Status: Active

The Screeching Banshees

Tucson, Arizona

The bands arrived at the Tucson Convention Center at around 4 in the afternoon. Outside the center didn’t look so big the inside however was an entirely different story. They walked through a back entrance so nobody could get a glimpse of Motley Crue just yet and were lead up a walkway that lead onto the stage.

“Whoa.” Josie said as they all stood on the center of the stage.

Nikki chuckled at the Banshees reaction. “Pretty impressive isn’t it?”

Josie simply nodded and walked forward her bandmates followed her as they all looked at the big space behind the guardrail. Then their eyes wandered up to the sides of the stage where there were 2 big monitors.

“Just think this place is gonna be packed tonight and we’re the opening act.” Brooklynn said.

Josie nodded. “I know, it still seems so surreal there’s gonna be a lot of people here tonight.”

“Yeah, so don’t fuck this up or make us look bad.” Vince said condescendingly. “All the people who paid good money to see us it would be an embarrassment and bad publicity if this concert didn’t go well because of y’all.”

“I’ll make you like a damn roasted marshmallow if you don’t shut the fuck up.” Lyra said pointing a finger in Vince’s face.

He simply chuckled. “Whatever you say sweetheart.” He said before walking outside lighting a cigarette.

Lyra lowered her fingers still glaring daggers at Vince’s retreating back as Aries came beside her.

“God, what an asshole.” Aries said shaking her head.

Lyra nodded in agreement before turning to face the others. “Can I hurt him?” She asked making some laugh and some shake their heads.

“As much as I would enjoy that, hell I’d help you with it we’ve got to unload and get everything in place.” Rodney said leaving with Tracy close behind.

“I still can’t believe the size of this place.” Bexlee whispered.

“I know.” Brooklynn said then smirked. “HELLO!”

The others covered their ears as she yelled and her voice echoed through the venue.

“Really?” Juno asked lowering her hands.

Brooklynn shrugged. “Why not?” “I just wanted to see how loud it is in hear without the audience.”

“I say you were pretty damn loud.” Aries said.

“Very damn loud.” Tommy said huskily and winked making her smirk.

Lyra made a gagging face. “Get a room you two.” She said.

“Oh, we will eventually.” Tommy said then walked to Brooklynn and whispered in her ear. “Soon.”

She shuddered slightly as his lips grazed her ear and he walked off the stage.

“Okay, chickee snap out of your lustful daze.” Lyra said gently slapping Brooklynn’s face making her slap her friend back as they engaged in a playful slapping match.

“You guys are so damn childish sometimes.” Juno said shaking her head.

Both women stopped and threw an arm around the others shoulder.

“You’re just now noticing and realizing this?” Lyra said making Juno roll her eyes with a laugh.

“We should go help Rodney and Tracy with the equipment.” Bexlee remarked.

“Yeah, let’s go.” Lyra said following her with Aries and Juno close behind.

Brooklynn started to follow till she noticed that Josie wasn’t following. She turned to find Josie still standing in the center of the stage looking at the empty venue.

“You okay?” She asked her.

“Yeah, I’m just in a daze.” Josie said not wanting to let on that Vince’s words had gotten to her. “And nervous.”

“Is it because of what Vince said?” Brooklyn asked as Josie reluctantly nodded. “Look he’s an ass don’t pay him any attention you’re gonna do great.”

Josie nodded still unconvinced. “You’re not gonna do great.” Mick said. “You’re gonna do phenomenal.”

Josie looked at him and smiled in thanks as he returned her smile and squeezed her arm before walking out the venue.

“He’s right, we’re all gonna do phenomenal.” Brooklynn said hugging her friend. “Let’s go help the others.”

“Give me a couple of more minutes.” Josie said as Brooklynn nodded and left leaving her and Nikki alone.

“They’re right you know.” Nikki said making her look up. “Don’t pay any attention to Vince he’s been real difficult since we’ve gotten straight.” “Most of the time he’s just talking shit because he’s mad
he can’t have a drink.”

“I know but…I’ve had times wondering and thinking I wasn’t good enough and things would happen that make me feel that way though I know I’m capable of great things, sometimes the feelings will
just come up randomly and I don’t know how to make them go away.” Josie said.

