When We Were

Nineteen: Time

Placing her mug of tea down onto the coffee table, Emilia slid into the space ahead of her laptop, her face immediately brightening with a grin when she spotted that Lionel was already calling. It was something that they had struggled with, finding times where they were both available had proved a little more difficult than either of them had anticipated that it would, but it meant that Emilia looked forwards to their calls more, even if they were few and far between. She was just grateful for any time where she could hear his voice or see his face on the screen.

Leaning forwards, she eagerly accepted the call before she leant back in her seat, grinning warmly at the camera. “Is it weird if I tell you how good it is to see your face?” she announced, shyly tucking her messy hair back off of her face.

Lionel breathed out a soft laugh, his hand sheepishly rubbing the side of his neck. “It’s a little forward” he quipped “I mean, it’s normal to answer a call with a hello, but you know what? Seeing as it seems to say you’re happy to see me, I’m going to say its fine” he added.

Emilia laughed. “I am happy to see you” she mused “I mean, I’d be happier if you were about to show up at my door with some breakfast, but this will do for now” she added.

Lionel offered her a slightly rueful smile at her reference to his not being there before he shook his head, clearing his throat slightly. “It’s still early there, huh?” he asked.

“Early enough that Isaac’s not come back with Luca yet” Emilia replied as she leant forwards to collect her mug of tea.

“How are things?” Lionel asked.

Emilia shrugged as she swallowed a mouthful of her drink. “Isaac’s still Isaac” she noted “But it’s fine. I’ve been dealing with him for years. Luca’s great, though. He’s actually going to join a football team soon” she added, quickly trying to shift the topic away from Isaac.

Lionel’s lips quirked upwards, slightly amused by how quickly she had shifted the topic away from her ex-boyfriend. “Yeah?” he asked.

“His friends all play” Emilia noted “And one of them asked Luca if he wanted to go and play for his team. He’s so excited about it. Isaac took him out this weekend to get his boots and everything and he called me last night just to show off these boots. You should have seen him” she gushed.

“Does he have a favourite team?” Lionel asked.

“Isaac bought him a Boca shirt a couple of years ago” Emilia mused “But Jordi balanced that out by buying him a Barca shirt. If you asked Luca though, I am almost certain he’d say whatever team was winning a game he was watching” she added with a little laugh.

It was rare, despite Lionel having known about Luca since they’d met again, he’d always been a little reluctant to talk about the little boy, almost seeming unsure about what to say, and Emilia wanted to encourage him to, even if it was just a little at first. If things between the two of them were to work out, he needed to get used to the idea that Luca came along with her.

Lionel grinned. “He sounds a lot like your brother” he quipped.

“He is kind of like Jordi” Emilia agreed with a nod “I knew I shouldn’t have let him babysit so much” she added, scoffing playfully.

Lionel laughed before he shook his head, taking a moment to just admire her as she giggled.

Emilia noticed his staring before she looked down at her lap, pushing her hair behind her ear as her cheeks flushed a light shade of pink. “You’re staring” she mumbled shyly.

“I know” Lionel retorted simply.

“Why?” Emilia prodded.

“You’re beautiful” Lionel replied with a half-smile and a shrug.

Emilia scoffed, half playfully and half embarrassedly. “You’re not that smooth” she mused.

Lionel shook his head. “You look good” he noted “I don’t think I’ve seen you first thing in the morning yet. It’s good on you” he added.

Emilia rolled her eyes, trying, and failing, to keep herself from blushing as she messed with the t-shirt that she wore.

“Is that a guy’s shirt?” Lionel prodded, watching her fiddle with the material.

Emilia glanced down at the t-shirt before she looked up, smirking a little into the camera. “My mother bought it for me when I was pregnant” she noted “It’s a little ratty, but it’s one of my favourites. It’s pretty comfortable to sleep in” she added.

Lionel nodded his head slowly, something which made Emilia giggle. “You can give me one of yours” she noted “The next time your visit, you can leave me one of your t-shirts. That way you’ll be able to recognize it” she added impishly.

Lionel smiled bashfully before he shook his head, gently pushing a hand back through his hair. “You know I can’t wait to...” he trailed off as the sound of Emilia’s doorbell filled the air, something which caused the brunette to drop her head back against the couch, letting a small sound of frustration fall out of her mouth.

“That’s going to be Isaac and Luca, isn’t it?” Lionel asked.

Emilia sat up again, nodding her head. “Sorry” she mumbled.

Lionel shook his head. “You don’t have to apologise, Emmy” he noted.

“I know” Emilia noted “I just...It just doesn’t seem like enough time, that’s all” she added.

Lionel smiled ruefully. “I’ll catch you again soon, yeah?” he asked, listening as the doorbell rang again.

Emilia, who’d been glancing over her shoulder at the front door, nodded before she let out a soft sigh. “I miss you, Leo” she mumbled.

Lionel sighed gently. “I miss you too, Em” he mumbled “I...I can’t wait to see you again” he added gently.

Emilia closed her eyes, allowing the words to hang in the air for a second before it was again disturbed by the doorbell. Taking in a breath, she let it out slowly before she flashed a wobbly smile at the camera. “I wish you were here, Leo” she mumbled “I’ll see you next time” she added, blowing a quick camera at the screen.

Lionel blew her one in return, flashing her a quick sad smile before she closed the laptop down. Staring at it for a second, she let out a soft breath before she stood up, making her way towards the front door. Feeling a slight sting in her eyes, she dabbed them with the bottom of her t-shirt before she pulled the door open, greeting Luca with the best smile that she could muster. “Baby” she cooed.

“Mama!” Luca grinned “I want to show you my boots” he added as he rushed past, thrusting a cardboard box onto the couch.

Emilia watched him pull the paper and the shoes out before she felt a gentle touch against her hip, causing her to turn and glance up at Isaac who stood close to her, a little frown playing on his lips. “Are you alright?” he asked quietly, not wanting to alert Luca who was happily babbling about his boots.

Emilia forced another smile. “Why wouldn’t I be?” she asked, her voice a little too high.

Isaac’s hand moved upwards towards her face, but Emilia jerked back, flashing him another feeble smile. “I’m fine, Isaac” she noted “I’ll see you next week, yeah?” she added.

Isaac nodded, still regarding her dubiously. “Yeah” he confirmed “I’ll see you then, Emmy” he added.

Emilia nodded before she pushed the front door closed, resting back against it for a moment before she pushed herself forwards, joining Luca on the couch so that he could gush about the pair of football boots he held, hoping that it would be enough to distract her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)