When We Were

Fifty: I Wish I Knew What To Do For The Best

“Baby, your boots are in the kitchen. They’re next to the fridge” Emilia called as she wandered out into the living room, listening to Luca’s footsteps as they rushed around the apartment in order to get ready for Isaac’s arrival. They were running late, with Luca having had a friend over for a couple of hours after school, their usual routine had been disturbed and it meant that with only a few minutes before Isaac arrived, Luca was nowhere near ready to depart, something Emilia knew would irk Isaac who’d been quick to reinstate some distance between the two of them after the disaster of a double date they’d gone out on.

Things were awkward between them, more so than they had been before, and whilst they were careful not to let it show around Luca, she knew that things were only going to get worse between them. If he didn’t like the idea that she and Lionel were dating, he was going to like the idea that she was expecting Lionel’s baby even less.

“What about my shirt?” Luca called back “Did you wash it?” he pressed.

Emilia, who’d moved to collect her buzzing phone from its spot on the coffee table, let out a sigh, reluctantly declining Lionel’s call. “It should be in your wardrobe” she replied “I ironed it the other day. If it isn’t there, then check your drawers. I might have mixed it up with some of your other clothes” she added before a knock at the door sounded, causing her to let out another sigh.

Closing her eyes for a second, she tried to relax herself slightly before she stepped towards the door, pulling it open.

Isaac, who was stood on the other side, looked up from his phone, forcing a polite smile onto his face. “Is the little guy ready to go?” he prodded.

Emilia smiled apologetically. “Sorry” she mused “He’d been on at me to let him have a friend over forever and we finally did, but the little girl’s mama was late coming back to get her, so we’re running a little behind. He should be ready in a few minutes though, if you want to come in and wait” she added, sheepishly stepping out of the doorway.

Isaac hesitated for a second before he stepped past her, allowing Emilia to gently push the door closed after him. Pausing, she watched Isaac step a little deeper into the apartment before he rested against the back of the couch, his eyes glancing up at her briefly before he looked down at the floor, causing Emilia to shake her head gently. “How’s Naomi?” she prodded, hoping to a spark a conversation which would stop an awkward, stifling silence to settle.

Isaac scoffed, shaking his head. “It didn’t really survive long after that date we went on, Em” he quipped “I mean, would you have wanted to keep dating me after that?” he asked.

Emilia shifted her weight uncomfortably. “I’m sorry” she murmured “She was...nice” she added, stuck for anything better to say.

Isaac’s lips quirked upwards into a small, amused smirk before he shook his head, refocusing on the floor ahead of him. “She saw you the other day” he noted “She’s a nurse on my department, but she was showing a patient to maternity. Apparently, you were there, looking all chummy with a man that definitely wasn’t Lionel. Something you want to tell me, Em?” he prodded, glancing at her over the top of his glasses.

Emilia opened and closed her mouth a couple of times before she shook her head, letting out a gentle sigh. “Jordi” she whispered.

Isaac tilted his head, wordlessly asking her to elaborate.

“That’s who Naomi saw me with” Emilia clarified “Jordi came with me to my dating scan. I’m 12 weeks pregnant” she added.

Isaac nodded his head slowly. “Luca?” he asked.

“I haven’t told him yet” Emilia replied.

Isaac nodded again, slowly and deliberately. “He’s going to love it” he noted “He’s always wanted to be a big brother” he added.

Emilia smiled softly. “He’ll only be happy if it’s a boy” she mused “He asked me for a baby brother when he was five and when I asked how he’d feel about a sister...let’s just say there was a lot out pouting” she added, letting out little nervous laugh.

Isaac smiled at the sound, but shook his head quickly, trying to pretend that he hadn’t. “How’d Leo take it?” he asked.

“He’s happy” Emilia replied with a little shrug.

“Happier than I was?” Isaac quipped, his smile caught between apologetic and boyish.

Emilia shook her head. “Isaac...” her voice trailed off as Luca bounced into the room, his backpack bouncing against his shoulders as he rushed towards his father, wrapping his arms around his waist.

Isaac flinched, caught by surprise, before he lifted his hand, rubbing Luca’s back gently. “Hey, little one” he cooed “You ready to get out of here and leave your mama in peace?” he prodded as he leant down, kissing the top of his head.

Luca hugged Isaac tighter. “She has been sick” he noted.

Isaac’s lips quirked upwards slightly. He remembered how bad Emilia’s morning sickness had been when she had been pregnant with Luca, and how many times in the early part of her pregnancy they’d sat together in her bathroom, trying to avoid the fighting which was inevitably occurring between their families down the hall. “She could probably use some sleep then” he noted “And maybe a few ginger biscuits” he added knowingly.

Emilia nodded. “I’ve got a stock” she mused.

Isaac nodded before he turned back to Luca, smiling at him gently. “Have you got everything?” he asked “Why don’t you go and check?” he asked.

Luca nodded and ran out of the room, allowing Isaac to focus on Emilia again. Staring at her for a second, he gently bumped the frames of his glasses back up his nose before he sighed. “I know it’s complicated” he noted “I mean, with you here and Leo there...but I won’t let him go, Emmy, you know that, don’t you?” he added.

Emilia nodded. “I’d not ask you to” she mused “But...but I need to figure something out, Isaac. What’s best for Luca, but what’s best for this one too. How I’m supposed to go through the pregnancy with Leo somewhere else. How he’s supposed to deal with the fact that he’s going to miss most of it. I just wish I knew what to do for the best” she added, gently tucking her hair off of her face.

Isaac continued to look at her, his eyes searching his features, before he lowered his stare to her feet. “Our lives are here, Em” he noted gently.

“Maybe they could be there” Emilia whispered.

Isaac didn’t mean to laugh, but he couldn’t stop it falling out of his mouth. “You think your boyfriend is going to want me to move halfway across the world with you, Em?” he pressed.

Emilia shook her head. “I think he’d do anything” she murmured.

Isaac went to say something else, but stopped as Luca walked back into the room. Bumping his glasses up his nose, he stood up properly before he ushered the little boy to the door, pulling it open before he stepped back, his eyes widening a little. “Lionel?” he prodded.

Emilia whipped around, her eyes widening as they settled on Lionel who stood in the doorway, a slightly sheepish grin on his face.

“Surprise” he cooed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)