“Hey.” He said lifting her chin up till she looked in his eyes. “If it means anything I spent most of my life feeling the same way.” “My mom didn’t take care of me the way she was supposed too and my biological father wanted nothing to do with me.” “For the longest time I wondered was there something wrong with me because why wasn’t I good enough for my own parents to want me?” “Until the band really blew it took me years to realize you’re not gonna be good enough for everybody but you’re gonna be good enough in some people’s eyes and those people that think you’re good enough are the ones that really matter/count.” “I think your band is good enough otherwise I wouldn’t have even offered you this opportunity.”

Josie smiled softly. “You’re quite the motivational speaker Nikki Sixx.”

“I try.” Nikki said with his signature smile getting lost in those eyes again without thinking he blurted out. “What color are your eyes?”

Josie blinked stunned at the sudden question before answering. “They’re amber extremely rare eye color to have.”

“They’re beautiful.” Nikki whispered making her look down before facing him again.

“Well, I better go and help the others.” Josie said breaking their stare.

“Yeah.” Nikki nodded. “See you later.”

“Yeah, and Nikki?” She asked.

“Yes?” He said.

Josie debated with herself before hugging him and without thinking kissed him on the cheek. “Thank you.”

“Gangway!” Rodney yelled as he ran onto the stage with the cart holding their equipment and instruments.

“Geez!” Josie exclaimed jumping back as he ran stopping in front of her chuckling at her expression as she shook her head.

“What?” Rodney asked. “We’re supposed to have fun on tour right?”

“True.” Josie said looking through her notebook as Rodney stood behind her his chin resting on her shoulder.

“Deciding which songs to play tonight?” He asked as she nodded. “Well, Doc and Doug told me y’alls opening act is gonna be 30-40 mintues long so pick out enough songs to fill that slot.”

“Okay, thanks.” Josie said. “I’ve picked out 10 songs just have to go over it with the others.” “We’re gonna perform like we did at the Whiskey half are gonna be covers the others half are gonna be our own songs.”

“Sounds good.” Rodney said looking over the list. “The setlist looks good too.”

“Thanks.” Josie said with a smile before setting the book down and helping Rodney unload their equipment as Brooklynn entered carrying two guitar cases.

Juno entered rolling up her drums with Tracy close behind with the cymbals, Bexlee carried her keyboard case and stand setting it down.

“Dudes, I’m so stoked for tonight.” Brooklynn said.

“Ditto.” Juno said taking out her sticks and twirling them.

“Where’s Lyra and Aries?” Josie asked looking for them.

At the moment the final two members entered. “Speak of the devil and she shall appear.” Lyra remarked with a smirk.

“I’m pretty sure the devil is a guy.” Bexlee said.

“The devil could be a chick though haven’t you ever heard of she devils?” Lyra said wiggling her brows mischievously.

“Okay, since you’re all here.” Josie spoke up and held up a list. “We all can look over the set list and see if everyone’s okay with it.”

The set list consisted of the following:
Covers:
Go Your Own Way by Fleetwood Mac
The Sweetest Taboo by Sade
Cherry Bomb by The Runaways
Everybody Wants to Rule the World Tears for Fears
Dream On by Aerosmith

Original Songs:
Missing
Famaliar Taste of Poison
Make Me Wanna Die
Drive
Bury Me Alive

“What do you think?” Josie asked her friends.

“I like especially Cherry Bomb.” Brooklynn smirked. “Let’s pay tribute to the chicks that inspired us.”

“Damn right.” Lyra said giving her a fist bump. “We’re gonna blow the roof off this bitch.”

“That’s the spirit now let’s get everything set up.” Rodney said as they started unloading the cart.

“Oh my God I can hear the crowd.” Bexlee said fastening a clip on the side of her hair.

“I hope so because if we didn’t that means this joint is empty.” Lyra said putting in her nose piercing.

Tracy walked into the room where the band was getting ready. “How’s everybody feeling?”

“Ready to rock this shit.” Lyra said.

