‹ Prequel: Breaking the Habit
Status: Active!

Battle Symphony

Far Away, But Never Closer.

-Chester-
I sobered up enough to clean Brynn and myself up and make myself some food while she sat in the bouncer with a toy.
I had just sat down to eat when my phone rang.
Figuring it was Michelle, I picked it up, and answered it.
“Hello?”
“Chester.” It was Jack.
“Jack?”
“What’s going on at home? My daughter is very much not herself, and I want to know why.” he said.
“Jack, we’re still working on the trust issues in our marriage, that’s all I have to say.” I told him.
“I understand that, Chester. But what I know is that Michelle has been crying since I picked her up from the airport, and she won’t say a word to me. That’s not like my daughter. I haven’t seen her this upset since she found out you were hiding your addiction from her. What is going on?” he asked.
“I got upset and said a lot of stupid shit that hurt her. I feel like an asshole, and all I want to do is apologize to her, but I know that she’s not going to talk to me.” I said.
“What did you say, exactly?” he asked.
“A lot of shit. Let’s just say, I can’t seem to let sleeping dogs lie, and neither can she.” I sighed.
“You’re worried about her cheating on you again when you leave for tour next month, and she’s worried about you doing the same while you’re gone.” he said.
“In a nutshell, yeah.” I said, looking over at Brynlee, who was nodding off in her bouncer.
“Well Chester, I understand why you’re both afraid, but what you both need to understand is that you’re not the same people you were before all of that. You’re both parents now, and you have something better to think about. You have Brynlee now, and you love each other. That should be enough. Lord knows you can’t keep your hands off of each other.” He sighed.
“I believe that’s our business. But I agree with the rest.” I chuckled.
“Just keep it between the two of you. Nobody else, just you two.” he said.
“I think we can do that, Jack.” I said.
“Where’s my granddaughter?” He asked.
“Falling asleep in front of me.” I laughed, looking over at Brynlee.
“Aww, does she miss her mother?” He asked.
“Yes, literally the first word out of her mouth when she woke up earlier was mama.” I picked the baby up and took her back to the bedroom.
“I know her mama misses her.” He replied.
“I miss her mama. Do you think if you took the phone to her, she’d talk to me?” I asked.
“I don’t know, I can try though.” he replied.
I heard him knock on the bedroom door, “Michelle, can I come in?” followed by a muffled, “Yeah.”
“Someone on the phone for you, baby.” he said.
The phone changed hands, “Hello?”
“Hi baby.” I said.
“What is it, Chester?” She sounded tired and fed up.
“I wanted to talk to you and apologize.” I said.
“Don’t bother, Chester.” She replied flatly.
“No babe, I want to. I need to, because while a lot of what I said was true, a lot of it was also hurtful and I regret saying it. I don’t like hurting you, baby. I wanted you to know that I love you.” I said.
I heard her breath shudder and she sniffled, “None of what you said was a lie, babe. That’s what fucking hurts. But I swear to you, on God, on Brynlee Faith, that I will NEVER touch another man as long as I live, because I love YOU, and you are all the man I need...And then some.” she added.
I smiled, “And I promise to never touch another woman, because you’re my woman. My wife and the love of my life, and I never want to hurt you again.” I said.
“Where’s my baby?” She asked.
“She’s asleep again. She woke up long enough to eat and play for a little bit, and then she was out again.” I said.
Then the sinking feeling crept into my stomach again, and I bit my tongue, “Babe, I have to tell you something.” I said.
“What?” She asked.
“I was really upset with myself after you left, pissed off at myself for hurting you, and I…” I stopped.
“Oh Chester, tell me you didn’t cheat again.” I could hear the tears in her voice, and the dread.
“No, no. God no. I drank babe. I drank the rest of the whiskey in the cupboard. I’m not sober anymore.” I continued.
“Chester, you were doing so good.” She sighed.
“I know, but I was mad at myself, and mad at you, and it all weighed down on me. I thought I was strong, but I broke.” I said.
“Babe, this doesn’t mean you’re not strong, you are. You were upset and I’m not mad at you.” She said.
I decided not to tell her how drunk I’d really gotten.
“I miss you.” I felt tears on my face.
“I miss you too.” She replied.
“I don’t know how I’m going to sleep without you next to me tonight.” I whispered.
“Sleep on my pillow, the scent will help you be less lonely.” She replied.
“Did you do that when I was gone?” I asked.
“Well, I swiped one of your t-shirts and put it on my pillow when I moved back to Chicago, and it helped.
“Which one did you take this time?” I smiled.
“One of the dirty ones from the bottom of your closet.” She admitted.
“I’ll put one of yours on my pillow tonight, to help me sleep.” I said.
“I’ll be busy pretty much all day tomorrow, so I won’t be able to call until late, but I promise I will call you as soon as I can.” She said.
“I understand, Michelle. Just focus on work, and we’ll be okay here.” I told her.
“I’m gonna get off here and get some sleep. I love you guys, and give Brynn a kiss from me, okay?”
“We love you too, baby. I’ll give her a kiss before I go to bed.” I said.
“And Chester,”
“Yeah?”
“No more alcohol, okay?” She asked.
I sighed, “No more. I promise. Not another drop.”
“We promised to be better people, and we are. Let’s not let something little ruin all the hard work we’ve put in.” She said.
“I won’t, love. Good night.” I told her.
“Good night.”

