‹ Prequel: Breaking the Habit
Status: Active!

Battle Symphony

There's Truth In Your Lies

-Chester-
Michelle and I sat at the table, eating quietly.
“So Chester, Michelle tells me you two are trying to have a baby.” Kayla said.
“Yeah, we are. We want Brynn to have a sibling kind of close in age.” I said, stabbing a piece of broccoli with my fork.
“Well that’s good.” Mike nodded, not looking up.
“Just be careful. Don’t bite off more than you can chew. The two of you have had a lot going on.” Kayla said.
“We’ll be fine Kayla. I think by now I’ve got a pretty good handle on Michelle.” I smiled at her.
Michelle smiled back, but I could see that it was forced.
I could see that she had a million things running through her mind, and that she didn’t want to talk.
“Are you two ready to go back on tour?” Kayla asked.
I looked back down at my plate, “It’s been awhile, and a lot has happened, so I think we’ll have to get back into the swing of things, but I’m looking forward to it.” I said.
Michelle had gone from eating, to pushing her food around her plate, but now she’d stopped altogether.
“I’m gonna be homesick, that’s for sure.” I said, reaching down to squeeze her hand.
She didn’t look up.
“Us girls can hold down the fort without you. We’ll watch each other’s backs.” Kayla said.
“You can’t really give Michelle the kind of supervision she needs, Kk. Not while seven months pregnant.” Mike glanced at me, then back down at his plate.
“I don’t have to be babysat 24 hours a day.” Michelle muttered.
“Not really babysat, but supervised. You’re technically not mentally stable to be left alone, especially with Brynlee.” I said.
“I can take care of myself and my daughter, thank you. I just had a backslide. I’m back now, and I’m fine.” She said.
“Babe, you tried to kill yourself. I’m not even supposed to leave YOU by yourself, much less leave our daughter with you.” I explained.
“What do you even care, Chester? She’s not REALLY your daughter, remember?” She stormed out the front door.
Silence fell, and I sighed.
“I’ll be right back.”

I walked out the front door, and she was sitting back in the same chair, knees hugged to her chest crying.
“What in the hell was that?” I asked, calmly.
“I am not a child, Chester.” She sniffled.
“When you hurt yourself like you did, you have to be treated like one.” I shrugged, sitting next to her.
“So what are you going to do, hire someone to watch my every move until you come home?” She asked.
I shook my head, “That won’t work. I know you, and you’ll sneak away, plus you’ll resent me even more than you already do for not trusting you. I’m taking you with me.” I said.
She looked up, “Babe, our daughter is six months old, we can’t take her on tour.” She said.
“We’re not. I talked to your family about it, and Chauntelle offered to keep her, because she agrees that leaving you alone is not an option. I hadn’t worked out all the details yet, that’s why I haven’t told you.” I said.
She wiped her eyes, “But we’ll be gone almost a whole year.”
“It’s the price we pay, babe.” I shrugged.
“We’re going to end up killing each other.” She said.
“What makes you say that?” I asked.
“Because, that’s not really the best plan either. On tour is where it’s easiest to find drugs and booze, and all the time we’ll have alone together? We’ll be lucky if we don’t fuck each other to death.” she let her feet down, and smoothed her dress down.
I laughed, “You need a vacation though. We both do. We haven’t really had one since Italy, which we had to cut short because you found out you were pregnant. We can have fun and stay sober” I told her, patting her leg.
“Can we?” She gave me a skeptical look.
“If Motley Crue can do it, so can we.” I shrugged.
She just smiled, and it warmed my heart, as I hadn’t seen a sincere smile from her in nearly three days.
“If you think it can be done, then who am I to argue?” She shrugged.
“Exactly, let’s go finish our dinner.” I stood and offered her my hand.
She took it, standing up, and followed me back in the house.

