Status: Sorry its only short but it was for a school assignment and i thought i would share it for you guys!:)

The Photograph

The Photograph

“Wait,” my brother would shout to my mother in his most determined voice, “Josh is way behind.” She would stop to let Josh catch up. On other occasions, my brother insisted Josh come to parties with me, or a meal be cooked for Josh. Josh, my older brother’s ‘imaginary’ friend trailed him everywhere for a significant period of time.
Months? Years?
No one can recall Josh’s precise lifespan.
“Tyler!” Myles yelled at me from down the hall, and I could hear him stomping towards my bedroom. The angry tone of his voice told me this would not be good.
“What did you do with Josh’s photograph!?” he screeched angrily as he barged open my door and crashed in. His messy hair now sticking up in clumps.
“What do you mean what have I done with his ‘photograph?’” I questioned slyly, hoping he would leave…he didn’t.
“Josh’s photograph is gone and he desperately needs it!” Myles insisted furiously as he began to search my room, hoping to find this important photograph. I’d never even heard of it. Careless to say, he didn’t find it.
He glared at me and stormed off. Why was this photograph so important to ‘Josh’? Why would Josh have a real photograph if Josh wasn’t real? I was confused but if I dwelled on this any longer I would miss my bus. I raced out the door, past mum and Myles, and hopped onto the bus. I noticed Myles running after me so I ducked down; safely out of his sight.
Once I was home, things were different, and the ache of confusion in my stomach grew worse. I tried my best to hide from him, but I knew I couldn’t keep running from the storm in my mind.
I nervously peered out of my door to look for Myles and I assumed it was safe because he didn’t seem to be around. But suddenly a familiar voice came up behind me and whispered in my ear.
“You thought I wouldn’t find you, didn’t you?” he breathed heavily as I suddenly heard a smash and a frightened scream from the backyard. I knew that scream all too well.
“That’s mum!” I panicked, as we both rushed up and out the house, down to where the scream came from.
“I don’t know,” she cried as we questioned her “I was just watering the plants and…and it jumped at me!”
“It’s alright mum. We will find whatever jumped at you and make sure it never sees the light of another day!” I stated firmly, as Myles and I both tried our best to comfort her.
Tears stained her fragile face as I felt a strange sensation on my shoulder. It was like someone had their hand on me but as I turned, there was nothing there. I tried to forget it but whatever it was, it was freaking me out.
“Oh no...” Myles mumbled under his breath as he jumped up, afraid of something behind me “both of you, get up…”
“NOW!”
I felt someone breath down my neck and it all became so clear. Josh, the photograph, mums scream. Josh was real. Very real indeed.
But a different kind of real…
We all got up and started charging for the house, and as I pushed mum in front of me, she dropped something. I stop cautiously to get it for her, but as I turned over this glossy piece of paper, I was scared. It was a photograph of what looked like a dead person, and what I imagined Josh looked like. This was the photograph. I turned back, frightened and dropped the photo down on the bench and I felt the motion behind me begin to slow.
“Thankyou” Josh breathed heavily as I could finally see the outline of his figure. He was a ghost and he was afraid, just as afraid as us.
“Your welcome…err…Josh, but now please leave my family and I alone.” I replied firmly, knowing this may not end well.
“I understand that I have caused a lot of trouble and I will leave now, my past life isn’t here anyway, so I will find it where it should be.” He finished, and he brushed past me and went up to Myles, who had been hiding with mum behind the water tank as soon as they noticed that I had stopped. He pulled Myles into a tight, sincere hug and I could see the tears in Myles’ eyes.
“Goodbye Josh, stay well.” Myles whispered as we all began to move towards the house We were safe, and even though Myles was hurt, we all knew this was the best thing for him. Him and Josh were finally at peace.
My brothers usually angry expression had been permanently changed to a warm smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
only a short one but thought it was worth sharing!