I hung up and tossed the phone on the table, looking out the kitchen window.
I washed up the dishes, and picked up the toys before turning off all the lights, and going into the bedroom.
I shut the door and grabbed some clothes, peering into the crib.
Brynlee was sound asleep on her back, hair sticking up everywhere.
I smiled and kissed her forehead.
I went into the bathroom, and left the door open, starting the shower.

I started washing off, and thought about Michelle, and how much I missed her.
My hand slid down my stomach, and I slowly started stroking myself, thinking about kissing her perfect skin, her beautiful breasts and long legs, wrapped around me.
My hand moved faster as the hot water fell on my back, dripping off my face neck and chin, bracing myself against the shower wall with my other hand.
I moaned softly, and bit my lip, as my hand worked.
The warm water made it feel amazing, and I imagined her lips wrapped around my cock, sucking every last drop of cum as she peered up at me.
“Fuck,” I breathed.
In my mind, I could hear her moaning my name in my ear, feel her breath on my neck.
I groaned again, “Michelle,” and I came, throwing my head back, letting the water hit my face while I milked my cock until it was spent.
Breathing heavily, I put both hands on the wall, and dropped my head, my mind reeling.
I wanted so badly to kiss her, hold her, and touch her soft skin, see her smile and her eyes sparkle.
I opened my eyes and looked over my shoulder, like I expected her to be there.
Of course she wasn’t, and I sighed, turning off the water.

I peeked into the bedroom, and Brynlee was still sound asleep.
I dried off and got dressed, shutting the light off, I went back into the bedroom.
There was a pile of Michelle’s clothes in the floor, and I picked up one of the shirts and replaced the pillowcase with it.
I pressed the pillow to my face and inhaled her scent, immediately feeling better.
I climbed in bed, and fell asleep.

“Dada!”
I opened my eyes and rolled over.
Brynlee was sitting up in the crib, looking at me.
I smiled, “Good morning princess.” I sat up and stretched.
I looked over expectantly, but was let down to see that there was nobody there.
I got up and picked Brynlee up, laying her on the bed.
“Mama?” she looked over at her side of the bed.
“Mama’s still away at work, baby girl. It’s just you and daddy for a few days.” I told her.
She started gnawing on her fist, looking around the room.
“I need coffee, and I’ll bet you are hungry.” I tickled her stomach, making her giggle.

