Status: A work in progress

The Shattering

Prologue

Hades grumbled to himself as he walked through the gates of Olympus, his hands shoved deeply into his pockets. Poseidon was throwing one of his famous millennial bashes and Hades was expected to make an appearance. He didn’t want to think about all the small talk and endless babble he was going to have to endure. He just hoped that everyone would behave themselves this time. The last party they had, Aphrodite came in her birthday suit and Ares tried to battle anyone he thought was ogling her, including Artemis. Ares had barely escaped with his life from his fight with the Huntress.

Hades decided he wanted to make a quick stop before subjecting himself to what was sure to be another horrid affair. The gardens of Olympus had changed since the last time Hades visited. The columns that lined the path were being swallowed by strangling vines. The hedges towered well above his eye level, stretching towards the vaulted glass ceiling, towards the sun. As he walked the overgrown steps, thorns snagged at the hem of his robes. The sweet perfume of jasmine and tiger lilies kissed his nose. He kicked a small rock forward, noticing the gathering of wildflowers as he did so. They were so small, so delicate, having barely broken the surface of the ground. He wasn’t really the kind of god to stop and smell the roses, but for some reason he was compelled to kneel and pluck one. He looked forward and noticed many similar clusters down the path, all about a stride apart from each other. It almost looked as if they had sprung from someone’s footsteps.

As if under the suggestion of some powerful magic, he followed the trail of footsteps, careful to not step on the wildflower clusters, spinning the blue sprout in his fingers as he went. The path curved and twisted, a maze within the gardens. He ran his hand along the column as he turned the corner into the Gods’ Oasis. His eyes widened and his fingers clutched onto the column as he tried to steady his footing. It was as if the air had left his body all at once, as if it knew where he wanted to run to and was racing him there.

She was everything. She sat on the edge of the pond, perched on a stepping stone pumping her legs through the water. She was supporting herself with her hands planted firmly on the soil on either side of her. It looked like she was rooted there, cuffs of daisies had grown from the dirt and wrapped themselves around her wrists. Her curled ash blonde hair billowed down past her slender waist and brushed the stone she sat on. Her bronzed naked skin looked like it was softer than silk; it was dark and sun-kissed from spending hours in the sunlight.

Hades released the column from his deadly grasp and took a step forward. Her head snapped towards him, eyes widened in fright and cheeks flushed blood red. She quickly sprung herself from her seat and splashed into the pond, completely submerging herself. Hades flew over to edge of the pond and met her peridot green eyes glaring at him from beneath the surface. “I’m sorry, I did not mean to frighten you,” he assured her. She did not budge, her eyes angry and hurt. “I really didn’t. I just wanted to visit the gardens before the party. This is my favorite place on Olympus after all.”

She looked at him skeptically before pulling her head out of the water. “Mother says you’re dangerous.” There was a fire and a passion behind her voice, leading Hades to believe that she was only shy, not meek.

Hades squatted down, balancing himself gracefully on the edge of his toes. “And who is ‘Mother’?” A smirk played at the corner of his lips, intrigued by what “Mother” was saying about him and how much of it she had right.

“Demeter,” she answered.

Hades chuckled. “Of course, she is. And why does Demeter say I am dangerous?”

She swallowed. It looked like she was debating if she should expand upon it or not. “She says that your brothers sent you away because you’re evil. That you enjoyed torturing humans on the mortal world, so they sent you to the Underworld to torture the damned souls there. She says you are responsible for every evil in the world.”

Hades rolled his eyes. Same old lies that had been told for millennia. “No love, you can thank Pandora for that. I do rule the Underworld, but how does she know I torture the souls that are there? Has she ever visited me?” Hades asked. The woman in the pond stayed silent, her eyes never leaving Hades’. “No, I didn't think so. You shouldn’t judge someone based off the tales that others weave. Would you like to see for yourself? How ‘tortured’ the souls are?”

The woman shook her head. “No, Mother also warned me that you’re the master of lies. You might be trying to trick me.”

An exasperated sigh fell off Hades’ lips. He wrapped his arms around his knees. “No trick, I promise. Maybe not today then, but one day you’ll have to visit. You should see my own gardens. The plants are different in the Underworld.” Again, the woman said nothing. What was it about her that made Hades invite her to his home? “Who are you?” he asked.

She propped her elbows up on the bank of the pond, crossing her arms in front of her chest. She tilted her head to the side; the hint of a smile slowly emerging. “Oh, you’d like to know my name?”

