When We Were

Fifty Five: Whatever You Need To Do

“Luca, please, don’t run off” Emilia huffed as she glanced over at the little boy, making sure that he was still stood beside their carryon bags. He was excited, between seeing Lionel again and having the chance to see the bedroom that Lionel and his mother had promised he could have free reign over, the little boy had been a ball of energy from the moment that he had woken up, and he showed no signs of slowing down, even as Emilia herself began to waver. For her, it’d been a tougher day, whilst Luca had been completely unfazed by seeing his grandparents and uncle with tears in their eyes, it’d struck Emilia like a blow, and it had been hard to shake, no matter how many times everyone had assured her that it was the right decision for her and Luca to make their way to Barcelona. The reality of how different things would be had settled in whilst she had been sat on the plane.

Luca, who’d been looking in the opposite direction, turned around, his eyes wide and innocent. “I was looking for Leo” he called back.

“We’ll find him in a second” Emilia replied “First, I need to find the rest of our bags. So please, just stay there for a minute” she added as she turned back towards the luggage carousel.

Watching it for a moment, she scanned the array of bags which filed past her before the sound of Luca’s laugh rang in her ears, causing her to whip around, watching as he ran through the crowd. Groaning quietly to herself, she abandoned her spot by the carousel and followed after him, watching him weave through the crowd before he came to a sudden stop, his little arms wrapping around the waist of the man ahead of him. “Mama!” he called excitedly “I found Leo!” he added as he turned around, watching Emilia through the crowd.

Lionel, who’d been blinking in surprise at the hug, lifted his head, a slow smile spreading across his face as his eyes landed on Emilia, trailing down slightly towards the little bump that was just about visible beneath her loose t-shirt.

Emilia’s cheeks warmed a little under his stare before she shook her head, refocusing her attention on Luca who smiled up at her sheepishly. “What did I tell you about running off?” she asked “It’s busy, baby, and while I am glad that you found Leo, you can’t just be running off. I am not exactly able to keep up with you” she added, offering him a small smile.

Luca nodded. “Sorry, mama” he mumbled.

“It’s OK” Emilia replied.

Lionel waited a moment before he cleared his throat, offering Emilia a grin that she was quick to mirror shyly “Bags?” he asked.

“Still waiting for them” Emilia replied, sparing a look back towards the luggage carousel.

Lionel followed her stare before he stepped a little closer to her, pressing a soft kiss against her cheek. “Let’s wait, then” he mumbled against her skin.

Emilia’s smile was goofy as the pink on her cheeks turned a shade deeper. Shaking her head, she opened her mouth to say something, but was cut off as Luca tugged on Lionel’s arm, pulling his attention down to him. “Can we talk about my room, please?” he asked quietly.

Lionel breathed out a little laugh before he nodded his head, offering Emilia a small grin over the little boy’s head. “Of course we can” he noted “What’ve you got in mind?” he asked.

Luca grinned and began to talk excitedly, something which made the soft smile on Emilia’s face widen a little, marveling at how well the little boy seemed to be taking things. It was all a big adjustment. He had to get used to sharing her with Lionel, with the baby that would be joining them in a few months, and being away from everything he’d grown up around, but he seemed to be taking things in his stride, even if it was early days, and Emilia couldn’t have been more proud.

~#~
“Leo?”

Lionel, who’d been staring at the screen of his phone, looked up, his eyes settling on Emilia who stood in the doorway, a hesitant smile on her face. it wasn’t the first time, since they’d arrived home from the airport, Emilia had seemed a little tentative around the house, almost as though she still couldn’t quite believe that she was there, but Lionel hadn’t want to prod into it, knowing that, for a little while, things were going to feel strange.

“You need something?” he asked.

Emilia shrugged, letting out a little bashful laugh. “I don’t know” she mused “I mean, I finally convinced Luca to get some sleep and now I am not quite sure what to do with myself. I don’t feel like going to sleep yet, but...I don’t know, I guess I kind of feel a little restless” she stumbled out, not quite able to find the words to express herself.

Lionel quirked a little smile before he lifted his arm, gesturing to the empty seat next to him with a nod. “You could sit with me” he suggested.

Emilia hesitated for a second before she nodded, moving to plop into the seat next to him. Letting out a soft sigh, she cuddled into his side slightly, comforted by the familiar scent of his aftershave. “You smell good” she mumbled.

Lionel smiled, kissing the top of her head. “Gracias” he mumbled into her hair.

Emilia sat quietly for a few seconds before she tilted her head back slightly, her blue eyes searching his face. “I’m sorry for being quiet” she murmured.

“Em...”

“It’s just been a big day” Emilia continued quietly “And I guess I am still...still trying to get my head around it. Don’t get me wrong, I am thrilled to be here, and Luca seems to be too, but leaving home...Jordi had tears in his eyes, that’s how a big deal this is” she added, spluttering out a laugh that was a little louder than she had intended it to be.

Lionel set his arm around her shoulders, squeezing gently. “It’s OK” he mumbled.

Emilia smiled shakily, her blue eyes a little misty with tears. “Sorry” she whispered “I managed to get through the whole day without...without this” she added, gesturing to her tearful eyes.

“Cry if you want to, Em” Lionel mused “You can go full on sobbing if that’s what you need. I’ll just be waiting with tissues” he added with a small, reassuring smile.

Emilia snuffled, laughing gently. “Is that really how you envisioned my first night here?” she prodded, dabbing her eyes with the back of her hand.

Lionel shrugged. “If it’s what you need to do, I am not going to stop you” he mused “This is your home, Em, and that’s what I want it to feel like. You can go and throw all of my stuff out of my wardrobe if you want to, or rearrange the bathroom shelves to suit you, whatever you need to do. It’s about you feeling comfortable here. So, have at it, whatever you want” he added as he leant down, kissing the crown of her head again.

Emilia leant back into him, thinking for a few seconds, before she nodded. “I want to get changed” she noted “Can I have one of your t-shirts?” she asked.

Lionel laughed and nodded. “My t-shirts are your t-shirts, Emmy” he mused.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)