Tracy smirked at her then noticed Josie was sitting on the couch fiddling with the edge of her red plaid dress.

“You okay?” She asked putting her hands over Josie’s which were resting on her knees.

“Yeah.” She said nodded. “I’m okay.”

Tracy looked unconvinced. “You’re gonna do so fucking good I guarantee you you’re worried about absolutely nothing.”

“She’s right.” Rodney said entering the room and coming over. “Y’all are gonna put on such a great show hell y’all are gonna put Motley Crue to shame.”

Tracy rolled her eyes at his exaggeration but smiled. “No matter how this goes you’ve all gotten this far and this is one step closer to a breakthrough.”

“One step closer Josie.” Brooklynn said coming over to sit next to her. “That’s a step closer than we were just a few days ago and all because you decided to take a chance.”

“We wouldn’t have gotten this far if you hadn’t decided to take a leap of faith and take this offer.” Bexlee said sitting on the arm of the couch.

Josie looked up at her friends all looking at her with various looks of appreciation and support. Lyra, Aries, and Juno nodded their heads in agreement with the others.

Josie finally cracked a smile and stood. “Thanks everyone.”

“Okay, we’ve got to do a group hug after this.” Rodney said opening his arms. “Come on!”
Josie embraced him first as everyone else followed embracing each other tightly. They all made their way out the room that was their makeshift dressing room and walked up the walkway the sounds of the audience getting louder. They finally were backstage where Doc, Doug, and the Crue were waiting.

“Hey everyone.” Doc greeted them. “First off I wanna see you ladies all look amazing.”

“Pretty damn amazing.” Tommy said grinning lecherously at Brooklynn in her crop top, leather jacket and skinny jeans.

Doc ignored him and continued. “This is your first time performing in front of a crowd this big right?”

The Banshees nodded. “Well, first off I wanna tell y’all good look and have a great show and I don’t mean to put pressure on y’all but a lot is running on this opening act.”

Lyra snorted. “We get it, we know that, you don’t have to keep reminding us.”

“Anyway, have a great show and good luck.” Doug said. “I’m sure you will be magnificent.”
The Banshees nodded their thanks before they all made their way to the stage as the announcer started to introduce them individually. Juno was up first and ran onto the stage being blinded briefly by the lights before going to her drum set. Aries was next, followed by Lyra, then Bexlee, then Brooklynn.

“Good luck.” Josie turned to see Nikki standing behind her.

“Yeah, good luck and don’t fuck this up.” Vince added cursing as Nikki punched him in the gut.

“You’re gonna do great.” Nikki said giving her an encouraging smile she smiled nervously as her name was called.

Josie took a deep breath before walking onto the stage the lights blinding her as she made her way to the center where the microphone was.

“I give you The Screeching Banshees!” The announcer said making the audience cheer louder.
Josie’s breath caught in her throat as the lights dimmed slightly and she could finally see the audience. Her eyes widen seeing people as far as the eye could see they all looked like little ants the further back her gaze went.

Brooklynn began playing the opening riff of Go Your Own Way. Josie swallowed and opened her
mouth but no sound came out. Brooklynn and Lyra stopped noticing no singing.

“Josie?” Bexlee said.

Josie didn’t hear her at all, all she could hear was her own heavy breathing as a sick feeling came to her stomach. Her palms got sweaty as she began to hyperventilate. Then the voices in her head began.

“Don’t fuck this up for us and make us look bad.” Vince said “If you mess up it’s bad publicly for us.”

Then finally another more familiar cold unfeeling voice could be heard in her head.“You’re nothing.” Brad said. “You and your little band are nothing.” “You’ll never be worth anything.” “You’re nothing and you’ll always be nothing.”

His voice broke the straw on the camel’s back as she felt a hand on her shoulder and looked into Brooklynn’s concerned face.

“I can’t do this.” She said then quickly ran off the stage.

Josie ran backstage breathing heavily before leaning against a wall trying to steady her breathing as her vision became blurred.

“Josie.” A concerned voice said as she looked up to see two blurs coming towards her. Her vision focused revealing Tracy and Rodney.

“You okay?” Rodney asked rubbing her back.