I went to the kitchen and made her some oatmeal, and started a pot of coffee.
“So Brynn,” I turned around, “What do you think we should do today?” I asked.
She smiled and babbled.
“You wanna go to the beach?” I asked.
Brynlee just smiled.
“I think we should go to the beach.” I said sitting next to her.
My phone rang.
“I’ll bet that’s your mommy now.” I said standing up to get it.
“Hello?” I asked.
“Good morning.” Michelle chimes happily.
“Hey baby, good morning.” I said.
“How’s the two loves of my life doing today?” She asked.
“We’re good, I’m having coffee, and Brynn is eating oatmeal. How are you?” I asked.
“I’m good. Just stopped for coffee, now I’m on my way to work. How’d you sleep last night?” She asked.
“I slept fine. I put your shirt on my pillow like you said and it helped.” I answered, wiping Brynlee’s face.
“Where’s my girl?” She asked.
“Right here, making a mess.” I chuckled.
“Aw, I miss you guys.”
“We miss you too babe. I think we’re gonna go to the beach today, play in the ocean a little bit.” I said.
“You have to take pictures! It’s Brynlee’s first time at the beach, you gotta document it.” Michelle said.
“I know, I was planning on it. I think I’m gonna call Mike and see if him, Kayla and Milo want to come too.” I said.
“That’ll be fun. Just be careful with Brynlee in the water, don’t let it get in her mouth nose, eyes or ears.” She said.
“Mickey, relax. I know what I’m doing.” I laughed.
“I know, I just don’t want her getting sick.” She said.
“I got this mama, don’t fret.” I said.
“I’ll call you when I get home tonight. I’m staying with dad, and Angelo, Gabi and Derek are in town visiting, so I’m sure it’s going to be loads of fun.” She said.
“Oh? What’s the occasion?” I asked wiping the baby’s face again.
“Dad’s Birthday is on Sunday. Chauntelle and Chris are flying out tonight and we’re having a party for him.” She said.
“Sounds fun. Tell Jack I said happy birthday, how old is he now?” I teased.
“He’s 35 and holding if you ask him, but he’ll be 61.” She answered.
I laughed, “Whatever makes him feel young.”
“Well his girlfriend does, and I guess I’m glad he has that going for him. He hasn’t really dated much since he divorced my mom.” She replied.
“Your dad has a girlfriend?? Since when?”
“Since about eight months ago. He met her in Australia.” Michelle said.
“Wow. Well my mom always said there’s a foot for every shoe, so,”
“Chester, She’s 24. That’s the thing, this girl is only a year older than me.Chauntelle says she’s a gold-digger.” She laughed.
“You don’t know that. Just because there’s an age difference doesn’t mean she’s a gold digger.” I said.
“I don’t think she is, I just don’t know why he’d date someone sooo much younger than him.” She said.
“Believe me Michelle, I’m a man and I know why.” I replied, picking Brynlee up.
“Why?” She asked.
“Well, in my experience, 23 year olds are limber, they’re wild, and they’re willing to experiment and do whatever you want.” I replied.
“Oh gross. I don’t want to think about my dad doing THAT.” She retched.
“Well, if he hadn’t, you never would’ve been born.” I filled the sink with water.
“I know, but still I don’t need to know about it.” She said.
“I’m sure he doesn’t like thinking about you doing it either, but he’s come to peace with the fact that you do.” I said.
“I’m doing it with someone close to my age, also, I’M MARRIED.” She retorted.
“Either way, a father doesn’t like to think about their daughter doing that.” I said.
“The only reason you think like that now, is because you have a daughter. You weren’t thinking that the night you took me home.” She said.
“Well, a lot has changed since then.” I said.
“I gotta go babe, but I’ll call you tonight before I go to bed. I love you both, please give Brynlee a kiss for me.” She said.
“I will. We love you too babe.” I replied.
“Bye.”

