The Forgotten Duff

I Heard You

Stepping down from the school bus I silently started my walk down the block to my prison, aka my parent’s house. Normally I enjoyed the short walk, however the battery in my mp3 player had decided to die during the bus ride.

The sky was gray and it began to lightly rain. My headphones slid down to my neck when I tilted my head back allowing the rain to gently kiss my face as I strolled. I didn’t really want to go home but at the moment had no other choice. Two houses down from my own I spied Mrs. Jensen out in her garden. I quickened my pace and pulled the headphones back on in hopes that she wouldn’t bother me as I walked past.

A few feet from my driveway I felt a tap on my left shoulder. My heart sank, I was so close yet so far from escaping the evil witch, who at times could be worse than my own mother. I spun around with a grim smile and pulled my head phones off.

“Mrs. Jensen, How can I help you?”

“You can tell your friends to park in front of someone else’s house when they pick you up at midnight.” She glared at me over the rim of her glasses.

I looked shocked “How do you know they are my friends?” I challenged.

“Because I watched you climb into the back of the car.” Her face changed to disgust. “Your thong showing from your very short skirt.”

“Well then it couldn’t have been me.” A wicked smiled crossed my lips. “I don’t wear underwear.”

Horror crossed the elderly woman’s face. “You’re lucky I don’t talk to your mother.” her eyes focused on me. “But it’s not my place to tell other people how to raise their children.”

“You’re absolutely right.” I nod in agreement, fighting the urge to comment on her legendary gossip skills.

“Do tell your mother I just loved the cherry pie she sent over yesterday.”

“Whatever.” I roll my eyes turning around and begin walking up the driveway. I half expected Mrs. Jensen to stop me again, like always but she didn’t

I pushed open the front door and quietly close it behind me. As I kick my shoes off I stare at the floor counting the shoes that were present. My heart jumped for joy when my count came up short two pairs, it meant either my parents were gone or my mother had packed away shoes.

I stood still for a moment listening. The house appeared silent as I walked down the hallway passing the living room glaring at the trophy case where all my pageant pictures and crowns were proudly displayed. Entering the kitchen I immediately spied a plate of chocolate chip cookies sitting on the island, intrigued I walked over to the plate. I reached for the cookies, my hand almost grabbing one.

“Those aren’t for today.” My mother’s voice came from the right of me.

I looked at her, she was just shutting the basement door. “What were you doing down there?”

“Putting things in storage.” She walked over to the cupboard.

“What are the cookie’s for?” I questioned taking one.

She pulled a glass down and sit it in front of me. “Hilary is coming home tomorrow.”

I took a bite of the cookie in my hand. “How long will she be staying?”

My mother walked to the fridge and grabbed the milk. “Don’t talk with food in your mouth.” She poured milk into the glass in front of me. “I think she will be home just for the weekend.”

I finished my cookie and drank the milk quickly. Ready to retreat into my bedroom and escape my mother before she had the chance to question me. “Good cookie.” I gave a smile then headed for the stairs.

“Don’t forget to do your homework.” She called after me.

“Alrighty.” I answered running up the stairs.

At the top of the stairs I took a right walking down the hall to the last door on the left, my bedroom door. There was no mistaking who this room belonged to, at eye level was a hand drawn sign consisting of a girl devil in the middle, the words above the she devil read ‘Hell’s Angel’ and below my name ‘Helena’ something I had made in art class during a free draw exercise. Scattered around this sign are random pictures of friends, mostly guys. I reach into my front pocket and pull out the key to unlock my door.

I had gained this unusual privilege after the famous incident when my mother had completely ransacked my room while I was at school because she was convinced I was doing drugs, of course she found nothing. After this invasion of my privacy I convinced my father to allow me to buy a lock for my door to prevent any further incidents.

Once in my room, I kicked the door shut behind me and dropped my bag to the floor knowing I wouldn’t bother with homework until tomorrow right before class. Without taking another step, I fall to my right turning just slightly so I would land on my back on the end of my bed. With a deep sigh I breathe in the scent of my room which permanently smelled like a mix of incense and my perfume.