Hades leaned closer to this enchantress, entirely under her spell. “You know I do,” he muttered.

She urged him to come closer with the suggestive wag of a finger. He leaned in, teetering on his toes as he did so. She smiled, cupping her hand to her mouth as if she was going to tell him a secret and raised herself so her lips caressed his ear. “My name,” she whispered, her hand grazing the back of his neck, “is”-, and with one swift move, Hades was upside down in the water. The blue sprout he had been holding bobbed on the surface. She had hurled him as easily as if she was tossing a bouquet. His head broke the surface and he turned to where she had been. She was now on land in a magicked flower dress and ringing the water out of her hair over her shoulder. “Persephone.”

The water in the pond started boiling around Hades, his anger swirling inside of him. “Well, Persephone, for being so scared of how ‘dangerous’ I am, that was a bold move.”

She crouched down a couple yards away from the pond, maintaining a safe distance between the two of them. “I said my mother said you were dangerous. Do not mistake that for fear. I am not scared of you Hades, god of the Underworld. I just needed to pay you back for your lack of manners, sneaking up on me like that.”

The anger in Hades dissipated as quickly as it arrived. He surprised himself by laughing at the situation, at how she completely disarmed him with her fiery words and unpredictable actions. No one had ever dared attempt anything that might anger him before. Yet she had, without a fear in the world. Hades thought that this woman might be the end of him.

Even after he had returned to the Underworld, Persephone plagued his mind. Before, he only visited Olympus once every hundred years. Now it was two or three times a month, visiting Persephone in the gardens each time. Hades knew that the gods and goddesses gossiped, speculating why he was visiting Olympus so often. Let them whisper, he didn’t care. Years had passed and their secret courtship had blossomed like one of her precious flowers.

Today was different. Today was the day he was going to ask her to come to the Underworld with him, for good. He couldn’t bear being apart from her any longer. His feet headed down the familiar path in the gardens; they knew the way. He turned around the final corner and Persephone was no where to be found. Instead Demeter glowered in their normal meeting place. Her blonde hair, not unlike Persephone’s, was balled up together in a sloppy nest on her head. Her normally green eyes looked black, darkened by her furrowed brow. Hades sighed and weighed his options. She knows about us, he thought. He could either stand here and incur her wrath or, or what? Go back home to the Underworld? He knew if he did that, Demeter would make sure he would never see Persephone again.

“Hello Demeter,” he said through a forced smile. “How is the harvest going?” He hoped to feign innocence. Maybe it was only a suspicion she had, goaded on by whispers.

“They could be going better Hades. I suspect you are here for a different type of harvest though.” She had crossed her plump arms across her torso.

“I am sure I don’t know what you mean. I came to enjoy the gardens before I get summoned by Zeus,” Hades said.

She looked as if she were measuring her words carefully. “She’s gone Hades. I sent her away weeks ago. Her flower will not be spoiled by the likes of you. You need to leave. There’s nothing for you here.”

Hades felt his anger swell up within him. The palms of his hands and the soles of his feet started to burn with a dull ache. He needed to control himself. “What do you mean gone?” he barked through gritted teeth.

“You’ll never find her. I sent her to the middle of nowhere. I’d rather a mortal bed her than you. You will never stain her with evil.”

Hades closed the space between them with a single step, his hand clenched around her thick throat. Her blood stained his pointed nails as they dug into her skin. “Where is she?” Hades growled. He could feel himself becoming more beast than god, his fury burning within him, hellfire sparking at the tips of his fingers.

Demeter’s laugh chilled Hades to the bone, her shoulders wracking with the effort. “You’ll never find her,” she spat at him. “You can search for millennia, but it will all be fruitless.”

The aroma of burning flesh filled the gardens. He was unaware that he had singed her neck. He heard the flurry of scurrying around them and realized that they had drawn a crowd. This battle would not be won here. He released her, her hand immediately finding her own throat to assess the damage.

He quickly spun on heel and fingered in his robes for his pocket mirror. He opened the clasp without removing it from his robes and imagined Zeus’ quarters in his mind’s eye. As soon as he pressed a finger against the worn copper, he vanished immediately. Within an instant, he was in his brother’s chambers, Zeus sprawled out in his bed with Hera. Hades stepped out of Zeus’ mirror, appearing in the room. Zeus was so preoccupied with Hera’s breasts, he hadn’t noticed Hades standing in the corner. “Zeus,” Hades breathed.

