Status: workin on it!

Leather & Lace

3.

This girl was going to be trouble.

The moment I saw the glint in my father’s eyes I knew this was going to go badly and he’d confirmed that, laughing with her and offering his- and consequently my services. She’d even made him laugh, which didn’t seem to happen much anymore, I’d noted with a hint of jealousy.

I knew he’d punish me for bringing her home. My father did not like surprises or cleaning up other people’s messes. But I’d wrongly assumed it would be hard labor or training, not forcing me into the role of babysitter. It was a fitting punishment for the crime though, I had to admit. Papa was always the resourceful one. Which meant even worse for me, because Crystal would be paying a visit tomorrow.

She was the governor’s stepdaughter and both she and her mother fit the bill perfectly. High class, snake-like, all bleach blonde hair and legs for days. She was attractive in the way a Greek statue was beautiful, cold and inexorable. She could’ve been a model if she weren’t busy playing public figurehead with her parents. The governor was a little seedy man with clammy hands and often reminded me of a little submissive dog, happy to eat up whatever scraps my father dropped for him. Papa had reminded us though that no matter what size, any dog can bite the hand that feeds and insisted we have someone on the inside; hence our relationship.

It had been easy at first, being with her. She would make weekly appearances, get her jollies off, and leave before I’d even pulled my jeans back on. I could go back to my business afterwards; after all, she was just another pair of thighs I could bury myself in. But lately she’d gotten the idea we should consider marriage. What looked better than the governor’s daughter making peace between the good side of the law and the infamous Russian mafia? She’d go down in history, she’d said with stars in her eyes at the prospect. I hadn’t told Papa about her ridiculous ploy; he’d laugh me out of the room and tell me to get my bitch on a tighter leash. He did not hide in the shadows by any means, he was Godfather Volkov after all, but he would not pretend to be something he wasn’t.

I had a sneaking suspicion that woman had no soul but needed to do what my father asked. She was power hungry, an attribute that proved she was her father’s daughter. Her only interests were politics and sex, although I had to admit she was an expert at both. That woman could suck the soul right out of a man.

Crystal was also a very jealous woman. Although on multiple occasions she’d reminded me of the ‘favors’ she handed out in return for information from other men. She also never failed to remind me that it wasn’t personal, it was just business. I’d allowed that knowledge to keep me from feeling angry and disgusted with not only her but myself for years although the idea of being married to that woman for the rest of my life did nothing good for me.

If she got wind of another woman in my midst, she’d be on me like a shrieking hellcat. I had to play my cards right. I would see to it first thing in the morning that Allie got a room of her own on the other side of the mansion. I knew it wouldn’t totally get me out of hot water, but it would keep Crystal from asking too many questions hopefully. And it was only for a few days. We would be finished taking care of Sergei’s loyalists in minimal time, then I’d wash my hands of this whole ordeal and then I could get back to worrying about holding off any ideas of matrimony Crystal had.

Easy as pie.

Allie said she collected DVDs. She also had made a comment about liking eighties music, which had inheritably gotten her mixed up in all this in the first place. I’d be a liar if I said this quirky little woman hadn’t piqued my interest. She’d managed to get on Papa’s good side without even trying.
I sat on the couch and allowed my thoughts to wander as I relaxed into the soft material. It wasn’t my bed by a long shot, but it was my second favorite place to be, second only to our home back in Russia. We only used it as a vacation home now, but it held many memories of mine from before this life.

My mind went back to the image of her shapely body and sun kissed skin... I hadn’t meant to walk in on the poor girl, but I couldn’t bring myself to regret it. I had to fight the masculine urge to explore this soft little creature who undoubtedly was scared out of her mind. After all she was amidst some of the most dangerous men on the planet.