I lay in the quiet of my room, debating what I should do. My computer makes a sound letting me know I have a new message. Excitedly I jump up and rush over to my messy computer desk. I sat down to quickly causing my chair to roll away with annoyance I position myself back in front of the computer. I became less excited when I see the message was from Hilary and not one of my friends, but I read it anyway.

'Hope you don’t have plans for the weekend and if you do break them! I’m coming home tomorrow with a surprise I think you’ll love!'

Curiosity prickled my brain, different thoughts ran through my head. Could it be a shopping spree, shopping was one thing we could agreed on, plus she always paid. Maybe a spa day, I looked at my nails, that was something I could use.

'Lucky for you I don’t currently have plans'

After sending my message I jumped back onto the bed. Crawling up the bed until my head hits pillows. Rolling onto my right side my eyes immediately land on a picture sitting on the night stand. This picture was taken almost a year ago; my hair was short and in my eyes, a big smile on my face. Next to me with his arms tightly around my waist is Shane.

Closing my eyes I can remember perfectly the day the picture was taken. It was a warm summer day, but it was windy. Shane and I were at the park having a picnic lunch for our six month anniversary. We had been friends forever before we became a couple. It was a perfect day, but like all things in my life everything came crashing down around me. The next day I received a picture message from his ex, of them in bed together. He claimed the picture was old, taken before we ever took our friendship to the next level. I wanted to believe him but had to much doubt in my head. So I ended things, brought us back to being friends.

I wake up with a jolt because my cell phone was ringing in the front pocket of my jeans. I pull the phone out quickly answering it. “Hello.” I greet with a mumble, still not completely coherent.

“Awe, were you taking a nap without me?” Shane pouted.

“I didn’t realize I fell asleep.” I yawn into the phone. “What’s up?”

“Party tonight. At Seth and Brady’s apartment. You in?”

I was suddenly wide awake. “If you come pick me up.”

He laughs. “You already know the answer.”

“What time?”

“Guess that depends on if you’re going to sneak out or not.”

“It’s Thursday.” I thought a moment. “So, yeah I will be.”

“11:00”

“Great.” I sit up. “Gives me plenty of time to make myself beautiful.”

“You’re always beautiful.” He softly replies.

I could feel my cheeks turning red. “See you later.” I hung up not waiting for a response from him.

I sat lost in my head until a knock on the door brought me back to reality. I crawl to the end of the bed and open the door. My father’s smiling face greeted me.

“Dinner’s done, so wash up.”

I smile back. “Be right down.”

He heads back to the kitchen, while I walk across the hall to the bathroom. I leave the light off as I turn the sink on. I dampen my hands before squirting some soap onto them. As I work the soap into a lather vanilla sent fills the room. A quick rinse in the warm water before turning the sink off and drying my hands on a dark red towel. The vanilla sent follows me down the hall, at the top of the stairs my nose is hit with the smell of my mother’s cooking.

My nose wrinkled in disgust. “I hate fish.” I state nose walking to the table.

“Then don’t eat the fish.” My mother reasons setting a bowl of corn on the table, then taking her seat at the left side of my father who was at the head of the table.

I sit on my father’s right side, keeping my eyes on her.

“Did you wash?” She questioned.

“No, I was playing in the toilet.” I rolled my eyes.

“Let’s have a nice dinner.” My father states eyeing me, then leads us in a prayer.

I dish my plate with a baked potato, corn and a dinner roll, keeping the fish as far away from my plate as possible.

My mother holds the plate of fish out to me. “You should try it.”

“I hate fish.” I push the plate away. “You know that.”

“Molly,” My father interrupts before an argument can start. “The food is excellent.”

“I added lemon to the fish.” She replies happily.

He turns to me. “How was school?”

“Fine.” I answer but when I look at him it’s clear he expected more of an answer. “Carson lit a stink bomb during science class and placed it in Mr. Keller’s desk when he went to the bathroom.” I laughed.

“How rude of him,” Mother glares. “How is Megan Hanson?”

“I’m not really sure.”

She sighs. “You two used to be such good friends during the pageants.”

I shrug. “People drift apart.”

“All I’m saying is that you would be better off being friends with her then those troublemaker boys you hang around. It just isn’t normal for a teenage girl to ONLY be friends with boys.”

“Can we have one meal where you don’t hate on my friends?”

“We did,” She countered. “Breakfast.”