Stories Yet To Unfold

S I X

~One week later.

“Where’s Hannah?” She could tell he was drunk. No wonder it took him so long to get home tonight.

“I dropped her off with Rian on the way to work today. He leaves in a week and he wants to spend some time with her before he does.”

“I don’t like her going over there all the time with him.”

“Well I kind of can’t help it. He is her dad and she needs to spend time with him whether you like it or not.”

“Woman, I don’t know who you think you are talking to me like that! And I‘m not dumb. I know what you do when you drop her off. I know what you two do behind my back. After everything I‘ve done for you! You‘re fucking him behind my back!”

“I nev-” She was stopped by the back of his hand hitting the side of her face.

“I’m sick of your attitude!” He yelled at her then punched her in her side. The pain literally brought her to her knees as she tried to get back the air he had just knocked out of her lungs.

“I’m leaving.” She told him as she tried to stand back up, only to be knocked right back down by him and then getting kicked in the side a couple times.

“You’re not going anywhere.” He told her as he turned and headed for the stairs.

Once she heard the shower start to run she quickly brought herself up to her feet and went in search of her purse and car keys, when she had finally found them she rushed for the door to leave before he got out of the shower and could catch her.

She had no idea where she was going to go, she had hardly any friends because she stayed pretty occupied with Hannah, Jake, and their busy schedule. She figured she could call her friend Sarah and stay with her for the night. She was sure she wouldn’t mind letting her crash on her couch for a night. She wasn’t sure what she going to do the following day, she had to go pick up Hannah from Rian’s house at ten the next morning because he had some things he had to get in line for tour and he thought Hannah would get bored if she had to go around with them all day long. It was times like these she wished her parents were supportive of her and Hannah and that they didn’t live over two hundred miles away.

The next morning the boy rushed to the door to answer it after he had heard a knock. He already knew who it would be, Samantha was coming to pick up Hannah before the guys were leaving to get some things done for tour. They were leaving in less than a week and they had things they needed to get done beforehand.

“Hey She’s up st-” Rian stopped talking as soon as he looked up and saw her face. “What happened?”

“… I left Jake, I don’t know exactly what I’m gonna do just yet, but um, it got really bad Rian.” She told him as she was trying to hold back her tears. She didn’t want to cry in front of him, she didn’t want him to know how much of a wreck she was right now. She was a total mess and she knew it, but the last thing she wanted to hear was Rian telling her he told her so.

“When did you leave?”

“Last night, he came home drunk from hanging out with his friends and we started fighting and then he uh, he hit me a couple times and as soon as he left the room I bolted out of the house.”

“Where did you stay last night?”

“…Sarah’s.”

“Where are you staying tonight?”

“I have no idea, there really isn’t enough room for both me and Hans at Sarah’s. I’ll probably rent a hotel ro-”

“Stay here.”

“Rian, I-”

“Sam, we’re leaving in a couple days. You and Hannah will have the place all to yourselves. You don’t have to stay permanently here if you don’t want to. I would like you to, but I understand. Just please stay at least until you find another place to go… What happened last night?”

“Last night after he got home he asked me where Hannah was, then he got mad ‘cause told him she was with you. He said he doesn’t like her spending so much time over here and he said knows what we do when I drop her off here an-”

“He thought you were with me.” He more so stated rather than asked, he knew that his assumption was right. She couldn’t even answer him, all she could do was nod. “Sam, you can’t go back there. Look what he did to you.”

“What am I supposed to do Rian? I have no clothes or anything for me or Hans” She asked him as she felt the tears build up in her eyes threatening to fall at any second.

“Did you take any of your stuff with you last night when you left?”

“No, I was just trying to get away fast enough before he caught me and did anything else.”

“Well, let me get Alex to keep an eye on Hans and then we’ll go and get your stuff from the house.”

“Ri-”

“No Sam, I’m going. God knows what he would do if you showed up there by yourself.”

“I’m sorry.”

“What for?”

“You leave for tour and you probably have a bunch of things to do, yet you’re stuck going with me to get things from my house.”

“It’s fine, don’t worry about it.”

Once Rian asked Alex to watch Hannah so they could go get things taken care of the two if them loaded up in Rian’s car and made the twenty minute drive to Samantha’s house that she and Jake had shared.

“Are you nervous?”

“Extremely.”

“Well don’t be. He can’t do anything to you with me there.”

“Thank you.” Rian looked over at the girl that was currently sitting in his passengers seat. There was no doubt that he had feelings for her. It was pretty much impossible not to for him not to with her being the mother of his daughter. He was aware of how wrong he had acted when she told him the news that she was pregnant, he wished he had never brought up the suggestion of abortion when she did because now every time that memory comes to him he feels guilty, if he could turn back time and erase all the ill things he had said to Samantha and the way he treated her he would do it in a heartbeat, but that’s impossible and he knew that. “What are you staring at?” She asked him with a hint of amusement in her voice.

“Oh, nothing. Sorry.” He loved her, not in a relationship kind of way, but she was the mother of her child and he loved her, and he felt it was only right to protect her like he does his daughter.

“The lights green.” She told him shortly before the car began to move again. “You know, I don’t think I have rode with you in a car since before Hannah was born.”

“Have my driving skills improved any?”

“Very much, having a daughter in the backseat will make anyone’s driving skills improve.” Sooner than the small auburn headed girl would have liked they were parked in her driveway and getting out of the car. Rian walked up beside her and gripped her shoulder in a reassuring way.