Zeus saw his brother and laughed. “Couldn’t catch any nymphs so you came to watch?” Zeus teased.
“Brother,” Hades begged, his eyes lowered, “I need to speak with you.”

“Urgently it seems.” Zeus turned towards Hera and groaned, “Sorry love, I need a moment with my brother.” Hera did not dare argue with her husband, but that did not stop her from shooting daggers at Hades. She slunk out of bed, letting the sheets pool at her ankles. She stopped at her wardrobe to shrug on a robe before exiting the room. “What is it?”

Hades sat down on the foot of the bed. “She’s gone, Zeus. Demeter sent her away.”

“Yes, Demeter told me she suspected a courtship between the two of you and that she intended to end it.”

Hades searched his brother’s eyes, “Do you know where she is?”

“I do,” Zeus said.

“Well, where is she?”

Zeus thought for a moment. “If I tell you and you retrieve her, Demeter will never forgive you. I fear she will start a war and take out her wrath on the mortals. Will you be able to live with that?”

Hades nodded. “Brother, in all our years together, have I ever asked you for anything? I love her.”

Zeus sighed, “I have a feeling I’m going to regret this. Demeter sent her to the island of Crete, to King Minos.”

Hades stood, knocking over a stool near him as he did so. “Does she mean to kill her own daughter? Minos has lost his mind and is feeding his own citizens to his beast! I’m going to get her,” Hades said as he turned towards the mirror in the room.

“Would you like me to send you in a bolt?” Zeus asked.

Hades smiled. “Thanks brother, but my way is not so flashy.”

“I know, but your way just creeps me out. Make it quick so I don’t see you do it.” Zeus turned his head to the side.

A chuckle barely escaped Hades’ mouth. “I’ve never known you to be squeamish brother,” he said as he stepped into the mirror, the castle of Crete blazing in his mind. He turned to look at his brother before he vanished, “Thanks Zeus.”

“Don’t mention it. Seriously, don’t. I have enough on my plate with Hera and her jealousy. I don’t have the patience for Demeter coming after me as well,” Zeus said.

Hades could feel it as his body pinched in upon itself. It became twisted and warped as he travelled from Olympus to Crete. It only lasts for a moment, but damn if it didn’t sting. The first room he landed in was occupied, two handmaidens fussing over a princess. He tried a couple of different rooms but had no luck. What if she was already gone? Already lost to the labyrinth? He couldn’t let his mind linger on such thoughts. He would never find her that way. He tried again and discovered a room with a man sitting on a chamber pot. This will work, Hades thought. He stepped out of the bronze mirror and waved at the man. The man yelled something unintelligible, scuttled and fell over. The contents of the chamber pot seeped on to the floor and splashed on the man, making him curse some more. Hades rushed over to him, placing a hand atop his head. “Shush,” he whispered, and the man fell silent. His mouth opened and closed like a fish as he tried to speak. His eyes filled with terror as he realized he couldn’t make a sound and he scooted backwards from Hades until he was stopped by the stone wall. “Sleep,” and the man slumped over, laying in his own filth.

Hades felt the weight of his body fall away as he became a shadow. Being the god of Death did have its advantages after all. He crept out of the room and hid among the shadows that were cast upon the stone walls. He slinked from shadow to shadow as he made his way down to the dungeons. He hurried down the steps, the walls of the castle growing colder as he went. He finally stumbled into the dungeons and saw the mass of matted ash blonde hair curled up in the corner. “Seph,” he whispered. Persephone looked up and searched the room. Her eyes were darker than they usually were, sunken into the hollows of her skull. Her collarbones were jutting out of the rags she wore. He realized suddenly that she could not see him because he was still in his shadow form. He squeezed through the bars of her cell and gathered his body back to him, appearing in front of her eyes.

“Hades, you came for me.” The corners of her mouth fought against her fatigue as she tried to smile. She tried to stand, but her body didn’t seem to have any strength left and she tumbled forward. He knelt in front of her, removing his cloak to drape it around her skeleton frame. He gently kissed her forehead and held her to him for a moment.

“I came as soon as I found out. I’ll destroy Demeter for this.” he said.

“You’ll do no such thing,” she quipped. Hades couldn’t help but be proud of her. Even in her weakened state, she was still as fiery and passionate as ever. “Take me to the Underworld to live with you. That will be punishment enough for her.”

“You want to live in the Underworld?” Hades asked.

She snuggled up against his chest, “I want to live with you, Hades. I tire of Olympus. I’d like to start a new adventure, with you.”