I hung up and gave Brynlee a bath before getting her dressed.
“Daddy has to make a phone call, and then we’ll go, okay baby girl?” I kissed her cheek and put her in her bouncer.
I gave her her favorite toy and sat on the couch while she gnawed on it.
I dialed and the line rang.
“Hello?” Mike asked.
“Hey man, what’s up?” I asked.
“Hey, we’re just laying around the house, what are you up to?” he asked.
“I was going to take Brynlee to the beach, wanted to see if you guys would join us.” I said.
“Sounds like fun, Kayla has been dying to get out of the house and do something. And Milo still has never been to the beach.” He replied.
“Awesome, meet us there?” I asked.
“Sure, give us about an hour to get ready to go. And thanks for inviting us.”
“Of course man. I know that sitting at home gets boring.” I said.
“Hey, did you ever talk to Michelle?” he asked.
“Yeah, yeah, we worked things out.” I replied.
“Good. You two fight too damn much.” he laughed.
“I know. We gotta work on it.” I said.
“You two have been through a lot. It’s made you stronger as a couple. Now if you could stop holding old shit against each other.” he said.
Brynlee, who’d been content with her toy, was fussing now.
“I gotta go Mike, Brynn’s getting fussy. She probably needs a diaper change.” I said.
“Okay, like I said, give us an hour and we’ll see you at the beach.” he said.

I picked Brynlee up, “Let’s clean you up, princess.” I kissed her cheek.
I stopped in the kitchen and put a bottle in a pan of water to warm it up, bouncing her and singing softly.
She calmed down a little, but kept reaching for the bottle until I handed it to her finally.
I laid her on the bed and changed her diaper while she drank her bottle, looking around curiously.
“And, done.” I picked her up, cradling her, while she drank her bottle.
“Say Brynn,” I tossed the diaper in the trash, “How would you feel about having a brother or sister?” I asked, looking down at her.
She stared up at me.
“I hope that means you’re okay with it, because there’s a good chance it may happen.” I sighed, looking over my shoulder at the clock.
“Alright little girl, let’s hit the road, we’re going to the beach!” I tickled her foot.

-Michelle-
“Dad, I’m home!” I called, dropping my keys in the bowl next to the door.
“Living room, Mickey.” he called.
I took my jacket off, and put it on the coat rack.
“How’d it go today?” Dad asked.
I went into the kitchen and got a bottle of water out of the fridge, “It went well. Making some progress.” I replied.
I walked into the living room, and nearly dropped my water.
“Angelo!” I threw my arms around my oldest brother, hugging him.
“Mickey mouse!” he picked me up and spun me, like he’d done since I was a baby.
“Dad said you guys were coming, but I guess with everythign going on, I must’ve forgotten.” I turned and hugged Derek, then Gabriella.
“Yeah, dad said you’ve had a lot going on here lately.” Angelo sipped his scotch.
“Well, I’m a mom now, and of course my marriage has been nothing less than complicated at every turn, thanks to me of course.” I sat between Derek and Angelo.
“Well, where’s my niece?” Angelo nudged my ribs with his elbow.
“She’s at home with her daddy. I was already in Chicago for work.” I said.
“We’d like to meet her sometime. Her dad too.” Derek said.
“You will. I promise.” I laid back on the couch.
“Chauntelle said Chester wasn’t really her dad.” Angelo said.
“Angelo Dean!” Dad shouted.
“What?” he finished his scotch.
“It’s okay dad. No Angelo, Chester isn’t biologically Brynlee’s dad, but on paper and everywhere it counts, he is.” I said.
“Yeah? What happened there, anyway?” Angelo asked.
“Angelo, leave your sister alone.” Dad sighed.
“Dad it’s fine, really.” I told him.
I sighed, and poured myself a scotch on the rocks, “The day after Chester and I got married, he left to go to treatment for his heroin addiction, which he’s kicked, thank god. And that night, his best friend and bandmate came over to check on me, because at the time, I was six months pregnant with our first daughter, Bailee. One thing led to another and I started having an affair with this man. Well, I felt bad about it, naturally, so I let the cat out of the bag, and it finally got back to Chester, who came home after I ended up in the Emergency Room because I broke down and shot up heroin. I told him the truth, and he was understandably upset,” I paused, downing the glass of scotch, “And after discussing it, we decided to stay together. But the anger from the betrayal wasn’t gone, and things got physical one night, causing me to lose the baby, and driving a huge wedge between us. I made the decision to separate, and he hesitantly agreed. During which time, I started dating the other man, Mike, but me being me, I had to have my cake and eat it too, so I was still sleeping with Chester, we were drinking, we were shooting up and Mike didn’t know a thing about any of it. For awhile, we got away with it, but Mike found out and we split up, therefore I obviously went back to Chester, and we went on the honeymoon we never got, and while we were in Italy, we found out I was pregnant with Brynlee.” I paused to pour another scotch, “And until she was born, we didn’t know who her father was, because I’d been with both of them. But of course that’s not all-”
“I’ve heard enough.” Angelo put his glass down on the table.
“Hey, you asked.” I shrugged.
“Well, if I’d known what I was getting into, I wouldn’t have.” he stood and went into the kitchen.
“You try being there for all of it, Angelo. Sometimes I didn’t want to take Michelle’s side, but I did because she’s my daughter and I love her. They’ve both made mistakes, but it’s all in the past now.” Dad called after him.
“I’m gonna go lie down, I’m exhausted.” I put my glass on the table and stood up.
I started into the hallway, then stopped and turned around, “Dad,”
He looked up, “Yes?”
“I know you’re all going to talk about us when I leave the room, but please, I beg of you, leave out the part involving Chauntelle.” I turned and walked into my bedroom.

