Sequel: Always
Status: Active ♥

Forever

Twelve

Returning home after school, Brooklyn dropped her bag by the front door and headed into the kitchen. As soon as she spotted her dad sitting at the table, she knew that something was wrong and waited for him to speak.

“I was speaking to Al today over at the pancake place in town,” her dad said as she grabbed herself a can of soda, closing the refrigerator door and leaning against the counter to show that she was listening, “He mentioned that you were in there recently with Axel Garcia and a group of his friends, is that true?”

“Yeah.”

“What have I told you?”

“That you don’t want me hanging around with him,” Brooklyn replied quietly.

“Yet, you disobey me and do it anyway.”

“He’s my friend...”

“Don’t argue with me,” her dad snapped, “You are grounded until further notice... go to your room.”

Not wanting to argue, Brooklyn retreated to her room and started her homework. It was late, when her dad left for work and she headed downstairs to get some dinner.

“What did you do?” Jared asked as he entered the kitchen, washing up the dirty dishes he was holding and leaning against the counter.

“He found out that I’ve been hanging out with Axel.”

“Is that it?”

“He’s mad that I disobeyed him,” Brooklyn added with a shrug, “I just wish that he saw that Axel is important to me.”

“Some people are worth breaking the rules for,” Jared told her with a smile, pulling her into a hug and kissing her head, “Don’t let dad dictate who you should be friends with, otherwise you will end up losing the ones that mean the most and I don’t want to see that happen.”

The next few days consisted of school and tense dinners with her family, but Brooklyn hoped that the weekend would be better. Her dad’s punishments never lasted too long and with her mom’s funeral coming up, she thought that he’d give her back her freedom... but he didn’t. Sat at the kitchen table, Brooklyn focused on her homework and grabbed her phone as it chimed.

“Who’s that?” her dad inquired as he got ready for work.

“Just Brandon,” Brooklyn lied, deleting the text message and putting her phone back down, “He was just asking if I was still grounded.”

Noticing the look that Jared was sending her way, she turned her attention back to the project in front of her and avoided his gaze. She hated lying to her dad, but Jared had been right and she refused to let go of the friendship she had with Axel.

“What did Axel want?” Jared stated as soon as their dad left for his shift.

“He wanted to take me to see a movie,” Brooklyn admitted.

“Then go... you shouldn’t have to spend your Saturday stuck indoors.”

Staring at her brother for a few seconds, she watched as Jared motioned towards the door with his head and arranged to meet Axel at the cinema in town.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy ♥