‹ Prequel: A Hidden Kindness
Sequel: Queen of the Banished

A King and A Girl

Chapter 8

March 15


It seemed like no time had passed when the carriage arrived at the valley. Rabia and Ganondorf had changed into more comfortable clothes in the carriage, which had resulted in awkward bumps and a lot of laughter. The carriage had barely stopped before the doors were opened and the two were pulled out by Nabooru and Aveil. After removing their rings and handing them to each other, the two were again ushered off to separate rooms where they were fussed over and dressed. Time passed as women hurried in and out and soon Rabia was back outside.

It was early evening and the sun was starting to set. A sheer purple canopy was over the ceremony area, with white fairy lights draped on top. The aisle was dusted with pink rose petals up to the altar, where a gold blanket was spread over the ground. Behind the altar was a large fire, burning brightly in the golden light of the evening. A small group of women with instruments sat off to the side, and once everyone was in place, they started to play.

Kamilah pulled Ganondorf from somewhere in the crowd. In place of his usual headdress, he was wearing the King’s crown. Kamilah linked arms with him and led him to the blanket. Ganondorf knelt, facing the aisle and his people, his back to the fire.

Koume and Kotake joined Rabia, and linked their arms with hers. Kabira helped gather up Rabia’s skirt so it didn’t drag in the sand, and the four of them walked down the aisle together. Rabia knelt next to Ganondorf, facing the aisle. Nabooru stood between them, facing the people gathered, and began to speak.

“My fellow Gerudo, we are gathered here today by the Blessing of Din to join King Ganondorf Dragmire and Rabia Mezovesto in matrimony…” Rabia tilted her head at the given name - she wasn’t certain what it meant. “...With full awareness, know that you are not only declaring your intent to be bound in marriage before your people, but that you speak that intent also to the goddess Din.” Nabooru looked at Ganondorf.

“Ganondorf, do you take Rabia to be the wife of your days, the companion of your heart, and the friend of your life? To stand united in the face of adversity and bask together in the light of good fortune? With these words spoken and all those yet unspoken, do you wish to marry Rabia and join your life with hers?”

“I do,” he answered.

“Rabia, do you take Ganondorf to be the husband of your days, the companion of your heart, and the friend of your life? To stand united in the face of adversity and bask together in the light of good fortune? With these words spoken and all those yet unspoken, do you wish to marry Ganondorf and join your life with his?”

“I do,” she replied.”

“The bride and groom have each prepared a poem for each other,” Nabooru stated as she stepped back. Ganondorf took Rabia’s hand, and spoke his aloud.

“You remind me of the sun.
You draw me in with your light,
inspire me with your passion,
and warm me with your love.” Rabia smiled softly and squeezed his fingers, before saying her own.

“Your heart beats like a drum,
a rhythm my soul instinctually follows.
My melody sings a song only for us,
and your soul creates the perfect harmony.”

Nabooru stepped forward again and handed each of them a ring, which they exchanged between each other.

“May these rings remind you that your love, like the sun, warms all that it touches, like the moon, brightens up the night, like the north star, remains constant and steadfast,” she smiled at them. “Love is a force more formidable than any other, and although it joins you together as one, remember the gift of your individuality. Cherish and affirm your differences as you love each other. Be supportive of your strengths, and tender towards your weaknesses. Laugh together, cry together, be comforted by each other’s presence, and secure in each other’s absence.

“To symbolize the importance of each of you within the marriage and the joining of your two lives into one marriage, three colors of sand will now be combined in the sand ceremony.” Nabooru set a low table between Ganondorf and Rabia, and set an empty, stoppered bottle onto it. She handed a vial of desert-gold sand to Ganondorf, and a vial of evening-purple sand to Rabia. She unstoppered the bottle between them.

“We begin with a layer of white sand to symbolize the foundation of the relationship.” Nabooru poured a layer of white sand into the bottle. “Next, Ganondorf and Rabia will each separately pour their sand into the vase, symbolizing who they are as individuals.” She paused as Ganondorf poured in a layer of gold sand, followed by a layer of Rabia’s purple sand. “Now, they will pour together, blending their colors as a symbol of their joining together forever in love,” Nabooru said. Ganondorf and Rabia poured their remaining sand into the bottle together. “Finally, I will add another layer of white sand to represent you, the Gerudo people, supporting them in their marriage and holding them in love.” She poured the final layer of white into the bottle.

“Though the bottle may be moved and the colors may shift and blend in new ways, the grains of sand cannot be separated. They will remain joined in a harmonious whole.” She stoppered the bottle and held it up so everyone could see. “May your love be as eternal and inseparable as the sand.” She moved the table and sand bottle aside and took her place back between them. “Today you have pledged yourselves to a lifetime of caring for one another. As you stand before us, it is our hope that you will go through life loving, trusting, and caring for one another, completely and forever. May the blessings of life, the joy of love, and the peace of truth be your constant companion, now and always, as husband and wife. You may seal this union with a kiss.”

Ganondorf stood and swept Rabia up into his arms, kissing her deeply. The Gerudo cheered as they kissed, and a couple of them let out wolf whistles that had Rabia and Ganondorf laughing as they kissed twice more. Ganondorf released Rabia and offered her a hand as she knelt back down, this time in the center of the aisle with her head bowed. A hush grew over the crowd again.

“Rabia, will you solemnly promise and swear to be true to the Gerudo people, confirm to them their old rights and privileges, and not take away from anyone what is rightfully there, except after proper verdict of law?” he asked.

“I solemnly promise,” Rabia replied.

“Will you to your power cause law and justice, in all that is fair and true, to be executed in all your judgements?”

“I will.”

“Will you, to your utmost power, protect the Realm, so that when the time comes you will leave your successors a strong people, as is their due?” Ganondorf asked.

“All this I promise to do,” she answered. Nabooru stepped up to Ganondorf and handed him the Queen’s crown. Ganondorf gently tipped Rabia’s head up and ceremoniously placed the crown on her head. He offered her his hand and helped her to her feet as the Gerudo cheered.

The party moved from the canopy to the blazing fire behind the altar as the sun sunk below the sand dunes. Some women were dancing and drinking and playing music, others were eating. Ganondorf and Rabia had settled close together on their blanket in front of the fire, sharing a bite to eat with their mothers and Kabira. Once they were finished, they snuck away from the party to their carriage, and took off towards Lake Hylia for their honeymoon.
♠ ♠ ♠
OCs: Rabia (main character/Ganondorf's wife); Kamilah (Rabia's mom); Kabira (Ganondorf's daughter)

AN EXCERPT OF BOUND TO THE WEST: QUEEN OF THE BANISHED - COMING SOON

“There’s also rumor of a shadow… a shadow that resembles Link here in Castle Town. Black, with glowing red eyes. Some people…” Sora paused as another guard walked by and lowered her voice again. “Some people think that… that Link’s dead, Ari. That he’s dead and the shadow is his ghost, haunting Castle Town and the castle grounds.” Ari went pale.

“Dead…?” Ari asked. “If he’s dead… then surely the Princess…” she shuddered.