“Okay,” Hades smiled, “You’ll be my queen, the goddess of spring and death. You’ll rule the Underworld with me.”

Persephone smiled. “I like the sound of that,” she said. “Let’s go home.”



Six months had passed and Seph made herself quite at home. She spent most of her time tending the gardens that Hades had made specifically for her; they were almost identical to the layout of the gardens of Olympus. He was right about the plants though, those were entirely different than they were on Olympus. She was particularly fond of the fire roses. The petals were constantly ablaze, the fire contained to each individual petal, never spreading farther than the flower the flames came from. They changed color in accordance with the atmosphere of the room. If the room was calm, they would simply burn a warm red. Right now, the fire was blazing white. Persephone knew this was due to her mood. She plucked a rose and levitated it in her palm. Watching the fire helped calm her, and the flower gradually cooled to an orange. She noticed the rest of the fire roses had done the same. She sighed and tucked the rose behind her ear, the flames never licking her hair or face.

“I thought I would find you in here,” Hades said. Persephone turned to him and smiled. His six-foot two frame was lounging against an ivy-covered column, his arms crossed as he watched her in the gardens. He was lean but muscular, sinewy like a panther. His black and sapphire blue robes accentuated the clear fiery blue of his eyes. He started to keep his dark hair pulled away from his face, revealing the perpetual bristles on his jaw and chin. The fire roses turned a warm red and his smile grew larger. “Did you miss me, Seph?” he asked.

“Always, my love,” Persephone said. She ran towards him and threw her arms around his neck, burrowing her face into his chest.

Hades chuckled as he wrapped his arms around her. “I missed you too,” He pulled away from her, running his thumb along her jaw. His eyes burned into hers and Persephone felt like he was looking for the right words. “You heard, didn’t you? The roses were white just a moment ago.”

She sighed and stepped away from him, tears stinging the corners of her eyes. “Yes, I heard.”

“She’s going to let all the mortals die Seph. She doesn’t care for them. She killed all the crops and plunged them into the worst winter they have ever seen. She’s punishing them to get to you,” he said.

“Don’t you think I know that? Charon has been talking my ear off all day. He’s upset with the surge of souls he now needs to ferry. It’s ten times the usual amount.” Persephone walked to the pond, sat down on the edge and dipped her legs in, just like she did when she first met Hades.

He came to her side and sat down next to her, brushing her foot with his. “What are you thinking?” he asked.

Persephone sighed. She felt like she was being cornered and had no way out. The tears that threatened to spill down streamed freely down her face. Hades reached over and caressed her cheek, wiping the tears away as he did. “I don’t want to,” Persephone choked.

“I’m afraid your mother isn’t leaving us much of a choice. I met with Zeus, Poseidon, and your mother today. They found a compromise that she’s happy with, but the ultimate decision is yours.”

Persephone scoffed, “And what prison has she thought up for me this time?”

She could hear her husband swallow his words. “They want you to live in Olympus for six months out of the year. The other six, you’re free to remain here with me.”

“I made my decision to stay here when I ate the pomegranate, Hades. I’m not as powerful as you, I can’t just leave the Underworld whenever I please.” Persephone stirred the water as she pumped her legs. She just wanted to sink beneath the calm water and forget all about this horrid mess.

“There is a way, Seph. It’s not pleasant, but you’ll save millions of mortals.”

She glanced at her husband. His eyes were transfixed on the water, like he was afraid to look her in the eye. “What is it?”

He turned his body toward her and took her hands in his. “I’m not all powerful. I couldn’t just travel between realms because I’m part of The Three. I had to do a blood ritual, take part of one of the oldest, darkest magics of this world, older than Tartarus itself. Because of my blood though, I am not susceptible to the side effects, but you would be. This would be a major sacrifice.”

“What is it, Hades?” She had never seen him this solemn before.

“Well, the blood ritual is simple enough. You will just draw the patterns I teach you. After the ritual is complete, you’ll be able to travel through any mirrored surface on any realm.”

He was biting the inside of his cheek, holding something back from her. “Hades.”

He sighed, “Because it is a blood ritual, it will be passed through all your offspring. They will inherit this power from you from generation to generation. Your children will always be connected to the Underworld and Tartarus. They might be haunted and see the demons and titans in Tartarus.”

Persephone drew her hands away from him, placing them in her lap. “Why do I feel like you’re not telling me everything?” she asked.

