When We Were

Seventy Six: I’ll Be Seeing To It

“Jordi, get in here!”

Emilia grinned as she tucked her hand away, watching the screen as Samia turned away, calling out towards Jordi. They had left it a few days, after receiving assurances from Martha and Elias that they wouldn’t spill the beans, Emilia and Lionel had waited a couple of days before they’d started to make calls to their friends and family, and Emilia was enjoying them, even if she was still a little in awe of the fact that Lionel had asked. Hearing people fuss over the ring or answering questions about how the question had been popped was helping the idea to settle in.

Twisting the ring around her finger, she grinned at it for a second before the sound of movement on camera reached her ears, causing her to glance up, watching as Jordi, visibly flustered, moved into shot. “Did someone die?” he pressed.

Emilia rolled her eyes, not missing the laugh that Lionel, who was sat on the other side of the room, let out. “Why would you think that?” she asked.

“Samia yelled” Jordi replied “And Felix is currently napping in the same room. We usually don’t even whisper when he’s napping” he added.

“I got excited” Samia defended “Your sister just dropped some huge news” she added.

Jordi turned back towards the camera, his lips quirking upwards slightly. “Oh?” he prodded, feigning innocence.

Emilia felt her cheeks warm a little before she sheepishly held up her hand, showing off her ring. “Leo asked me to marry him” she revealed shyly.

Jordi’s expression flicked between emotions quickly, moving from his usual smirk to a softer, tender smile. “He’s a smart man, then” he noted.

“Really?” Emilia asked softly, a little overwhelmed by her brother’s genuine response “No ‘I knew it’?” she added.

Jordi laughed. “I did know it” he quipped.

Emilia rolled her eyes good-naturedly.

“But that doesn’t mean that it isn’t great news” Jordi continued “You two are...”

“You’re wonderful together” Samia chimed in.

“Yeah, you are” Jordi agreed “And I am happy for you both. I can’t wait to hear you thank me in your wedding toast” he added.

Emilia scoffed, but was cut off before she could reply by the sound of Maisie’s cries emanating away from the baby monitor which sat on the table beside her computer. Shifting her glance between the laptop and the monitor, she let out a gentle sigh before she stood up, carrying the computer over towards Lionel who looked up from his phone. “I could go and get Maisie” he announced.

“It’s just Jordi” Emilia replied, settling the computer down “It won’t be anywhere near as bad as my mama” she added with a grin.

Lionel went to object, but Emilia was quicker, passing him the laptop before she dropped a kiss on his cheek, quickly leaving the room.

“How was my mother?”

Lionel blinked at the sound of Jordi’s voice before he looked down at the camera, a sheepish smile on his face. “Enthusiastic” he replied “We were on the phone with her for nearly ninety minutes” he added.

“Only ninety?” Jordi quipped “When I asked Sam, she came over here and wouldn’t leave for nearly four hours. In the end, I think Emmy had to lie and tell her that she needed a lift home for her and Luca” he added impishly.

“I think David convinced her to hang up” Lionel mused “Though, after we’d handled your parents, we handled mine and that was probably as bad” he added.

“You think this is bad” Jordi chirped “Wait until you actually pick out a date and start making plans. You’ll learn a lot, like how many different shades there can be of one colour. We argued about napkins for about two weeks, didn’t we, Sam?” he prodded, glancing towards his wife for confirmation.

“You were just too stubborn to admit that you were wrong” Samia quipped.

Lionel tilted his head. “It was that big a decision?” he asked.

Jordi shrugged lazily. “In retrospect, no” he noted “But it will feel like it when you’re making the plans. Honestly, now, I couldn’t even tell you what colour the stupid napkins were. Though, I could tell you, in detail, what Sam’s dress looked like or what colour flowers she had in her bouquet” he added.

Lionel smiled gently as Samia cooed, pressing a kiss to her husband’s cheek.

“What made you finally do it, then?” Jordi asked after a moment.

“I love her” Lionel replied “And I can’t see myself stopping loving her” he added.

“You know I know her, right?” Jordi poked, his voice playful “She’s annoying, there’s no denying it” he added.

“Jordi!” Samia scolded, jabbing her husband’s ribs.

“He knows I am teasing” Jordi replied “Don’t you, Leo?” he asked.

Lionel nodded his head. “Of course” he noted “I mean, half of what you and Emmy say to one another is little insults. It’s how you show your affection” he added with a small smile.

Samia rolled her eyes before she mumbled an excuse, shuffling off screen.

Jordi seemed to watch her for a second before he turned back to the camera, his expression a little more serious. “You know I am not a big fan of the scary older brother bit” he noted.

“Jordi...”

“Just tell me that you love her again” Jordi noted, offering Lionel a timid smile.

“I love her, Jordi” Lionel answered earnestly “I really love her” he added.

Jordi was quiet for a second, seemingly searching Lionel’s face, before he nodded his head slowly. “Good” he noted “Because you’re going to be stuck with her for the rest of your life. I’ll be seeing to it personally” he added, his expression growing familiarly impish.

Lionel laughed.

“I have a couple of pieces of advice for you” Jordi noted “I’d say elope, but we both know that my mother would find you” he added.

“Marcella Moretti is psychic when it comes to her babies” Lionel chirped with a grin.

“She really is” Jordi agreed “So, I suggest hiring a planner. We had to, in the end. Pick a date that’s a while off, too. It’ll creep up on you before you know it” he added.

Lionel nodded.

“And talk about Isaac” Jordi continued “If you want Luca there, then talk to him, don’t just assume and let him cause trouble. I’d hate to see Emmy’s day ruined by that man” he added, his expression tightening slightly.

Lionel nodded his head. “Will do” he mused.

Jordi nodded before he grinned. “You’re actually going to end up being my brother” he quipped “You’re going to be a Moretti” he gushed.

Lionel just smiled at him, not entirely sure that the awe of the situation would ever wear off entirely.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)