What ever happened to "little miss sunshine"?

Let's get going

Finally it did, and I was thrilled! Everything was going great. Kelly came and picked me up at around 6. Kelly had inserted herself into the middle of the fray and no one was really sure why or how, but I was just going with the flow. So I didn't ask any questions.

It seemed to take for ever for 10:00 to roll around, we had to wait for Calvin to get off work and for Meg to arrive. Finally 10 came and we where all standing out side when Calvin pulled up. We all slid quietly into his car. I had the vague impression that Sarah's parent's weren't entirely aware of the fact that we where leaving the house. My first clue was Sarah's insistence that we keep quiet and use the window to exit the house instead of the door but perhaps she just preferred to jump out her window instead of walking out her front door, some people where crazy like that.

"Where's Meg?" I asked noticing her absence immediately.

"Oh yeah her mom wouldn't let her leave the house. So it's just the four of us." He said I was about to ask why where were even going on this little expodision if Meg wasn't here but all sence in the world seemed to run screaming from reality the moment Calvin started the car back up. He took off from the curb at a break neck pace and swerved into the left lane before correcting his driving and veering into the correct one. I let out a scream and realize why the other two had let me sit up front. Calvin was a maniac!

"CALVIN, SLOW DOWN!!!" I yelped from the passenger seat. Calvin looked from the road to me and flashed me a huge smile. He looked adorable with his blond spiked hair and liquid green eyes. Of course he speed up and then started to swerve in and out of lanes I yelled and wanted to grab the wheel.

It was insane this boy was going to kill us but the girls in the back where giggling madly egging him on, so on we drove. I spent most of that car ride clutching my jacket and praying to God the boy would have the sense to at least slow down to fewer than 70 on the 40 mile an hour speed limit road. I had no such luck but we didn't die so I was grateful for that.
Finally we reached our destination. It was the General Store that Calvin worked at.

"Why are we here?" I asked jumping out of the car and placing my feet on solid land.

"For supplies of course." Kelly said charging toward the store grinning with excitement. I took small steps and lagged behind as her and Sarah went gallivanting off. I felt terrible. My insides where all knotted up from being so nervous and scared, I noticed I had little scrapes on my palms from where I had been clenching my fists so hard. One of them looked like it was about to start bleeding.

"Are you okay?" I felt Calvin put his arm around my waste and take my hand to help keep me steady.

"Yeah I'll be okay, I just wasn't expecting you to drive like that." I said looking up at him through my brown hair. It had fallen in my face when I jumped out of they car. He looked genuinely concerned. It made my stomach flip to think that such a gorgeous boy could look at me like that. I felt comforted.

"Sorry," He said as he pushed my hair out of my eyes, "you're not like them are you? You’re a better person, why are you even talking to Kelly you don't belong with them." He said shaking his head. He sat me down on a bench outside the store. I knew it was true, Kelly and Sarah where two of the worst girls I knew. They had both been in trouble with the law on many occasions. Kelly had probably slept with every senior in town and a few that lived in other towns. Sarah wasn't much better she just slept with her boy friends.

Me I was the perfect girl that went around smiling and volunteering at old folk's homes and being the good influence on everyone, so what was I doing here?

"Everyone needs a little fun in their lives. It's like that song by the Killers 'when you where young.' You know talking about the devils water. I'm just dipping my feet in." I said smiling at him as he sat next to me.

"I LOVE that song." He said smiling real big and putting his arm around me again only this time he didn't have to, he did it because he wanted to. "So are you waiting on your beautiful boy?" He asked, now his smile turned into a smirk.

"I guess" I said looking away into the stars. It was cold and a chill night breeze blew making me shiver. Calvin tugged me a little closer to him and I felt warmer. I could almost hear my heart start to beat a little faster and felt a rush go through my veins. I felt so alive.

"WOO WHOO! Go Lilly!" Kelly yelled as her and Sarah came out of the store with a ridiculous amount of toilet paper. I blushed furiously and stood up. Calvin did the same and we didn't say a word as I hurried back to the car. We where off in a few seconds and on to our real adventure.