Bandit Bride

Sixteen

Felix wouldn’t exactly call Travis a friend. They got along and had known each other for a long time, but both of them would turn around to stab the other in the back if the situation called for it. They had done it plenty of times before. But Travis had been one of the few people to offer genuine condolences after Anthony had died, and Felix could appreciate that.

He could tell Elisa was still on edge as she sat beside him by the fire, watching quietly as everyone chatted and caught up. She didn’t seem to trust him, and Felix couldn’t blame her. He hadn’t exactly made a stellar first impression on her.

“So,” Felix said, “Are you all heading north, too?”

“Nah, south,” Travis said, shaking his head. “Looks like we’re going opposite directions this time. We’re headed to Camsir.”

“We just left Camsir,” Felix noted. “We’re on our way to Trevail. I’d watch my back in Casmir, though.”

“Yeah?” Travis grinned. “You stirred up Melvin, didn’t you?”

“Just a little bit,” Felix admitted.

“To be fair, he stirred us up first,” Elisa said.

Travis looked back at her and gave her an amused look, gesturing between her and Felix.

“I’d like to know more about this,” he said. “When it comes to women, our boy Felix always liked to stand off to the side by himself. Where do you come from? Why’d you run out on a wedding?”

“It’s complicated,” Elisa said plainly. “It would bore you, probably.”

Felix noticed Jack open his mouth to say something and shot the kid a glare, warning him to keep his mouth shut. His mouth snapped closed and he sheepishly looked at his feet. Luckily, Travis dropped the subject after that. They didn’t stay too long, heading out when Travis felt confident that his shoulder gash was nothing to worry about.

“We’ll see each other again soon,” he said, patting Felix on the shoulder. “It was a pleasure to meet you, Elisa. Even with the bloodshed.”

She gave him a smile and a nod. Felix watched them disappear into the trees before he retreated back to the tent. Elisa was sitting on the mat, waiting for him.

“Sorry for stabbing your friend,” she said.

“It’s alright, he’s seen worse,” Felix said.

“Do you trust him?”

“Huh?” Felix frowned. “In what sense?”

“I don’t know,” she shrugged. “He’s going to Casmir, and after the whole Melvin situation… Not to mention all the things we sold there. I don’t know. Nevermind, I’m overthinking.”

“You’re overestimating him,” Felix reassured her. “By the time they get to Camsir, he’ll forget this whole conversation. He’s going there for wine, women, and nothing else.”

This seemed to ease Elisa enough for her to go back to sleep. They woke early the next morning to make the rest of the trip to Trevail, which was a relatively small town. It had everything they needed, and soon everyone had gone their separate ways to spend their new earnings. Elisa had gone with Jack, so Felix took the opportunity to do a little shopping of his own.

He was back before everyone else, waiting for Elisa to return with Jack. They weren’t gone too much longer, with Jack sporting a new dagger that he was excitedly attacking tree stumps with. Elisa stifled a small laugh.

“He’s going to exhaust himself,” she said.

“He’ll be fine,” Felix shrugged. “I can’t force him to be a kid forever. Come on, I have something for you.”

“For me?”

Felix nodded and led her just a little ways from the camp, then gave her a package he had been holding on to. She unwrapped it and paused when she saw what was inside. An elegant short sword with pearl inlay in the hilt, tucked into a nice leather sheath. It was lightweight and about half the length of the one Felix carried, but sharp and perfectly balanced.

“Felix, this is…”

“It’s nice,” he finished. “I got to thinking when Travis snuck up on us and you grabbed my sword. You should have something of your own, but something a little bit closer to your size.”

He took the sword back and adjusted the strap over her shoulder.

“It straps to your back like this,” he explained. “Since it’s short, you don’t have to carry it on your belt and worry about it dragging or hitting your legs when you walk. And when you want to unsheathe it, you just reach back over your shoulder. It’s lightweight, so it’s perfect for a quick draw and swing.”

He held her hand and moved it back the way he explained. She grabbed hold of the hilt and attempted to pull it out of the sheath the way he showed her, but didn’t quite make it all the way. The sword clattered clumsily to the ground.

“It’s beautiful,” she said. “But Felix, I’ve never used anything like this before.”

“It’s alright,” he said. “I’ll show you how. I promise you’ll be swinging with ease in no time.”

She smiled and nodded, and they practiced for the next couple of hours. She was a quick learner, and soon she was able to make a quick draw and some simple blocks and attacks against some makeshift dummies Felix had created.

“See?” he said as Elisa took a short water break. “I told you it was right up your alley. Soon enough you can get a second one and dual-wield them like some sort of super soldier.”

She rolled her eyes but was smiling, splashing him with the water.

“The dummies don’t fight back,” she reminded him.

“Do you want them to?” he asked.

“It would be more realistic, don’t you think?”

He thought for a moment, then shrugged and stood up. He pulled his own sword, holding it up. Elisa raised a brow, seeming skeptical.

“I don’t know about this,” she said.

“Sure you do,” Felix said. “Pretend for a moment that you had no interest in handing over any of your things that day we met in the woods. Take a look at me, and tell me where you think my weaknesses are.”

“Well,” she said, drawing her blade, “Your sword is longer and heavier. So it would take longer to swing.”

Felix didn’t let her finish her sentence before lunging forward, and despite being caught off guard she swiftly blocked it. He tried swinging again and she managed to block him again, pushing against him. When she found that he was physically stronger and could push back, she raised her leg and kicked him back in the chest, knocking him back a few steps. Felix fell back and groaned, rolling over on his side.

“That’s enough training,” he grumbled.

“Are you okay?” she said, kneeling down next to him and helping him up.

“Ah, I was really asking for it,” he said. “Good work. I’m proud of you. I’m also in pain. But proud.”

She smiled gently, leaning in to kiss him. At the end of the day, he was glad she wasn’t seriously trying to kick his butt. She probably would’ve succeeded.