Pretty Girl

♥♥

The second time I saw you, the second time I actually studied you, I was content.

It was strange looking at you in a different light. It was odd taking in the parts of you I loathed. It felt almost like I was staring at a different person. But I realized that you were radiating a different type of energy, one that I found myself hypnotized to.

You were working out at the gym. Sweat was dripping down your forehead like a leaky faucet. It made me frown, watching your body grow weaker and your heart grow more determined, striving to get to the image society made you believe you should appear. I didn’t think someone like you would be the type to try and fit in like everyone else. You were so eccentric; I figured that you fight back society’s labels of beauty. I suppose I was wrong.

Then I realized something else. You weren’t trying to fit in. You wanted to feel beautiful. You wanted to wake up and be content with the person you are. You wanted the people who made you feel ugly to look at you and be in awe of your beauty.

You foolish girl. What was so ugly about you that no one else could see? Maybe you’re ugly on the outside, but you have a heart like no other. People lack that, you know. You seem to be one of the good ones, the rarities, that can love anyone and anything no matter how they appeared. Maybe you’re a pain in the ass, but you mean well. Perhaps you tell shitty jokes from time to time, but you do it to make people smile and laugh. Do you even know how many people there are that are just like you? Not that many.

In this junkyard of the world, you are one of the few treasures. Maybe you don’t believe that because people want to paint you like you’re a beast, but don’t forget that people are assholes. They want to make people feel inferior to make themselves feel like Gods or Goddesses. But guess what? They can never be because they lack the one thing that you have: heart.

You know, you’re starting to grow on me. I want to say like a fungus to be mean, but it's not true. You're growing like a plant. The seed is in the ground, but it'll grow more with time.

I like you. And I like the little things that you do that I once found extremely irritating. Like when you sing. I used to think that you sounded like a hyena giving birth. Now, it doesn’t matter if you sound good or bad, it’s the passion you have doing it. The light in your eyes, it never falters when you enjoy doing what you love, whether good or bad. Now that’s some really beautiful shit.

Maybe you’re not a pretty girl now, or feel like one yet, but you’ll get there. I believe in you and hopefully, you can too.