Sequel: Always
Status: Active ♥

Forever

Fifteen

Wednesday soon arrived and Brooklyn woke up with the feeling of dread in the pit of her stomach, which was something that she was becoming all too familiar with. Dressed in black, she looked at her reflection in the mirror and grabbed her phone as it chimed.

‘Thinking of you today, stay strong babe’ she read as she opened the new text from Axel.

‘I’m trying’

With her notepad in hand, Brooklyn took a deep breath and headed downstairs to join the others. She hadn’t been able to find the right words to finish her speech, but perhaps it was less about putting the words on paper and more about speaking from the heart.

“Do you want some breakfast?” Jared asked as soon as she took a seat, causing Brooklyn to shake her head and offering her a knowing look.

“You really should eat something,” her dad added.

“I feel sick... I’ll just eat later.”

The cars soon arrived to pick them up and she followed her dad outside, pausing when she spotted the coffin. An artistically crafted wreath in the shape of the word mom had been added, accompanied by several other floral pieces and Brooklyn couldn’t help thinking that her mom would have hated it.

“Come on,” Jared mumbled, placing his hands on her shoulders and leading her over to the car that they’d be riding in.

People were already waiting as they pulled up, most of whom Brooklyn knew and it was nice to be reminded of the number of lives her mom had touched. Brooklyn couldn’t watch as the coffin was carried down the aisle by her dad and five of his colleagues, who placed it down gently. She struggled to hold it together as person after person shared their memories of her mom, then it was her turn to speak and she took her place at the podium.

“I had a speech prepared, words that told everyone what an amazing person my mom was and how much she will be missed... but you already know,” Brooklyn stated, glancing back at the coffin and returning her attention back to the people in front of her, “Today we are gathered to say our final goodbye... today the grieving continues and after a while that grieving will turn to healing. There will be tears shed as we come to terms with what we have lost and laughter as we replay memories we shared that cannot be taken away, but, through everything, no matter how hard we struggle there will be love.”

Swallowing past the lump that had formed in her throat, Brooklyn took her place next to Jared and curled into his side as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders. They soon made their way outside and Brooklyn watched in silence as her mom’s body was lowered into the ground, only then did reality truly set in.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy ♥