Sequel: Always
Status: Active ♥

Forever

Ten

Brooklyn was staring into her coffee cup when Jared arrived home, looking up as he placed his hands on her shoulders and offering him a sad smile. She had been mad at her dad for not telling her, but she understood why he didn’t want to watch her mom die and he was right.

“It’s time,” her dad stated as he checked his watch, standing up and putting on his jacket.

“I can’t,” Brooklyn mumbled with tears in her eyes, “You were right, I don’t want my final memory of her to be... to be that.”

“That’s fine,” her dad told her.

“Can I just stay here?”

“I’d prefer it if you weren’t alone, but... if that’s what you want to do, then okay.”

Her dad soon left with Jared and Brooklyn retreated to her room, lying on her bed. She was staring at the ceiling, when her phone chimed a while later and tears formed in her eyes as she read the text that her dad had sent out to everyone that knew her mom.

‘It is with a heavy heart and great sadness that I must announce that at 10:15 this morning Leah passed away.’

Brooklyn spent the rest of the day hiding in her room, scrolling through the family pictures on her laptop and trying her hardest to keep reality at bay. Locked away in her room, she was able to pretend that nothing had changed and, right now, that was what she needed.

“Brook,” came Jared’s voice from the other side of the locked door, causing Brooklyn to pause and glance over at the piece of wood that separated them, “I just want you to know that I’m here... when you’re ready and that it’s okay to not be okay.”

With a deep breath, she made her way over to the door and opening it with shaking hands.

“I’m not okay,” Brooklyn whispered as tears streamed down her face.

“I know... come here,” Jared replied, pulling her forward and wrapping his arms around her tightly.

ஓ๑♡๑ஓ

The next few days were hard for Brooklyn and she spent most of the time in her room, isolated from everyone. Everyone was sorry for her loss, but those people would soon forget and move on. Hearing her phone chime, she picked it up and opened the new text from Axel.

‘Hey hermosa, how’re you holding up?’

‘I don’t know, but it’s okay because people are sorry and brought us Lasagne...’ Brooklyn sent back, feeling guilty for the snappy response and sending out another, ‘I’m sorry, I guess right now I’m just numb and all I’ve heard over the last three days is how sorry people are.’

‘I get it, it was the same when my grams passed away,’ Axel replied within minutes, ‘Brandon mentioned that you’re coming back to school tomorrow?’

‘Yeah, dad doesn’t think that staying home and hiding away in my room is good for my mental health.’

‘He’s probably right, you know where I am if you need a bodyguard to fend off the idiots or, you know, just need me.’

‘Thanks.’

Putting her phone on the bedside table, Brooklyn couldn’t help the small smile that appeared on her face and drifted off to sleep feeling a little less anxious about her return to school.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy ♥