‹ Prequel: A Hidden Kindness
Sequel: Queen of the Banished

A King and A Girl

Chapter 2

March 10


Rabia stared at herself in the mirror with a frown. She was wearing a dress that Zelda had picked out for her, but it didn’t seem right. It was very traditional, with a modest high neckline and a full, puffy skirt.

“I… I don’t know about this,” she said after a moment.

“Rabia, you look beautiful,” Zelda reassured her. Kaikoura nodded in agreement, though she too was eyeing it contemplatively.

“It’s nice but… it’s not very… me,” Rabia sighed. “It also makes me like five times bigger than I actually am with all this tulle…” she patted the skirt down with a frown.

“We can go pick another while you change out of that,” Kaikoura said. Rabia went back into the changing room while the other two searched through racks of dresses. “Hmm… what do you think, Zelda?” she showed her a long lace gown with sleeves.

“Oh, that’s lovely,” Zelda said. “I love the lace. Let's go see if she’ll try it on…” They handed Rabia the dress over the door. She came out a few minutes later.

“Oh my goddesses, you look beautiful!” Kaikoura said.

“That dress looks amazing on you,” Zelda said. Rabia smiled.

“Thanks, guys. I like this one a lot, but I think the sleeves will drive me crazy,” she said, wrinkling her nose.

“Oh, really?” Kaikoura asked. “That’s too bad… it looks so nice,” she smiled.

“We’ll try again,” Zelda said.

“Okay, I’ll be out in a minute to look.” Zelda and Kaikoura walked off to scour the racks of gowns. Rabia joined them a few minutes later. The three of them rifled through racks contemplatively; The only sound between them was the clacking of the hangers.

Eventually they gathered back by the dressing room with several dresses each. Dress after dress Rabia denied - they were too poofy or too long or itched or were plain ugly. Zelda and Kaikoura were starting to get worried that the dress shopping would never end.

“Here, Rabia. Try this one.” Kaikoura draped a strapless lace gown over the door. “I hope she picks one soon,” she muttered to Zelda. Zelda nodded in agreement - they were all rather worn out. There was rustling while Rabia changed and then a pregnant pause.

“Well? Can we see it?” Zelda asked. She gasped when Rabia stepped out of the dressing room. “You look stunning!”

“I think this is it,” Rabia said with a smile.

“It’s beautiful,” Kaikoura said. They picked some shoes and accessories, then Rabia changed and the group headed out. After they grabbed a quick lunch, they headed to the florist shop. It wasn’t hard to find - the sidewalk outside the shop was decorated with shelves of potted plants and floral arrangements, and the windows were littered with hanging plants.

“Hello!” A cheery girl greeted them from behind a counter. It took a moment for them to spot her; She was almost completely obscured by the number of plants on and around it. “Can I help you with anything?”

“Yes, actually,” Rabia said. “I need to order some flowers for my wedding.”

“Of course! And when is the special day?” The girl asked, flipping open a book.

“March 15th,” Rabia said.

“...March 15th, as in five days away?” the girl asked incredulously.

“Yes,” she said. The girl stared at her with wide eyes for a moment, then shook her head and smiled.

“It’ll be a squeeze, but I can manage wedding flowers,” she smiled. “You’ll need bouquets for you and your bridesmaids and some centerpieces, right?” Rabia nodded. “Okay, what were you thinking?”

“Something bright,” Rabia said. “I like sunflowers.” The girl hummed and helped Rabia pick some flowers for a mock bouquet. The final product was a mix of sunflowers, white daisies, and pink roses.

“That’s a lovely mix of flowers for a wedding,” the florist smiled. “Sunflowers for adoration, pink roses for romance, and white daisies for joy. It’s very sweet,” she smiled. “Did you know what these flowers meant when you picked them?”

“I didn’t realize they meant anything at all,” Rabia said. The girl smiled.

“So how many bouquets am I making with these?” she asked.

“Oh, um… three. One for me and two for my bridesmaids,” Rabia said.

“Okay!” She wrote down the order. “Now for the centerpiece…” the group spent some time flipping through a catalogue and chose an arrangement of sunflowers and daisies in a watering can. By the time they left the florist, was very nearly dinner time. They headed back to the castle to grab a bite, and Rabia travelled back to Gerudo Valley.

~ VAATISPURPLEBUTTVAATISPURPLEBUTTVAATISPURPLEBUTT ~


“King Ganondorf?” Kamilah poked her head into the room. Ganondorf was straightening his cape and eyeing himself in the mirror critically.

“Kamilah, come on in…” he said absently. He brushed an imaginary speck of dust off his shoulder, then turned to face her. “What can I help you with?”

“The Postman is here - didn’t you have something you needed to mail?” she asked. “I can bring it to him if you’re busy.”

“Yes, yes, of course…” he shuffled through some papers on his desk and handed her an envelope. “Tell him this needs to get to Lake Hylia as soon as possible, please…” he turned back to the mirror with a frown. Kamilah smiled to herself.

“You look wonderful,” she said. She reached up and straightened his cape where it was lying incorrectly on his shoulders. The cape was dark brown with red and tan designs rather than his usual maroon, with matching colors on his tunic. He had also swapped out his black pants for dark brown as well. He was wearing his armor, though it was lighter and fancier than battle armor, with inlaid jewels. “The lighter colors suit you.”

“I suppose it is… more traditional,” he said uncomfortably.

“You wear black every day. It’s a nice change,” she said. “Are you leaving your hair down like this?” she reached up to fiddle with one of his shoulder-length locks. He nodded.

“I can’t wear my headdress at the same time as my crown. Does it look… weird?”

“You look great,” Kamilah assured him. She stepped away and picked the letter back up. “I’ll go bring this to the postman. You’d better change and get something to eat. Your carriage will be here soon.” She left swiftly. Ganondorf looked at himself in the mirror once more and nodded to himself. He changed and after a quick dinner, rode back into Castle Town.
♠ ♠ ♠
OCs: Rabia (main character/Ganondorf's fiance); Kaikoura (Rabia's BFF/Sheik's wife); Florist (florist); Kamilah (Rabia's mother)