When We Were

Ninety Nine: That You Are

Pulling the jacket that she wore tighter around her shoulders, Emilia pulled her knees up towards her chest, more than happy to have a moment of quiet in the middle of a night which didn’t seem to be ending any time soon. She had known that it would be long one, Jordi had been quick to point out that his wedding reception had easily made it into the early hours of the morning before people had started to leave, and whilst she wasn’t in a hurry to curtail the party, she had been looking for a moment to sneak out. She had enjoyed the fussing, as much as she had thought she wouldn’t, she had quite liked being the centre of the attention of scores of fussing relatives and friends, but she still wanted a moment, a second where she could sit down and take in the fact that she and Lionel were something more than boyfriend and girlfriend.

Reaching one hand up, she attempted to smooth out a few flyaway hairs, only to feel her hand bumped out of the way, something which made her roll her eyes before she looked up, smiling softly up at Lionel who stood over her. “What are you doing out here?” she asked gently.

Lionel stepped around her, settling on the other end of the bench she sat on. “I was looking for you” he quipped “Whose jacket is that?” he asked.

Emilia looked down at the jacket she wore before she looked back over at him, smiling sheepishly. “I thought it was yours” she quipped “It was left on the back of what I thought was your seat so I just took it. It’s not, though, is it?” she asked.

Lionel tugged on his own jacket, smirking slightly.

“Jordi can just deal for a few minutes” Emilia noted “I was going back inside soon anyway. What’ve you done with the children?” she asked.

“My mama took Maisie upstairs” Lionel replied as he gently took a hold of her feet, moving to settle them in his lap “And the last time I saw Luca, he was playing hide and seek with a few of the other kids. Do you want me to go and find him?” he asked.

Emilia shook her head. “Not yet” she mused “Isaac will be here soon to collect him, but until then, we should leave him to it” she added.

Lionel, who’d been gently tracing shapes against her ankle, stilled slightly at the mention of Isaac’s name, but Emilia didn’t say anything. The last thing she wanted was for their wedding day to feature another conversation about her ex-boyfriend. Resting her elbow on the back of the bench, she rested her head against her hand, her eyes marvelling at Lionel as another soft smile took over her face. “You’re my husband” she breathed happily.

Lionel let out a bright laugh, not looking away from the patterns his was tracing against her ankle. “You’ve just realised that?” he asked.

Emilia shook her head. “No” she mused “I was just trying out the word. It’s still so strange to hear” she added.

Lionel looked at her, his face lit up with a tender smile. “I know” he mused “I’ve heard people call you my wife all day, and I am still not used to it” he added.

“I love it, though” Emilia cooed “Novelty aside, I love hearing people call you that. My husband” she added, grinning goofily as the word fell out of her mouth.

Lionel lifted an amused eyebrow. “How much champagne did you have?” he asked.

Emilia motioned for a little bit by closing her forefinger and thumb together. “I had some during the toasts” she mused “And Samia insisted I have some with her. I had wine with dinner too. I might have had some to get through conversations with some of my aunts” she babbled.

Lionel smiled at her fondly. “Do you remember us having champagne at Jordi’s wedding?” he asked.

Emilia nodded, her eyelids drooping slightly.

“You were so nervous when you asked if we could spend more time together” Lionel continued.

“I liked you” Emilia announced as she sat up a little more “It had been a long time since I had liked someone, but I liked you instantly” she added.

Lionel ducked his head, his cheeks tinting a soft shade of pink.

Emilia leant forwards, pressing her lips against his cheek. “I love you” she whispered.

“I love you, too” Lionel replied.

Emilia rested her head against his temple, enjoying the quiet for a few moments, before the sound of someone clearing their throat reached their ears, causing Emilia to lean back slightly, glancing up at Jordi who stood a little away from the two of them, a slightly apologetic look on his face. “Sorry for the interruption” he mused “But I thought I should come and tell you that Isaac’s here for Luca” he added.

Emilia nodded her head slowly. “Can you go and find Luca for me?” she asked.

Jordi nodded dutifully and ducked back inside.

Emilia shuffled her feet out of Lionel’s lap, placing them down on the ground before she stood up, self-consciously smoothing out the material of her dress. Tucking her hair behind her ear, she took in a deep breath before she moved to take a step forwards, only to stop when Lionel’s hand slipped into hers. Blinking a couple of times, she turned to look up at him, her head tilting to one side. “You don’t really have to come and see Isaac with me” she noted.

Lionel just twisted their fingers together in response, something which made Emilia shake her head, stepping forwards with him at her side. “Promise me you’ll behave” she said as they walked.

“I always do” Lionel replied.

“I know” Emilia noted “But today wasn’t just any other day and he was still so…Isaac about it. Promise me you won’t let him spoil this” she added.

Lionel nodded. “I promise” he confirmed.

Emilia spared him a thankful smile before they reached the foyer where Isaac stood.

At the sound of footsteps, Isaac looked up, the smile that had been meant for Emilia immediately faltering when his eyes caught sight of her brand new husband at her side, his hand settled snuggly in hers. Hesitating for a second, he seemed to compose himself before he stuck his hand out ahead of him, offering it to Lionel. “Congratulations” he mused.

Lionel shook his hand stiffly. “Thank you” he replied.

Isaac smiled shyly. “Your new wife looks amazing” he cooed “You must have been floored when you saw her. I know I was” he added.

Lionel felt Emilia squeeze his hand, wordlessly warning him. Squeezing back, he met Isaac’s stare and nodded, smiling as best he could. “She looks spectacular” he mused “I’m very, very lucky” he added.

Isaac nodded. “That you are” he agreed before a silence lapsed between the three of them.

It lingered for a few moments, with no one quite sure of how to break it, before Luca’s voice filled the air. “Papa!” he squeaked happily.

Isaac leant down, eagerly scooping Luca up off of his feet. “Hey, buddy” he cooed “You have fun?” he asked.

Luca nodded eagerly, wiping a smear of chocolate cake off of his cheek onto Isaac’s coat. “It was really fun” he gushed “So much more fun than you said it would be” he added.

Isaac let out a bark of sheepish laughter, grimacing as he wiped the chocolate off of his coat. “I never said it wouldn’t be fun” he quipped.

“Yes, you did” Luca countered “You said I would hate it, that mama and Leo would have a really boring party and that I didn’t have to go if I didn’t want to. I told you that I wanted to go, though. Mama looked so pretty, and was smiling all day…” his gushing faded out of focus as both Lionel and Emilia’s eyes narrowed on Isaac.

“You son of a…”

“Just get out of here, Isaac” Emilia cut off Lionel’s insult “I am not dealing with this today” she added.

“Em…”

“Get out of here!” Lionel snapped.

Isaac’s eyes seemed to darken, but he fought the urge to fight back when Luca hugged him tightly, still gushing happily. “I’ll see you when you get back from your honeymoon, Em” he noted.

Emilia just nodded her head stiffly before she moved to press kisses to Luca’s head, mumbling about how much she would miss him and how much she loved him.

Lionel just watched Isaac with a glare. He didn’t quite know what it would take for the other man to get the hint.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)