with great force, and she would whimper as the rope sank deeper into her skin. Another two were in the front holding spears. Marching like ants.

“They don’t look so tough. I bet we could take them,” a young man scoffed.

“Be quiet, and don’t get too cocky,” the woman argued. “Not only don’t we have any defenses, but we don’t know who we’re dealing with.”

In between the guards were four other figures carrying a throne on their shoulders with someone sitting upon it. Assuming to be their queen. He outfits was the fanciest and yet the most exaggerated. With a crown on top of her head. Yet instead of being made of gold, she created it with vines. Instead of imbedding with jewels, she imbedded with flowers. She looked like royalty.

“What should we do?”

Alexander couldn’t look away. It wasn’t just the way she looked. It was her presence. Her eyes captivated him. He never seen such an icy blue hue. Shimmering under the moonlight sun. Yet like ice, they seemed cold.

“Alexander?”

His eyes stayed on her as the group walked past where they were hiding and continued down the trail. Fearing of losing sight. Alexander moved forward and beckoned the others to follow.

“Alexander, why are we following them?”

“I don’t know, Darlene. Let’s say it's for the good of science.” Alexander trudged faster down the terrain. Yet tiptoed over obstacles and kept his distance. His colleges struggled to follow.

At the end of the line walked the young man from before. Though he sounded tough, he was far from it. He was scrawny. His ego is bigger than his body. His personality was cowardly. It seemed to show the deeper they got into the wilderness. For his fear seemed to worsen. Legs were shaking, teeth chattering, his body was getting the chills. He was so scared that he couldn’t pay attention to what was in front of him. He only cared about the everlasting sounds of the crickets chirping and the howling of the wolves.

As he walked past a tree, he heard a rustling sound coming from a bush not too far from where he was standing. There was a pair of yellow eyes looking back at him. Upon seeing this, he stopped in his tracks.

What is that? Confused as to if what he was seeing was real. Suddenly the eyes blinked. He let a scream so loud that it woke up the sleeping birds. The sound of squawking filled the forest.

On instinct, Darlene went to cover his mouth, and the whole group stopped what they were doing. Before all go ducking low behind the bushes once more. The figures halted their journey and looked around.

“Did you hear that your highness?” A guard in the front asked.

“I’m sure the whole forest heard it. Just listen to the bird. They seem distraught being woken up like this. Where do you think it came from?”

“I’m not sure. Do you wish for us to investigate your highness?” The two guards waiting for their cue.

The queen looked up at the moon. “The night sun is almost at its peak. We have little time. Do not worry about investigating now. I have someone already on the job.”

“Yes, your highness.”

“Now continue onward and bring the prisoner!”

From the bushes, Darlene heard the footsteps getting fainter. Taking this chance, she removed her hand from the boy’s mouth, allowing him to breathe.

Darlene yelled, “Phillip, are you trying to get use killed!” If she had been a second later. They could have all gotten killed in a heartbeat. The scream Phillip just made could also attract unwanted guest that could tear them limb from limb. That's what worried Darlene the most.

Alexander watched as the group of strangers walked off, and though he didn’t express it, it disappointed him.

“Come on, we can still catch up to them.”

“Guys, I think a monster being followed.”

“What are you talking about?” Another member of the group, Henry asked him.

“I saw eyes, yellow eyes, in the bushes, just watching me.” Phillip pointed toward the bush.

Every body looked toward it. At first there was nothing. It was just a bush. A few seconds have passed, and silence took over the group. Alexander’s patience was wavering.

“There is nothing there, Phillip. You must have imagined things. Can we move on, please?”

“Yeah, Phillip, we don’t have time for pranks.” Darlene crossed her arms and looked at Phillip in disappointment.

“Hey, I know what I saw!”

At those words, the bush rustled, surprising everyone. Especially Darlene, who grabbed onto the person closest to her, that person being Phillip. Phillip was doing the same and was hanging onto Darlene like his life depended on it.

“See!”

“Oh my gosh,” Darlene cried. “You were right. We’re all gonna die!”

Alexander, being the only brave soul, made his way towards the bush.

“Dude, get away from there!”

They watched as their leader looked through the bush leaves. Pushing branches out of the way to get a glimpse of the monster. When he saw the monster that Phillip claimed to see. He couldn’t help but laugh at the sight.

“What’s so funny?”

Alexander grabbed hold of the ‘monster’, then held it up for everyone to see.

“He’s your monster, Phillip,” he chuckled. “A cat.”

The felines fur was all black. Sleek and thin. Its body was not only skinny but also long. The cat blink repeatedly before setting its eyes on Phillip.

After seeing what its was. Darlene realized the position she and Phillip were in and quickly pushed him away.

“You wasted all of our time because of a cat!”

“Well, excuse me for not being able to see in the dark!”

The cat suddenly squirmed in Alexander’s arms. Noticing this, he set the cat down and watched as it walked away from the group. Only to stop and look back at them. Like it was waiting for them.

“I think it wants us to follow it.” His legs moved on their own. Walking towards the stray without a second thought.

“Your really going trust a cat?” Phillip asked, confused.

Alexander thought to himself. This cat was strange. Not only did it come looking for them, but it was about to lead them to who knows where. The direction, however, was the same direction that the queen and her guards went in. All Alexander could think about was her. Her icy blue eyes, her pale skin, her yellow hair. He had to see her again, even if his life depended on it.

“Yes, I am.” Alexander turned toward the feline. “Lead the way.” The cat somehow understood and moved. Alexander followed it. Leaving the other three behind.

“Alexander, wait for us!”