I Was Counting on Forever

F I V E

A few weeks had passed since Joanna had found out she was pregnant, but she swore Jack to secrecy that he would tell no one. She wasn’t sure how people would take the news. She was sure everyone would be happy about the news, but she wasn’t sure she was ready to endure everyone’s excitement. She was still mourning the lose of her fiancé, and not sure how to navigate the future. She did make a promise though, that she would indeed share the news before her dear friend left to get back on the road to tour with his band, which as much as she dreaded was drawing close. He would be leaving now in less than two weeks. She was pulled out of her head by a knock on her door.

She answered the door and was greeted by the boy she had expected to be on the other side, along with his bandmate. “Hello jack, hi Rian.” She greeted as she opened the door and moved to the side allowing them to enter the cozy three bedroom apartment.

“How are you feeling today?” The lanky boy inquired.

“Not too bad, tired, all I want to do is sleep. I miss having energy, poor benny is going crazy being cooped up in the apartment. I’m sure he’s ready for me to just feel better.” She told him just as the dog wondered in, no doubt because he heard his name mentioned, she patted his head as trotted over and sat at her feet.

“Well how about we take him out for a walk? I’m sure Rian and I can handle him, and we’ll pick up some lunch on our way back?”

“That sounds great. Thank you.”

“No problem, it’s the least I can do.”

She wondered to the laundry room to grab the dog’s leash and tennis ball. She handed both to the boy and walked them to the door. Once they left she made herself cozy on her couch and decided to watch a show or two while they were out. It didn’t take to long for her to doze off though and while she didn’t intend to the rest was nice. She was around 8 weeks pregnant now, and while the time after losing Paul seemed to drag by it at the same time felt like it flew by. Morning sickness was her current worst enemy, she was looking forward to it passing but knew it would be a couple weeks still before that happened. She had spent some time researching doctors and found one she thought would be a good fit, but her first appoint was still a couple weeks away. The guys returned an hour or so later and gently woke up the sleeping girl on the couch. She stretched and sat up greeting the hyper dog. “How was your walk?” She asked as she headed towards the eat in kitchen.

“Good, hopefully ben worked out a lot of his energy.”

“I’m sure he did. “ She replied as she grabbed some plates down from the cabinets. “What wuld you two like to drink?” She asked as she took some glasses.

They both replied with water. She headed to fridge to lill the glass for the three of the,

“Are you ready to leave for tour?” She asked attempting to make small talk as they all took seats around the table.

“Well we start practice later tonight, we’ll do that every evening up until we leave. I haven’t even started packing but that’s nothing new. We all know I like to wait until the last second.”

“Yeah we all know how you like to leave everything until the last second.” The second boy replied laughing, because he knows it will end in a last minute trip to a store to grab things he’ll forget because nothing good comes from leaving it to the last second.

“Speaking of leaving for tour, have you put anymore thought into sharing your news with everyone?” Jack asked.