“I can’t do this Rodney.” She said shakily.

“Why not?” He asked calmly.

“There’s an audience out there.” Josie said.

“An audience as opposed to what else have you been performing in front of since 16?” Tracy asked.

“That was an audience, this is an audience audience!” Josie said still panting. “I feel like I’m gonna pass out or vomit.”

Rodney was now rubbing her hands and checked her pulse. “Tracy her heart is racing.” Tracy felt her pulse then took her hands as Rodney returned to rubbing her back.

“Josie.” Tracy said softly pushing her hair back so Josie could look at her clearly. “Focus on me the sound of my voice and breath okay?”

Josie nodded but both of their voices were fading in and out as she tried to steady her beating heart.

Meanwhile back on the stage the audience was getting agitated and started to get frustrated.

“Guys, what the hell is going on with Josie?” Lyra asked frantically and in concern running over to Brooklynn and Aries.

“I think Josie had a bit of an anxiety and/or panic attack just now.” Bexlee said. “Tracy and Rodney are trying to calm her down.”

“So, what do we do?” Lyra asked. “Go back stage to see if she’s okay?”

“As much as I want to we can’t go off stage too.” Aries said. “The crowd will go crazy and riot.”

“Well, I don’t wanna get booed at and get shit thrown at me!” Lyra exclaimed.

“What are we supposed to do then?” Bexlee asked.

Brooklynn stood wanting to check on Josie but also knew that Aries was right they couldn’t go off stage too. “We improvise.” Brooklynn said firmly.

“You positive that will work?” Bexlee asked.

“No, I’m not but we have to save this opening act.” Brooklynn said. “Let’s do this.”

Brooklynn made her way to the microphone as the audience started yelling get off the stage and y’all suck. She ignored the criticisms and shifted the mic.

“What’s up Arizona?” Brooklynn asked. “How are y’all doing tonight?”

The audience started saying various is she for real and what kind of question was that.

“Well, Josie is currently not feeling too good so we’re gonna entertain y’all for the time being.” Brooklynn said as she started playing the opening riff of AC/DC’s Highway to Hell.

The others followed her lead as Lyra and Aries joined in and Juno started playing the drums as Brooklynn began to sing.

Living easy, living free
Season ticket on a one-way ride
Asking nothing, leave me be
Taking everything in stride

The audience’s booing and yelling ceased as they started to move along with the beat of the song and singing along with Brooklynn.

Don’t need reason, don’t need rhyme
Ain’t nothing I would rather do

Going down “What time is it audience?” Brooklynn asked the audience and they yelled party time in reply making her grin.

My friends are going to be there too
I’m on a highway to hell, on the highway to hell
Highway to hell, I’m on the highway to hell

Backstage Doug and Doc were watching the remaining Banshees perform.

“She’s not half bad.” Doug said in approval as Doc nodded in agreement before excusing himself to see about Josie.

Josie was now sitting down drinking some water her heart still racing but not as much as before. Tracy and Rodney were on either side of her still trying to calm her down but now they were occupied by 3 of the Crue members.

“You okay?” Doc asked.

Josie looked up her eyes red with tears. “I’m so sorry.” She said as he shook his head.

You have nothing to be sorry panic attacks it happens to the best of us.” He said giving her a friendly smile. “Besides your bandmates are putting on a hell of a show right now.”

“They are can’t you hear them?” Mick asked softly making her look at him. “Best damn cover of Highway to Hell I’ve heard.”

She looked at Tommy and Nikki who nodded in agreement. “I’m so sorry.” Josie repeated before they could reply Vince came over.

“You’re sorry?” He shouted at her making Rodney block his path in worry. “Sixx, I told you bringing them with us was a mistake, that she would mess up and she did!”

“Shut the fuck up and leave her alone Vince.” Tommy said standing next to Rodney blocking him from Josie. “Besides don’t you hear the audience doesn’t sound like they’re booing to me.”

“Well, they were not too long ago and…

“Vince, that’s enough.” Doc said firmly. “Now take a fucking walk and don’t you bother her.”