She’d proven me wrong almost immediately, snapping at me with a ferocity I hadn’t expected out of someone so small. It was not the scorn that I was accustomed to with Crystal, and I found it oddly cute amidst my infuriation at her uncooperative attitude. I had to resist the urge to laugh as I helped her up from the floor. She’d glowered at me but held her head as proud and regal as any queen. I couldn’t fight the urge to glance over her half nude form and I wasn’t disappointed. She was the opposite of Crystal; she was soft and curvy and couldn’t be more than a few inches over five feet tall. She had big blue eyes and a dusting of freckles across her cheek bones and nose. Tendrils of her brunette hair had fallen around her face, framing her features in a way that somehow made her look that much more adorable.

“Aladora…” I tasted her name on my tongue as I flipped on the television and let a random film play, propping my feet up on the coffee table. Sleep never came easy for me.

I wondered what else this little spitfire enjoyed besides DVD’s and old music as I let my head fall back against the back of the couch.

Surprisingly, I was dozing off moments later.

**

I opened my eyes surrounded by light. I had to blink furiously before my eyesight cleared enough that the room came into focus. The previous night’s events came back to me and I sat up quickly, my worries becoming certainty as I grasp that last night wasn’t a dream and I really was sleeping in the son of a kingpin’s bedroom because I needed their protection.

“Oh fuck me…”

“I don’t think that’s necessary.”

I snapped my head up to see a shirtless Demetri standing in front of the dresser with his back to me. The first thing I notice is the mural painted across his skin depicting a snarling wolf with blood dripping out of its mouth standing over some kind of deer with it’s throat torn out. The image took up most of his lumbar area, and was surrounded by an almost paisley design colored in black, gold, and red. The ink rippled as he turned slightly to face me, slipping on a black tee shirt as he went, like the one he wore yesterday.

“The deer means to run; the wolf means to stand and fight. The Volkov’s would die before fleeing.” He must’ve noticed me gawking at him. I quickly glanced down, not wanting to be caught staring.

“It’s um, it’s beautiful. What is the design surrounding it?” I wondered. I caught a glimpse of more ink on his torso, but he covered it too quickly for me to see. He turned again and pulled out something from the drawer he was just in and it caught the light; a matte black handgun.

“Khokhloma. It’s a Russian ornament design that depicts the importance of forests and nature,” he replied, leaning against the heavy dresser and meeting my eyes now that he was fully dressed. “It’s one of my mother’s favorite types of handicraft.”

“Your mother has great taste,” I complimented as I pulled the covers up to my chin awkwardly. I really wasn’t sure what to say in this situation, but I wanted to keep him talking.

“Wait until you see her collection,” he let a small smile slip out and rolled his eyes. “I’m sorry if I woke you. I’ll be leaving to fetch your things shortly.”

“No problem. Um, should I come with you or..?”

“That’s not wise. I will have food sent up if you’d like something to eat while I’m gone. Your rooms will be ready for you in a few hours as well,” he said in a gruff tone, all humor out of his voice just as quickly as it had appeared as he suddenly cocked the pistol and slipped it into his waistband.

“You had better not shoot my fucking dog!” I snarled, suddenly hyperaware of the weapon as a million different thoughts went through my head. It dawned on me that he might see Demetri as an intruder and the image of my poor dog getting hurt again fueled my abrupt fury.

“Easy little lamb, I won’t hurt your little dog. This is strictly for if we run into our friends from last night,” he reassured, a smirk playing on his lips.

“Promise me you won’t…” my words came out more desperate than I’d hoped. The fire that had fueled my words just a moment ago was quickly dying out, replaced with anxiety.

“I promise,” he nodded his head, still simpering.

“Alright well, food would be nice, I guess. Would you be willing to grab a few books for me?” I asked tentatively. I didn’t have my phone and I had a feeling I wouldn’t be doing any sight seeing anytime soon so I might as well take advantage of the time to catch up on my reading.
“We have a library if that interests you,” his guard was down again fully, and I saw his eyes gleam with something I didn’t recognize. It was the same look his father had given me last night.

