Your Hurricane

001

My hand was in his as the General Manager and President of the San Jose Sharks walked up onto the stage. Lacing my fingers with his, he applied pressure to my hand and leaned into me, his lips brushing against my ear as he whispered to me.

“Relax, Soap. It’s going to be you.” The smooth tone of his voice gave me a few seconds of tranquility as I shut my eyes and let his words soak in.

Nodding my head, I straightened my back and glanced over at him, his big brown eyes holding mine. Shaking my head, I turned back to the stage and watched as the General Manager walked up to the podium and set the jersey down. Greeting everyone, he sucked in a deep breath and looked up with a wide smile.

“The San Jose Sharks team select, from the United States National Development Team,” The brunette next to me was tense, his fingers holding tightly onto mine as we both leaned forward. I swore I could feel his heartbeat with my own as the man on stage spoke.

“Sophia Stevens.”

The arena erupted into cheers as Auston and I jumped to our feet. As tears threatened to fall from my eyes, I looked up and watched as the brunette wiped tears from his cheeks before pulling me tightly into his chest. Kissing the top of my head a few hundred times, he looked at me with a huge smile and shook his head.

“You did it, Soap, you fucking did it,” after a kiss to the forehead, I turned to my dad who was about to start sobbing. Hugging him, I moved down to my mom and gave her a huge hug as well. Once I made it to the aisle, I looked up and watched as a few guys sitting on the aisle seats reached out and either shook my hand or pulled me in for a hug and congratulated me.

By the time I reached the stage, I was seconds from tears. The lights and crowd was an image from my wildest dreams. I knew other woman had done this. I knew other women had been drafted, but to be picked in the first round. To go tenth overall. Was a new feat. As I shook the hands of the men on stage, I peeled off my blazer and watched as the President of the Sharks gave me a wide smile and handed me the jersey with my last name pressed onto the back.

“Welcome to the team, Ms. Stevens.”

Nodding, I sucked in a small breath and whispered a thank you. Pulling the jersey over my head, I looked up and watched the men come together for a picture. Standing in the middle, I smiled for a few photos and then followed the men off of the stage. When I reached the floor, I was greeted by a woman with a headset on. With a wide smile, she pulled me along to a table setup with microphones and a few reporters. Sitting down, I looked up and laughed when all of their hands went up at once.

After being asked the same questions in five different ways, the next draftee was ready and the same woman ushered me from that table to the back of the stage. Once she told me that I could grab some food and a drink, I let out a deep breath and took a minute to take in my surroundings.

My heart was soaring as I saw a bunch of the men I had practiced with in the Draft program send me waves and winks. A few came over to me and congratulated me with hugs and high-fives. After a few small conversations, I grabbed a bottle of water and went to take a seat when I felt a heavy hand on my shoulder.

As I turned around, I felt the world turn gray. Everything was void of color but him and his bright blue eyes.

“Welcome to the Sharks, Sophia.” Joe Pavelski sent me a dazzling smile, his big blue eyes causing all of the words in my brain to disappear. His chin was covered in a well groomed beard that was a similar strawberry blonde as his perfectly pushed back hair.

Sucking in a sharp breath, I locked my fingers together. “I’m excited to be a part of the organization.”

“Ah, cut the bullshit,” he laughed, his eyes shimmering in the lights, “I’m going to be your teammate, not your boss.”

Without a second thought, I let out a sigh and sent him a small smile. “I’m happy not to be stuck in the cold.”

Pavelski let out a loud laugh as he jerked his head back and ran a hand through his hair. Shaking his head, he looked back at me and flashed me a wide smile. “I thought the same thing when I was drafted. Granted I went 205th and not 10th, so I was happy just to be drafted.”

“Not everyone can be drafted first, Pavs,” the other man laughed as he walked up to us, a wide smile on his face as he turned to me. “Joe-”

“Thornton, wow, it’s great to meet you.” I felt starstruck as I slipped my hand into his and shook it.

“Oh, so you know him but-”

“Excited?” Thornton asked me, his smile easing every tense muscle in my body.

“Terrified, but… Yeah, excited.” I could feel the blush creep up my neck as I felt the blondes icy blue eyes on me.

“How do you know who he is?” The blonde barked, his eyes wide as he looked from Thornton to I. After a few seconds, I shrugged my shoulder and felt the blush reach my cheeks as a small smile formed on my lips.

“How do you not know Jumbo?”

“Jumbo!” The blonde rolled his eyes as he slapped a hand across his eyes. “ You know this old man, but not the captain of your team, for fucks-”

“Oh, you’re Pavelski?” I held back the laughter in my voice as I watched the man’s features covered with shock.

“Wow!” Pavelski threw his hands up and looked around at the other recent draft picks. Pointing to one, he waved him over. As Dylan Strome walked over, Pavelski gave him a pat on the back and shook his hand. “Congrats kid.”

“Thanks man,” Dylan shot him a smile and then looked over at me. “Proud of you, Soap.”

“Thanks, Dly.” I flashed him a wide smile and then went to speak when Dylan looked over and parted his lips.
“Joe Thornton, holy shit,” Dylan stuck his hand out and quickly shook Jumbo’s hand. “Wow, it’s amazing to meet you I-”

“Hey, kid, what about me?” Pavelski asked, his eyes wide as he watched Dylan’s cheeks burn a bright red as confusion washed over his features.

“I’m sorry man, I don’t know-”

“Don’t know who he is, eh?” Thornton snickered as he looked over at Pavelski who was rolling his eyes. “He’s not important, have a good summer, alright?” Dylan nodded, bid us all a goodbye, told me he would text me later, and then disappeared back to the table that held a few other top draft picks.

As the two men in front of me bickered back and forth, I found eyes stuck to Pavelski. I soaked in every pore on his face before slowly dragging my eyes down his shirt, then to his arms that were strong and defined through his shirt. As I reached his hands, I watched as a flash over silver passed through my vision. .

The whole world stopped spinning as felt reality hit me like a loaded freight train. Blinking a few times, I parted my lips and went to speak when I watched the blonde turn to me, his big blue eyes locking onto mine as the other man walked away, chuckling to himself.

“Joe Pavelski, Captain of the San Jose Sharks,” he stuck his hand out to me, his wedding ring shimmering in the light as I looked at his strong hand. Nodding a little, I placed my hand in his and watched as his eyes darted to mine as the skin-to-skin contact sent waves of electricity through my veins. Blinking hard, I pulled away and sent him a soft smile.

“I knew who you were,” the smile that appeared on his face almost reduced me to a puddle, “I was just playing along.”

Pavelski looked at me for a minute, his smile wide and genuine as he nodded a few times and rubbed the side of his face with his hand. “You’re going to fit in a little too well on the team.”

Smiling, I sucked in a sharp breath and looked down at my hands, “I hope so.”

“I’ve done my research,” Pavelski leaned into me, the faint smell of his deodorant and shampoo filling my sinuses. “I’ve got the perfect spot for you on my line.”

Breath catching in my chest, I looked up into his bright blue eyes and felt my whole body grow warm as he sent me a wink and then took a step back. “I’ll see you in a few weeks, Sophia.”

With a nod, I watched as Pavelski sent me another dazzling smile, then disappeared back into the main part of the arena. As I stood there, my eyes zeroed in on where he was standing, I felt a shiver run up and down my spine.

Whatever that was, whatever these feelings were, needed to disappear, and fast.