Vince glared he glanced again at Josie before shrugging Doc’s hands off his shoulders. “Whatever.” He mumbled walking away.

“Don’t let him get to you.” Tommy said. “If you’re not up for it you don’t have to perform none of us except Vince aren’t gonna be mad if you don’t.”

“I have too.” Josie said determinedly. “I’ll let my band members down and I’ll let you guys down, and those people who paid good money to see you guys if I don’t.”

“Still, you don’t have to go back out just yet if you’re not a 100%.” Rodney said then heard the opening riff of Bad to the Bone playing as Lyra began singing the first verse. “Besides it sounds like the others have it covered for now.”

Josie smiled softly. “Thanks guys, I think I’m good now.”

“You sure?” Tracy asked.

“Yeah.” Josie replied wiping a stray tear away.

Rodney and Tracy hugged her, while Tommy gave her a friendly squeeze on the shoulder, Mick
gave her an encouraging smile and pat on the back which left her and Nikki alone.

“You okay?” He asked kneeling in front of her.

“Yeah, I’m sorry I froze up out there I think I just got overwhelmed is all.” Josie said looking away from Nikki’s unconvinced look.

“I can tell it’s more than that.” Nikki said. “Tell me I know it’s kinda soon and funny to say this but you can tell me anything.”

“Well, when we first got here Vince told me not to fuck this up or make y’all look bad and if we fucked up it would be an embarrassment and bad publicly for Motley Crue.” She said.
Nikki’s face hardened. “I’m gonna kick his ass.” He said angrily as Josie shook her head quickly.

“Please don’t Nikki.” She said grabbing his hands.

“He shouldn’t have said that shit to you.” Nikki said standing up. “He’s gonna fucking apologize for that even if I have to force one out of him.”

“It’s okay Nikki really Vince is just one person and his opinion means squat especially since you, Mick, Tommy, and your managers want us here.” Josie said squeezing his hands.

Nikki calmed down slightly looking at their hands marveling how small hers was compared to his. He then noticed something else looking closely he noticed what looked like an old slash mark on Josies wrist. He turned her wrist over seeing a couple of more lines underneath the heart music note tattoo on her wrist. She quickly tried to pull her wrist away but he held it firmly. Her breath shuddered as he traced a mark with his finger before placing a gentle kiss on her wrist.

“It was a very bad time in my life and I didn’t handle it well.” Josie said breaking the silence. “I was really fucked up.”

“Hey, I’m not judging don’t need to remind how fucked up I was hell I still am.” Nikki said.

“No you’re not you’re better and I know we haven’t known each other long but next to my dad and Rodney you’re one of the nicest guys I’ve met.’ Josie said.

“You’ve must not have met too many decent guys.” Nikki said looking away mainly in shame remembering the deal he made with Vince.

“No, most were assholes but you’re not.” Josie said turning his head back to face her.

Nikki reached up placing his hand over hers he leaned down as Josie stood on her tiptoes. She briefly thought about how she hadn’t known Nikki for long, how she didn’t want to be one of the many women he bedded, but something about this felt right. His lips grazed hers…

“Hey, Nikki we…

Josie and Nikki pulled away looking at Tommy who stood there fighting a smirk across his face.

“What did you need T-Bone?” Nikki asked with a mildy annoyed tone.

“Nothing just Doc giving Vince a tongue lashing for his behavior earlier thought you had some words for him as well.” Tommy said finally smirking.

“I do I’ll be there in a bit.” Nikki said.

“Okay, you okay?” Tommy asked Josie walking over.

She nodded. “Yes, thank you Tommy.” She said kissing his cheek in thanks.

Tommy’s eyes widen. “Don’t get me wrong Josie you’re a beautiful woman but I have eyes for the lead guitarist.”

Josie rolled her eyes finally smiling before turning back to Nikki. “I think I’m ready to go now.”

“You sure?” He asked.

“Yeah, thank you again.” She said hugging him before giving him a kiss on his cheek as well before heading up to the stage.

“Well you two look really intimate just then.” Tommy said smirking widely.

“Shut up T-Bone.” Nikki said shoving his laughing friend as they walked to where the rest of the Crue were.