Rebel Love Song

Another misfit kid, another burned-out town

Later that night, I find myself leaning up against the brick wall of the building with a cigarette between my lips. I’m currently on my much needed break from the bar. It’s been crazy tonight. This Motley Crue band must have a pretty serious following. Or maybe the girls of L.A just find the lead singer hot. He’s the only one I got a great look of and honestly; he doesn’t do it for me.

As I’m finishing up my cigarette, the band entrance's door swings up. A man that’s extremely tall and skinny comes out. He’d struggling to light his cigarette thanks to a faulty lighter. I whistle to get his attention before tossing him my lucky white Bic lighter. He smiles in thanks before lighting his cigarette.

“Thanks.” He tells me before tossing me the lighter back. “I was struggling with that lighter all day. I was beginning to think the world was telling me to quick.”

“You probably should. It’s not healthy.” I say as I take the final drag of my cigarette.”

“You’re one to talk.” He laughs before taking another drag of his cigarette. “You’re too pretty to be smoking, you know that right?”

“There are worse vices I could have.” I shrug before tossing the butt of the cigarette on the concrete, crushing it with the toe of my boot. “I’ve lived in L.A for almost six months and I only smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol; I’d consider this a win in my book.”

“Where you originally from?”

“Seattle.”

“No way, our bass player lived there for a bit.” He excitedly says. “Nikki moved down here a few years ago to start a band. Maybe you know him.”

“I can assure you all the Nikki’s I know are females and are knocked up by their high school sweethearts.” I chuckle as Raquel appears at the door.

“Hey Core, Devon says your break is over with.” She says rolling her eyes. “Apparently you’re needed backstage. The band harassed Megan enough that she upped and quit.”

I turn to the man closest to me and he has the most angelic look to him. “How much of an asshole are you and your bandmates? You made a poor girl quit her job.”

“I’m Tommy and I can promise you, I’m an angel.” He says introducing himself. “Nikki and Vince are the assholes; mainly Vince. And he’s not an asshole per say, he’s a flirt.”

“Sexual harassment isn’t something to joke about.” Raquel speaks up. “Megan was a good friend of ours. And if you as much as lay a finger on my girl Corey here, I’ll gut you. Got it.” Tommy looks scared and well, he should me.

“Tell Devon I’ll be there in a minute okay?” I ask the dancer in front of me. She nods before disappearing inside.

“Corey isn’t your typical girls’ name.” Tommy notes. “I like it.”

“My biological dad really wanted a son.” A humorless chuckle escapes my lips. “I’m giving you a fair warning now. If any of your band mates decide to lay their slimy paws on me, they’ll be a vegetable. Got it?”

“You’re quite sexy when you’re angry.” He smirks. “But I got it.”

“I’ll see you inside then, Drummer?”

“How do you know I’m a drummer?” He yells towards me.

“I have my ways…” I yell back before disappearing into the building.

**

“You owe me.” I tell Devon before downing the shot of Jack Daniels he had poured for a client. Before he could yell at me, I head backstage where I see another girl trying to man the backstage bar. Just as I dismiss her (before the tears start flowing), the lead singer swaggers up towards me.

“Why hello.” He gives me his best smile. “You come here to replace whatshername.”

“Her name was Megan, the girl that quit because you’re a fucking jackass.” I sneer. “She was also a friend and you made her cry. You do not want to see what happens when people make my friends cry. So if you want to be able to reproduce, I highly suggest you order a drink or fuck off.”

The groupies were silent. But his bandmates, from wherever they were, clapped and cheered. The smirk on the singer’s lips grew into an appreciative smirk. “I’m Vince.”

“Corey.” I smile. “What can I get you Vince? And do not say my number.”

“Jack and Coke.” He replies. “And before you fill my drink order, come on and let’s meet every one.” He’s nice and it feels like a trap.

First person he introduces me to was the guitarist, Mick. He was quiet and scary. It was as if he was always here and always judging you. He gave me the creeps, not going to lie. But deep down, I feel as though, Mick is someone you want to have in your corner. He may be doom and gloom, but he seems like a good friend...deep down.

“And this guy I’m about to introduce you to is the whole fucking reason why were are together.” Vince tells me as we approach the raven haired many with the redhead and blonde on his arms. “Nikki, you need to meet the new bartender. You’re going to love her.” Nikki turns around and our eyes instantly lock. He may not look the same. But I know those hazel eyes from anywhere.

“Corey?” He asks in disbelief.

“Frankie?”
♠ ♠ ♠
chapter title credit: Youth Gone Wild by Skid Row.

comment&subscribe?