I stretched out across the bed, and kicked my shoes off.
I laid there for a little while, staring at the ceiling.
I reached over my head, and grabbed my pillow, that was wrapped in Chester’s t-shirt, and rolled over onto my stomach, grabbing my phone.
The line rang and rang until it went to voicemail.
“Hey, you’ve reached Chester Bennington, leave your name and message at the beep and I’ll call you back soon. Bye.”
“Hey sweetheart. Calling to check in like I promised. I miss you guys. Call me when you get a chance. I love you, bye.” I tossed it on to the table and got up.
I grabbed my clothes and went to take a shower.

When I came back, I had a missed call and someone was knocking on my bedroom door.
I put my pajamas on, and opened the door first.
“Hi brat.” Chauntelle hugged me tightly.
“When did you get here?” I asked, turning to pick my phone up.
“Five minutes ago. Chris is in the kitchen drinking with Angelo and Derek, and Gabi is in the living room with dad.” She closed the bedroom door.
I unlocked my phone to see that I had a missed call and voicemail from Chester.
“Yeah there was too much family tension for me to hang out, so I locked myself in my room.” I sat on the bed.
“Like you always have.” She sat next to me.
“Angelo did what he does best, he got pushy and I told him what he wanted to know. What he THOUGHT he wanted to know, anyway.” I put my phone down.
“Let me guess, he asked about the baby daddy drama bullshit, didn’t he? And when you told the story, he got all squirmy and pissed off and stormed out of the room.” She said.
“Exactly. It’s like you were there.” I grabbed my water off the table.
“I didn’t have to be. I know this family, and I know how Angelo gets squirrelly at the mention of you having sex.” she said.
“Yeah, he wasn’t a fan.” I laughed.
“I’m just glad you left out the part about me.” She tucked her hair behind her ear and looked down.
“I wasn’t going to do that to you. And I politely asked dad not to mention it either after I left the room.” I told her.
“Michelle, I’m so sorry. I don’t think I ever actually apologized for doing what I did. I know Chester apologized, but I didn’t, and I really am sorry. At that time it seemed like the thing to do, and thinking back, it was the worst thing we could’ve done.” She sighed.
I put my arm around her shoulders, “Chauntelle, it’s okay. I was hurt and angry, and betrayed, but it’s over now, and I’m all right with it. I didn’t have a whole lot of room to be angry about it, but I got over it, and we’re fine now. Let it go, because we have.” I hugged her.
“One more thing, and then I’ll drop it and never bring it up again.” She looked up.
“Shoot.” I stood up and grabbed my purse, sliding the balcony door open.
“You did not lie about Chester being big. I mean, describing it is one thing, but experiencing it, wow. It was really amazing, and probably the only reason why I ever wanted him again after. Boy is definitely well endowed.” She sat next to me.
I lit a cigarette and smiled, “I know,” I blew out a cloud of smoke, “But he is mine, and though you are my sister and I love you, if you touch him again, I will cut you ear to ear, Black Dahlia style.” I gave her a look.
“Hand to God Michelle, I will never touch him again. I disrespected you once, and I hate myself for it. I won’t do that to you again.” She said.
“I can’t stop you from looking, because now that you’ve seen it, you’re not just going to forget, but you can’t touch.” I laughed.
“Looking works.” She shrugged.
“I really miss him.” I sighed.
“Have you talked to him today?” she asked.
“I called him on my way to work this morning, and we talked for a bit. I called him again before I got in the shower, but he didn’t answer. I figure Brynlee’s got him occupied. He called back, but I’ll talk to him later.” I said.
“I saw his shirt on your pillow.” she glanced over her shoulder.
“Helps me sleep.” I remarked, throwing the cigarette down.

