Status: Infrequent updates!

Salt

The Girl in the Water

Blurry. Everything is blurry.

And it crashed into me. The burn of my lungs, the grit under my fingernails, the gush of the calm stream begging me to find something solid.

I coughed. Blinking, I was welcomed to the vision spewing water. It trickled down the stones until it was out of sight, probably back to the solitude of its mother.

My entirety ached. I could smell the distinct scent of blood, but there weren't any visible cuts on me, at least not from this view.

It took all my strength to roll over, onto my back, where I stared at the dull grey sky. Seagulls screeched and flapped their wings, but I couldn't see them. The grey wasn't just from the hanging clouds.

How did I end up here?

After a few moments of just soaking up the serenity, I hobbled to my feet. My ankles were stiff and somewhat frozen, so standing tall was a feat. I tried regaining my balance, as I took in my surroundings.

Salt Lake, our town's most prized tourist attraction. It wasn't large, I think it spanned half of the town's area, but it was beautiful. With the flower reeds, high salt count and crystal clear water, it brought enlightenment and peace to everyone that came to take a snap.

Looking down, I finally realized the soggy state of my dress. Yes, an actual dress. White, or at least it used to be.

I played with the frays at the side, they were soft yet gritty - must've been from lying on the shore. The tousles tickled my damp skin, as I entertained them by letting my hand wander up. My flesh was still somewhat smooth, given that I'd just been immersed in salt water.

I gasped. I wasn't wearing underwear.

I whipped around to the face the lake. Still, serene, deceiving and as wonderful as ever, it was the first thought that crossed my mind until all else dawned on me.

There was no way that I happened to just pass out in the lake. In an unfamiliar dress, sore with no recollection of what brought me here. There was more to this than just a random fainting spell I may have had.

What. The. Actual. Fuck.