The Forgotten Duff

The Great Escape

Once dinner was done and I had placed all the dirty dishes into the dish washer I ran back up the stirs to the safety of my bedroom. It was only 7:30 which meant I had plenty of time before I even had to think about getting ready for the party.

I turned on the radio and made myself comfortable at the desk, reaching into a drawer I pulled out my sketchbook. I pushed the computer keyboard out of the way, pulled the pencil out of the binding and opened the book to a clean page. I place my hand in the middle of the blank page waiting for inspiration to strike.

Soon my hand begins gliding around the page, the pencil leaving light marks as it follows. The lines on the paper start to take shape mimicking the finished picture already in my mind. A face forms first then the body, the pencil only leaving the paper when I think I’m done. Satisfied I set the pencil down, reach into the drawer pulling out the pencil box containing all of my colored pencils. Searching through the many different colors selecting only a few to start with. I begin with tracing my pencil lines, making them darker with the colored pencil. As I color, I press the pencil down hard in some spots and lighter in others giving my picture more of a realism effect. By the time I’m completely done with the picture I realize that it reminds me of Shane.

Shaking my head I try to rid my brain of it’s sudden obsession with Shane. I return the pencils back to their box and into the drawer, toss the sketchbook on top and slam the drawer shut. Glancing at my alarm clock I see that it’s 9:45, a good time to start getting ready.

Standing up I stretch my legs before walking to the door. Pulling it open I look down the hall, seeing no one, I leave my room door open and walk into the bathroom. Once in the bathroom I close the door while flipping on the light. Ignoring my reflection I walk across the room to the shower, turning on the hot water before stripping out of my clothes.

I reach a hand in to feel the water temperature before subjecting my naked body to it. First I was my hair and body, then grab my shaver. Carefully I shave my legs, being sure not to cut myself. Before turning the water off I double check my legs being sure all the hair is gone.

As I pull back the shower curtain, I run my fingers through my hair getting as much of the water off before stepping out of the shower and grabbing a towel. Quickly but thoroughly I dry myself off before wrapping the towel around my naked body, tucking the end underneath my arm. When I leave the bathroom I turn the light back off.

Crossing the hall in four steps, I reach my bedroom, closing the door behind me. Glancing at the clock I see it’s 10:28, I was running out of time. I made the decision to not waste time and effort changing into my pjs just so I could walk down stairs, being sure my parents would see me and assume I was going to bed. Skipping this crucial part of my standard sneak out plan was a risk I was wiling to make.

Keeping the towel tight around my body, I walked across the room to the closet. With one hand on the towel, I used the other to pull open the closet door. Inside all my clothes are well organized; jackets, hoodies, long sleeved shirts, t-shirts, tank tops, shorts, jeans, long skirts, short skits, long dresses and short dresses. Hiding underneath all this are drawers full of bras, panties, swimwear and lingerie. Under these drawers are all my shoes, this is the only part of the closet not organized.

Bending down I pull open the top drawer and looked through the bras and panties to find a matching set. Finding a set I take them out and toss them onto the bed, while using my foot to close the drawer. Now for the hard part, looking through everything else for the perfect party outfit. Do I want to wear a dress? Top and skirt? Or maybe something more casual. Scanning through the shirts, I debate over a few before making a decision that I didn’t want to wear any of them. I moved onto the dresses and began searching. It didn’t take me long to make a decision. My choice, a black halter style dress with front and back center panels of red plaid with matching piping down the sides, a black belt that latches at the waist in front and at the bottom a simple black pleated skirt.

I walked over to the bed to get dressed. Since the dress I picked would look silly with a bra on, I tossed it back into the closet. Once I was dressed I carefully peeked out into the hall, hearing my parents talking in the living room I walked into the bathroom to do my hair and makeup.

Smokey eye’s, red lips and curled hair, pure perfection! Once completely done I blow a kiss at my reflection before rushing back into my bedroom, locking the door behind me. Locking my door is something I always remember to do, ever since my mother caught me sneaking back into my room. I check the time, 11:30 “Shit” I mumble to myself. Shane has been waiting a half hour. I walk to the closet for a pair of shoes, I grab a pair of black high heels. The last thing I pulled out of the closet was a purse.

I throw some random things into the purse and make sure I have my phone before walking to the window. Opening the window, the cool night air enters my warm room, I toss my shoes out then take one last look in my purse to make sure I had everything before starting my climb.

I sit on the window ledge, legs hanging down, sitting there I close my eyes and take a deep breath. “Thank you, whoever planted this tree that has grown so big to reach my bedroom window. It has provided me an excellent way to sneak out of my prison.” Opening my eyes, I wink blowing a kiss up towards the night sky.

I turn my body around, dropping myself out the window, hanging onto the ledge tightly while my feet find the branch. Once my feet locate the branch, I carefully lower myself down. Once fully on the branch I turn my body and start walking towards the tree trunk, using the branch like a balance beam. Having done this so often, my movements were precise and quick.

Reaching the trunk of the tree I wrap my arms around it and swing to the right so I could drop down to the next available branch. The entire trip took about five minutes from the time I crawled out the window.

I pick up the shoes I tossed out the window, then run around the side of the house. I could see Shane parked slightly in front of Mrs. Jensen’s house but he was sitting on the curb waiting for me. Once I reached the road I slipped the shoes on and walked towards him swaying my hips, slowing my walk the closer I got to him.

“You look….WOW.” He jumped to his feet. “Well worth the wait.”

“Not looking so bad yourself.” I wink walking to the passenger door. I was just about to climb into the car when Mrs. Jensen’s front door opened.

“I very kindly asked you earlier to tell your friends not to park in front of my house Helena,” She stood with her hands on her hips. “You leave me no other choice.”

“Do your worst Mrs. Jensen.” I laughed climbing into the car.