I heard a knock on the door, “Michelle, Chauntelle?” Dad called.
“Yeah?” I called back.
“Kimberly is here, you wanna come out so I can introduce you?” he asked.
I gave Chauntelle a look while she pretended to gag.
“Yeah, we’ll be right out dad.” I called back.
“Okay.” he said.
“I don’t know about you, but I’m not thrilled to meet this gold-digger.” Chauntelle laid across the bed.
“Chaun, you don’t know that she’s a gold digger.” I rolled my eyes and changed into a green dress.
“Michelle, she’s younger than me. That’s WEIRD. I mean, I’m all for dad being happy and everything, but not with someone who was in diapers at the same time you were.” She sat up.
“Love is blind, and sometimes plain stupid, but when you know, you know. Gut feelings are typically never wrong. Dad says she’s the one, so let’s just be supportive.” I brushed my hair out.
“Sis, there are SO many differences between your relationship with your husband, and dad’s relationship with her. You can’t compare the two.” She replied.
“Love is different for everyone. Unconventional for some, but when it’s real, it’s real.” I shrugged.
“I’ll give her a chance, but already off the bat, I don’t like it.” She said.
“Well, dad didn’t like Chester at first, but he came around. Maybe we will too.” I opened the bedroom door.

“There you are. Girls, this is my girlfriend, Kimberly Ackerly. Kim, these are my two youngest daughters, Chauntelle Elizabeth, and Michelle Marie.” he beamed.
Kim was shorter than both Chaun and I, with red wavy hair and green eyes, face dotted with freckles and a huge, very obviously fake rack and smile.
I shook her hand, “It’s nice to meet you, we’re glad that dad is finally happy again.” I told her.
“Likewise. He’s told me so much about all of you, it’s great to finally meet you. I hope the age difference doesn’t bother you.” she smiled.
“Not at all, I just want dad to be happy. I personally think love knows no age, skin color, or minority.” I smiled.
“Easy for her to say, she’s married to a white man.” Angelo was half teasing, and half insulting me.
“I’ve always been open minded, or do we want to go back on that subject from earlier?” I gave him a dirty look.
He shook his head, “No. I was just saying.” He shrugged.
“Her daughter is like one fourth Japanese though.” Chauntelle shrugged.
I smiled, “Yes, that is true.” I nodded.
“Really? That’s super cool!” Kim exclaimed.
I nodded again, “Yeah, her real dad is half Japanese.”
“Her “real” dad?” Kim asked.
“We’re not going through this again.” Angelo groaned.
I smiled, “To make a long story short, I had a daughter with someone else, and my husband took her in and is raising her as his own.”
“Well that’s very sweet of him. You don’t hear of a lot of guys doing that these days.” She said.
I shrugged, “My husband is a really special guy.”
“She’d introduce you, but you might try to sleep with him.” Chauntelle muttered quietly behind me.
I peered over my shoulder and smiled at her, “No, just you dear.” I winked.
She smiled.
“Maybe next time we all get together, my husband and daughter will be here too.” I smiled at Kim.
“I’d love to meet them.” Kim nods.
I stepped aside as she began talking to Gabi, and went into the kitchen.
I was reaching for the bottle of wine when I heard my dad, “Michelle Marie.”
I looked up, “Dad, I had two glasses of scotch earlier, and I’m having a glass of wine now, relax. You know family gatherings require at least alcohol for me to make it through.” I poured the glass.
“Just not too much.” he sighed, hugging me.
“I got this, dad.” I tipped the glass to my lips.
“When’s the last time you talked to your husband?” He asked.
“This morning. I missed a call from him earlier, and I need to call him back.” I said.
“You should do that,” he took the wine from me, “Instead of this.” he dumped it out.
I smiled, “Good idea, daddy.” I hugged him.
“I’m a dad, princess. That’s what we do.” he smiled back.

