Sequel: Always
Status: Active ♥

Forever

Five

It was already half nine when they arrived at Brooklyn’s house, pausing on the doorstep and standing in silence. She didn’t know what to say, she should thank him for walking her home and yet, she didn’t have the words. 
 
“So...” Cameron said. 
 
“So,” Brooklyn repeated, shifting nervously from foot to foot and keeping her gaze on the ground. 
 
“Would you want to do something tomorrow?” Cameron asked, “Just the two of us.” 
 
“Like a date?” 
 
“Not like a date... an actual date.” 
 
“Erm... sure,” Brooklyn agreed with a smile. 
 
“Great, I’ll pick you up tomorrow at about seven,” Cameron stated, earning a nod from Brooklyn and walking away with a smile. 
 
Putting Braxton to bed with his Simba plush, Brooklyn headed back downstairs and set up Mario Kart for when Jared got home. She had just finished making popcorn, when her brother walked through the front door and dropped down on the sofa. 
 
“How was work?” Brooklyn inquired as she joined him, handing him a drink and putting the popcorn on the table. 
 
“It was... interesting,” Jared replied, grabbing a controller and setting up the game, “You always think that you’ve seen everything, until you work the weekend night shift at a diner and you realize that there are some crazy drunks out there.” 
 
“Craziest encounter of the night?” Brooklyn added, picking up the other controller and focusing on the screen. 
 
“Drunk guy wearing nothing but a pink tutu and fairy wings.” 
 
Laughing, Brooklyn threw her hands up in victory as she crossed the finish line first and popped some popcorn in her mouth. 
 
“Kicked your ass big brother,” Brooklyn taunted with a grin. 
 
“Best of three.” 
 
Brooklyn won two of the three races, before Jared suggested that they watch a movie and she agreed. She was tired, but it had been a while since she’d spent time with Jared and she wanted to make the most of it.  
 
Falling asleep halfway through American Pie, Brooklyn woke up the next morning and groaned as she sat up. The sound of voices caught her attention and she followed them to the kitchen, taking a seat. 
 
“I need you to watch Braxton today,” her dad informed her, causing her to pause and look up. 
 
“What?”  
 
“I have work and Jared has a shift, so I need you to look after your brother.” 
 
“I have plans... I’m going to see a movie with a friend,” Brooklyn said. 
 
“So, going to a movie with your friend is more important than looking after your baby brother?” 
 
“That’s not what I’m saying,” Brooklyn argued, “I’ve been looking after Braxton ever since mom went into the hospital, picking him up from Lindsay’s every day after school and taking him out on the weekend. He’s lucky if he sees you briefly at breakfast and he needs his dad... we all need our dad.” 
 
Unable to hold back her tears, Brooklyn left the room and retrieved her phone as she rushed out the front door. It was raining, but she couldn’t go home and so, she carried on walking. 
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy ♥