“A library? Actually, yeah that would be awesome,” I felt my face light up immediately at the prospect. My second favorite place to be besides the clearance DVD bin was the library. Anything to transport me into another world that was not my own.

“I’ll show you after I return then.” He tore his unblinking gaze away and started out of the room.

“Okay thanks!” I called desperately as he left. He didn’t even ask me what I wanted him to grab, I noted with a grumble.

Throwing the covers back, I decided a shower wasn’t a bad idea. Hopefully by the time I was done he’d be back with some fresh clothes. I peaked out into the den, half expecting him to be standing there but was only half disappointed. I hated showering at other people’s houses, but at least this way if I embarrassed myself, I would be alone.

“Whoa…” I gasped as I entered the bathroom. It was all black and white marble, a basin style his-and-hers sink to the far left and a glass shower to the right, but in between the two sat a huge matte black jacuzzi style bathtub. The bathtub by itself probably cost more than my entire apartment building. It was calling my name, the idea of a shower completely gone from my mind.
If I was going to be here, I might as well live up the perks, right?

I grabbed a fluffy white towel from the linen shelf built into the wall and set it on the edge of the tub, fiddling with the faucet until finally the water was pouring out.

I looked around; if I could just get some music going, it’d be perfect. I glanced out into the den area and noticed a small IHome sitting on a glass table.

I fist pumped the air at my good fortune and turned it on. The air was filled with the keyboard intro of ‘Dancing in the Moonlight’ by King Harvest. I grinned to myself. If not for the fact Demetri was completely devoid of feelings and was part of the Russian Mafia, he’d be my soulmate.

I swayed to the beat instinctually as I made my way back into the bathroom, the chorus resounding
off the walls as I slipped out of my meager coverings. I felt almost giddy as I slipped into the steamy water, groaning as I was engulfed by bubbles and heat.

“This is more like it!” I said aloud, giggling to myself as I dipped under the water to wet my hair. It felt like I was at a resort, minus the fact I was being basically held captive by mobsters. I leaned back, and let the music take me to my happy place.

I’d been in the tub for an indiscriminate amount of time and had just put the finishing touches on my bubble mustache/goatee combo when I heard a faint knock on the bedroom door just outside the bathroom.

I didn’t even get a chance to answer- the oak door opened and I did my best to duck down into the frothy white bubbles as someone entered, carrying a tray.

“Allie?” the other man- Viktor I think Demetri had called him, yelled out and glances around with a furrowed brow. He looked akin to his younger brother but wore a clean-shaven face and his wavy black hair reached past his shoulders.

“Oh, um, I’m in here!” I answered, making sure I was completely covered in bubbles.

I heard him curse in Russian and immediately turned so that his back was facing me.

“My brother requested I check on you. I’ve brought you something to eat as well,” he shouted, setting the tray on the coffee table. I heard him mutter something about not being his brother’s maid, but I didn’t say anything.

“Well thank you, um, Viktor, right?” I leaned up so that my arms were perched on the ledge of the tub and I was facing him.

“Yes.” His voice was heavily accented, even more so than Demetri’s. It reminded me of Yuri. I noted the assumption that maybe they moved here when Demetri was younger, that’s why his accent wasn’t as thick as his brother’s and father’s.

“Do you require anything else Allie?” his tone was clipped and annoyed.

“No sir, thank you so much for bringing me food,” I tried to be as polite as possible. He muttered something in Russian, and I could all but hear him roll his eyes as he left the room wordlessly. Did nobody in this house know how to say goodbye?

My stomach started to growl at the prospect of food and as much fun as I was having, I couldn’t put off eating. I’d started to rinse off when it dawned on me that Viktor had undoubtedly seen my bubbly facial hair.

I groaned. I could only imagine what he must’ve thought of the sight of a twenty-four-year-old playing in the tub with bubbles like a child.

Hopefully he didn’t tell Demetri.