-Chester-
I’d just laid Brynlee down when my phone started vibrating in my pocket.
I stepped out of the bedroom and softly closed the door before taking it out of my pocket.
“Hello?” I asked.
“Hi love.” Michelle sounded cheerful.
“Hey, what’s got you so happy?” I asked, sitting on the couch and turning on the TV.
“That I get to hear your voice.” She said.
I smiled, “How was your day?”
“Boring for the most part. Then I came home 99% of my immediate family, and got bombarded with questions by my brother, then I met my dad’s new girlfriend.” She said.
“Oh yeah? How’d THAT go?” I asked.
“Well, she’s pretty, but I don’t really see much potential.” She replied.
“Let him be happy, Michelle.” I laughed.
“I do have a confession to make though.” She said.
“What is it babe?” I asked.
“When Angelo was grilling me, and I had to recount the entire fucked up story of our life for the past year, I got overwhelmed, and I drank. Two glasses of scotch.” She sighed.
“Oh baby.” I whispered.
“So I guess that means we’re both off the wagon now.” She replied.
“We’ll be okay. I know that you like to go whole hog when you fuck up, but not this time. This time we’re going to keep the screw-ups to a minimum. We’ll get through this, I promise.” I told her.
“Thank you Chester, for not giving up on me.” She whispered.
“I would never. I love you, and you’ve never given up on me. Not really, anyway. Besides, I’m your husband, that’s what I do.” I said.
“Shut up, you’re making me miss you more, and this is hard enough as it is.” She giggled.
“I miss you too, baby girl. Just three more days.” I said.
“Where’s Brynlee?” She asked.
“Napping. She got worn out from our trip to the beach.” I said.
“Did she have fun?” Michelle asked.
“Tons. She loved the water. Actually screamed when I took her out. Then we played in the sand, threw potato chips to the seagulls, and she chased a crab.”
“Sounds like a fun trip. Did Mike and Kayla go with you guys?” She asked.
“Yeah. They had fun too.” I said.
“Good. You all needed to get out and do something.” She said.
“So do you. Why don’t you go out and have some fun while you’re in Chicago? All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, remember?” I asked.
“I’m anything but dull, and you know it. Besides, there’s not much you can do in this city for fun that doesn’t involve alcohol, and won’t lead to snorting xanax off a gas station bathroom sink.” She replied.
“Ah, brings back the warm fuzzy memories of adolescence, doesn’t it?” I laughed.
“All too well.” She joined the laughter.
“Go out with your sisters. Be Chauntelle’s wing-woman and help her find a boyfriend.” I suggested.
“Because I’d be super helpful drinking Shirley Temples and virgin pina coladas.” She replied.
“Please, nothing virgin has been inside of you since YOU were a virgin.” I teased.
“Not true, but that’s another story. And anyway, Chauntelle said she has a boyfriend. She told me last week, that she’s been seeing this guy she met at the coffee shop three months ago.” She said.
“Well good for her. But you still need to have some fun, babe.” I told her.
“No, not in Chicago. This city almost killed me, and I’m not walking right back into that misery again. I’ll have my fun when I come home to my family.” She said.
“Then we’ll do it big when you get home, baby.” I said.
“I love you.” She whispered.
“I love you, too, Michelle.”