Sequel: Devil with Angel Eyes

Starry Eyes

Eternal game of tug and war

“So what are your thoughts on the guys playing our dads?” Gunner asks as we sit poolside at my apartment complex’s pool. “What do you truly think about them?”

“They're….pretty.” I chuckle as I crack open my can of Bud Light. “I really didn’t get to hang out with them much. I had other plans.”

“Ashley type plans?” He asks wiggling his eyebrows at me.

“No, you pig.” I laugh. “I was hanging out with Andy, Ben and Kenny. Ben wouldn’t stop texting me so Michelle excused me from torturing them.”

“You left them alone with Michelle?” He lets out a humorless chuckle. “They’re dead. I guarantee it.”

“I’m sure they’re fine” I assure him. “Besides think about if we were the ones to do the hazing? They’d never make it out alive.”

“We’re not that bad.” A hearty laugh escapes his lips. “It’s not like we are the heirs to the terror twin throne or anything.”

“I also think my dad was trying to scare off the boys from even thinking about dating me.” I tell him. “Kept bringing up how much he wants the two of us to hook up.”

“My dad is just as bad.” Gunner sighs. “Can’t they just see we are better off friends. I love ya Nik but not in that way. No offense, any man would be lucky to call you theirs. Your mine but just as friends.”

“No offense taken.” I smile. “Love ya too Gun. Just not like that. And I think your dad is FINALLY starting to see that.

“Would there be any of them you’d be interested in dating?” He asks. “You know I’m an awesome wingman. I could totally talk you up.”

“The guy that plays your dad...he’s different.” I being with a sigh. “Nothing like the typical guy that usually catches my eye.”

“No tattoos, no makeup and seems to actually respect girls and not use them for their primal urges?” Gunner questions, earning a nod from me. “How the fuck is he playing Nikki Sixx in the 80’s? And more importantly how did he catch your attention? You always go for the bad boys. Always. It pisses me and your brothers off so much.”

“And why is that?”

“Nik, I love you. I hate seeing your heart get stomped on by guys in black skinnies and cowboy boots. The more tattoos they have, the more they treat you like shit. Brand, Dyl and I are sick of watching you cry and pine over guys that don’t see your damn worth. Maybe this guy catch your attention for a reason. Maybe your own heart is trying to tell you something.”

“Well it’s a good thing the guy playing my dad didn’t get my attention.” I chuckle. “You’d probably blown a gasket.”

“Ew, don’t do that.” Gunner chuckles. “Don’t fall for the guy playing your dad. I know you have daddy issues, all of us do, but don’t do it.”

“Colson isn’t my type anyway.” I laugh. “I don’t date tall skinny white boys.”

“Date a sweet guy for once.” Gunner asks. “That’s all I’m asking.”

“I’ll try. But I can’t make any promises.”

**

I lean up against the doorframe, silently watching Douglas trying to play Live Wire. I watch as he silently curses as he messed up a chord and bites his lower lip in frustration. But he does back and starts again; determined to get this right. He’s actually kind of attractive; if strong jawlines and full lips are your thing.

“You’re too stuck in your head.” I tell him as I finally let my presence known. “You’re too stuck up in here.” I point to my temple. “Don’t overthink this.”

“Hard not to overthink when this is putting my job on the line.” He chuckles. “It’s hard to get in the mindset of Nikki Sixx when you keep messing up cords and stuff like that.”

“You keep screwing up because you keep overthinking it.” I shrug. “Breathe, the cords will come to you. You just need to loosen up.” I get close to him, enough so that I can adjust the strap holding up his bass so it hangs comfortably on him. “Seriously, breathe. You got this.”

“How can you be so sure?”

“You somehow convinced the casting director that you’ll be a great Nikki; I can’t wait to see you in action. And you’re not terribly bad at bass. Again you’re overthinking it. If you want, I can help you.”

“You play bass?” He questions, looking intrigued. “I thought you’d play drums.”

“Thanks to my lovely father, godfather and uncles; I could be a one woman band.” I laugh. “And actually I’m better at bass than drums; believe it or not. So what do you say? Want any help?”

“I’d love some help.” He smiles. “Thank you. I’d really appreciate it.”

“Give me your phone.” Douglas pulls out his cell from his sweatpants pocket and hands it to me. I quickly type my number and the contact name Nikki Lovey. “Message me whenever your free. I’d love to help you land the bass parts.”

“Why don’t I take you out for dinner first then you’ll help me?” He asks. “Are you free tonight?”

I bite my lower lip in thought before finally smile. “Text me when and were and I’ll be there. Also let me know if I have to dress fancy or if my ripped jeans will be good enough.” I say goodbye before Nikki takes over the bass lesson. Just as I walk of the room, Michelle walks in with a smirk on his lips.

“I know that look.” She simply states. “You’re smitten.”

“So the fuck says smitten anymore?” I laugh. “But seriously I don’t know what you’re talking about Deal.”

“For once, allow yourself to fall for the good guy.” She sighs. “You deserve better.”

“You need to stop hanging out with Gunner so much.” I roll my eyes. “I’m just helping the guy out; that’s it. It’s not even a date.”

“He likes you, you can tell the way he looks at you.” Michelle shrugs. “You may not see it but I do. He’d be good for you. Don’t write him off just yet.”

“I’m just helping out, that’s it.” I repeat. “I’m not looking for a date or even a lay. I’m just being nice. That’s all.” I walk away, and head over to Colson to help him with some drumming tricks. This should keep my mind off what Michelle said. Or I hope it does anyway….
♠ ♠ ♠
gunner sixx

chapter title credit: Power and Control lyrics by Marina.

comment&subscribe? Want to be a character let me know?