“Seph, there is no risk to us for travelling this way. We are gods, we are strong enough that our bodies can withstand the journey. When I step through a mirror, I am suspended between realms, between worlds. I am using Tartarus as a conduit. If a mortal or even a demigod were to attempt this, they might be able to do so successfully. They will always run the risk of Shattering though.”

“Shattering?” Persephone asked. How could a person shatter?

“It means that their soul would split between the realms, between where they were, where they were travelling to, and Tartarus. They would be no more. In their place would be this mass of rage and anger, a shadow creature that belongs to no realm.” Hades stood, towering over her. “Come, there’s something I need to show you”. He extended her a hand and helped her up. They walked hand in hand out of the gardens, past Judgement Hall and Sinner’s Bay.

She sighed as they reached the Styx. The river was sloped at an unnatural angle; the further down you traveled, the deeper you were in the Underworld. They walked down the rotting dock and Hades reached into his pocket. He flipped a gold coin into the air, and it sunk beneath the murky stagnant water with a heavy “plop”. The river around the coin started churning violently, a spinning cyclone as the ferry emerged from the depths. The rotten bow of the boat grimaced at them, the charred wood forming the teeth of a sinister grin. Persephone always liked the way the fire that moved the ferry along created a creepy red glow behind the teeth. Charon stood next to a shepherd’s hook with a lantern hanging from it. A floating blue fireball burned dimly within the lantern, casting an eerie sickly hue on the deck. Charon looked gloomy as ever, wearing his cracked, half skull mask and draped in his tattered black shroud. He had fashioned an oar in the shape of a scythe for himself even though he didn’t need one; the ferry propelled itself. He just liked scaring the new souls that entered the realm. Small joys, he would say.

The ferry came up to the edge of the dock, allowing Hades and Persephone to board. “Didn’t think I’d be seeing you again so soon, my Queen,” Charon choked. His voice was rough like gravel and it sounded like he had a hard time getting the words over his teeth.

Persephone always had a soft spot for Charon, seeing him almost as a little brother. A twisted little brother to be sure, but she loved him all the same. She knew he was worried that Hades was angry with him for complaining. She reached a hand out to him to reassure him, gently stroking his shoulder. “Take us to the Deep, Charon,” Hades said.

“Yes, my King,” Charon rumbled. Persephone had never heard of the Deep before. She looked at her husband inquisitively, but his blue eyes had become stone cold and stared straight ahead. She grasped his hand in hers. She had ridden the ferry many times, but she would never get used to the way it lurched. It hurled itself backwards before propelling forward. She held a hand to her stomach as she tried not to hurl, her hair whipping behind her at an unnatural speed. She tried to not look up, she knew that the Underworld would just look like streaks of color as they zipped past. Hades squeezed her hand tightly, looking down at her kindly.

“Travelling through mirrors doesn’t feel like this, does it?” she groaned.

She heard Hades chuckle over the screaming wind. “No, it’s pretty instantaneous, you’ll just feel a slight sting if anything”. The ferry screeched as it slowed itself down; they were nearing their destination. It stopped at another corroded dock. Hades stepped out first and turned to help Persephone out. “Charon,” Hades said, “would you mind coming with us? Bring the lantern, would you?”

“My King, there is an abnormal influx of souls today that need to be ferried. There were a few hundred when you first summoned me. I don’t dare to think how many there are now.”

“They can wait Charon. This is more important.” Hades didn’t even look back, knowing that Charon would follow. Persephone glanced back and saw Charon mumbling to himself as he fumbled with removing the lantern from its hook. He smiled meekly and waved at Persephone when he noticed her looking at him, the burned corners of his lips pulling back slightly.

Hades led them to what appeared to be an abandoned castle, its weathered ivory towers looked like broken bones against the red sky. Persephone grew more anxious the closer they got to the castle. Hades could tell and was rubbing reassuring circles on her hand with his thumb. They climbed the rickety steps up to the castle doors and Hades turned to Charon. “I’ll need you to stay here while I escort my wife inside. May I have the lantern please?”

“Yes, my King,” Charon said as he handed it to him.

“Thank you.” Hades placed his hand on the rusted handle of the castle door, and it fell off in his hand. He cursed under his breath and handed the lamp to Persephone, kissing her cheek as he did so. “Just a moment, love.” He produced a blue hellfire ball in his hand and hurled it at the doors. They were reduced to ashes in just a few seconds. Hades grabbed the lamp back from Persephone, placing his other hand on the square of her back and led her into the depths of the castle. As soon as they were far enough inside that Persephone was sure Charon would not hear, she started giggling.

“What’s so funny?” Hades asked.

“I was just thinking about how mad you just made Charon. Making him stay here because you ‘need his lantern’ when you just magicked a ball of hellfire in front of him.”

The blue light of the lantern made the smirk on Hades’ face look almost sinister, but it warmed Persephone’s heart. “I figured I would mess with him a bit, what with him complaining about actually doing his job and all.” Persephone burst into laughter and Hades chuckled.

An earsplitting shriek rattled the halls of the castle, and Persephone stopped dead in her tracks. For a moment, she wondered if this castle was abandoned because it was haunted. She quickly shook the idea from her head. After all, the whole of the Underworld could be considered haunted. Another screech shook the walls and dread filled her heart and her legs felt like lead under her. “What was that?” she asked.

“What we came to see,” Hades answered grimly. He led her down the winding stone stairs. They went deeper and deeper still, the air becoming more frigid with each step. At the bottom of the stairs, the narrow corridor opened into a circular dungeon room. In the center of the room stood a circular, transparent cage. She couldn’t tell if it was the light of the lantern playing tricks on her or if there was something incredibly dark inside the cage. Hades led her closer until they were only a few feet from it.

It was living, whatever it was. It was as thick and as black as tar. It screeched as it hurled itself at the cage again and again. The ground rumbled with each impact of the mass. It crawled at a terrifying speed across the surface until it was right in front of Persephone. She gasped as she watched it surge around, moving with a fluidity akin to the clouds. She felt as though she were staring into a dark oblivion, an obsidian abyss. She was overcome with the urge to know what it was like, to be nothing, to know nothing. Her feet moved with a mind of their own, drawing her closer to the cage. She pressed herself against it, wishing she could slip through the barrier. She needed to be consumed by it, to be completely wrapped in the nothingness. It flung itself at her, thumping the glass and startling her out of her stupor. She turned to Hades.

“What is that? What did it do to me?” She asked, her voice pitched as high as her fear.
Hades held her hand and pulled her to him. He smoothed her hair back and tucked a loose curl behind her ear. “That used to be a mortal. She was one of Zeus’ lovers. He only visited her the once, but once was enough and she became addicted. That’s why gods are forbidden to lay with mortals. Once they’ve a taste of the divine, everything else is dull in comparison.” Hades walked up to the cage with pity swimming in his eyes, placing a hand tenderly against the glass. “She was obsessed. She needed to see Zeus again. She became a priestess at one of his temples, spending every waking and sleeping hour there. She prayed to him day and night, begged him to visit her again. Zeus was deaf when it came to her; he hates desperation. She wasted seven years at the temple, praying every day.”

The creature screamed, its motion more frenzied than before. Hades closed his eyes and sighed. “One day, she convinced herself that Zeus did not respond because he could not hear her. Surely, he would have come to her by now. So, she took it upon herself to find him. She travelled to every known seer and magician. She tried every oil, potion, and spell she learned of. None of them worked. Eventually, she found a shaman, one who promised her he could get her to Olympus. She was at the end of her rope and was willing to try anything. He warned her of the consequences, but she didn’t care.” The shadow was shrieking nonstop now, frantically crawling up the walls of the cage, pieces of the mass clinging to the walls as it crawled, almost like hands and feet. “The shaman cut her hand and had her draw the runes on a copper mirror. He told her to imagine Zeus, to think of him in his chamber in Olympus. The shaman instructed her to put her hand up to the glass.” The creature moaned and stopped abruptly, swirling itself in front of Hades. He stared right into the mass, as if he could see the eyes that were once there. “The old magic was too much for her to handle, her soul splintered between the realms. She shattered and this is the result. This is an Eidolon.”

“And this is what will happen to my children?” Persephone couldn’t take her eyes of the Eidolon, couldn’t bring herself to look at her husband who was asking her to make an impossible decision.

“No, Seph, not our children. This won’t be a possibility for a few generations, not until the mortal blood in our great-great-grandchildren outweighs the immortal.”

Persephone closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose before she scoffed harshly. “I guess I don’t really have a choice in all this do I? Either do nothing and allow millions of mortals to die or agree and subject my descendants to this.”

Hades closed the distance between the two of them and wrapped her in his arms. She clutched the front of his shirt in her fist and buried her head in his chest. “I’ll support you no matter what you decide.”

She looked up at him, the features of her face hardened. “Well love, there’s no time to lose. The sooner you teach me how to do this, the sooner I can give my mother Hell.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a new story and is still in progress. Please let me know what you think! :)