“Sorry guys, I just lost it for a second. I’m all right now.” She apologized, sitting at the table.
“So long as you’re okay.” Mike smiled at her.
“I’m fine. As fine as I can be, for being me, anyway.” Michelle answered.
“So, how’s your face?” Kayla spoke quickly, taking their attention off of each other.
“My ear and lip are sore, but for the most part the pain’s subsided. They couldn’t give me anything for pain, which is fine, because I didn’t need it anyway.” Michelle sipped her water.
“And obviously, it’s dangerous to leave bottles of pain pills in your reach.” Kayla said.
“Exactly.” Michelle glanced over at Brynlee, still sleeping.
“Man if you ever get an actual injury that requires painkillers, you’re screwed.” Kayla said.
“Very true.” She looked down at her plate.
“Have you heard from your family, Chester?” Mike asked.
I shook my head, “No, not since Brynn was born. I’ve tried reaching out to my brother and sister, but Peter won’t talk to me, he’s ashamed of me for what I did.” I shrugged, sipping my water.
“He’ll forgive you, babe.” Michelle reached and squeezed my hand.
“Coming from the girl whose brother knocked the fire out of her for cheating on him.” Kayla’s tone grew more bitter with every sarcastic comment she made.
“His issue with me is way more than that, Kayla. Stems way back to my teenage years.” Michelle replied coolly.
“You haven’t talked to your dad, or Christy?” Mike asked.
“He hasn’t. Christy and I email back and forth, sometimes we talk on the phone. Peter too. He’s still upset, but Christy and I think he’ll come around in time.” Michelle said.
“Well, it’s good that they keep in touch with one of you.” Mike said.
“If I can’t have a relationship with my siblings, maybe we can have a relationship with his.” Michelle said.
“He’s got a relationship with your siblings, at least with your sister.”
“KAYLA IRENE.” Mike snapped.
“Not anymore, Kayla. We’re keeping this marriage between the two of us, like we’re supposed to.” I answered.
“Funny how you decided to do this AFTER you both fucked other people.” Kayla said.
Mike dropped his fork, with a heavy sigh.
“Let’s just go.” Michelle threw her napkin on the table, and picked up the car seat.
“Michelle, wait.” Mike got up from the table and went after her.
I dropped my fork and sighed.
Kayla looked at me, “Well, aren’t you gonna go after them?”
I said nothing, just threw my napkin on my plate and got up from the table.
I walked toward the front door, stopping when I heard low, muffled voices.
I could see the outline of two silhouettes standing on the porch.
“She was fine when we got here.”
“She’s just got a little bit of bad blood from what happened, she didn’t mean any of it.”
They were standing close, and I walked around to the living room window, peering through the curtains.
“If this is how it’s going to be every time she’s around me, then we’ll just stop coming around. What’s she going to do when she finds out that I’m going on tour with you guys? She’s going to freak out, and assume shit.”
“Michelle, she’s going to have to get it through her thick head, we’re over. You and I will never be again.” He put his hand on her face, “Leave Kayla to me, you don’t worry about it.”
“Mike, what did you do after you walked in on Chester and I on the couch this morning?”
“Nothing, why?”
“Don’t lie. What did you do?” She whispered, looking up at him.
“Nothing. She assumes I did something, but she’s just paranoid.”
“Did you-”
“No, Michelle.” he cut her off before she could finish.
“You did, didn’t you? You wouldn’t be so defensive if you weren’t trying to hide it.” she said.
He sighed, “Truth be known, it was the most action I’d had in seven months.” Mike admitted, sheepishly.
“It doesn’t matter. She knows, and she’s upset about it. She wouldn’t have told me, if she wasn’t.”
“She just worries too much.”
“She’s the mother of your two children. Have some fucking respect for her, Mike.” Michelle replied sharply.
“So are you.”
I clenched my jaw, fighting anger.
“We don’t talk about that.” Michelle looked down.
“Obviously we need to. You are not in any state to be having another child right now. You’re a mess, Michelle. Don’t do this to keep him happy, think about your own well-being.” he told her.
“I’m doing this because I want it, not to make anyone else happy. Did you ever stop to think that maybe I wanted a child that I don’t have to lie to? That I won’t owe an explanation to? I want to do right by my husband, and my kids. I’m already going to have a hard time explaining to Brynlee why she looks nothing like her dad.” She crossed her arms.
“I’m not saying you shouldn’t have kids with him, all I am saying is not now. Not when you’re still trying to sort through a lot of shit yourself. But YOU made the choice to sleep with both of us, you chose to put yourself and Brynlee in this situation. Don’t blame me. I was happy, content because you were mine, but YOU weren’t. You had to have both of us. That’s not her fault, nor is it mine.” He spoke sharply.
“Must we go through all of my mistakes? I know what I did, and I am living with it. But I’m living my life how I want to live it. I’m with who I want to be with. You’re just upset because I didn’t choose you.” She said.
He opened his mouth to speak, but instead, he grabbed her by the waist and pulled her in, kissing her.
She pushed him away, “No!” She turned and flung the door open, “Chester, LET’S GO!”
I walked around the corner, “Come on, babe.” I picked Brynlee up and walked behind her to the car.
She wouldn’t say a word the whole way home.
“You okay?” I asked, putting my hand on her leg.
“I’m fine.” she whispered, wiping her eyes.
“What happened out there?” I asked.
“You were somewhere close by. You know what he did.” She looked up at me.
“And how do you know that?” I asked.
“Because you won’t leave me alone with him.”
“I was at the table with Kayla. I didn’t see anything.” I said.
“Well he doesn’t think we should have a baby yet.” She said.
“Is that why you were so upset?” I asked.
“Yes. I just wish people would stop butting into our business.” She said.
I knew she didn’t want to tell me about the kiss, because she thought I’d get angry.
“Why don’t we just stay in for awhile? Just the three of us, until we leave for tour. No visitors, just quality time with each other.” I said.
“That sounds lovely.” She smiled.
I wasn’t going to press her about the kiss, because I knew it had upset her.
What bothered me, was that I didn’t know WHY it upset her.
I didn’t know if it was because she didn’t want it, or because she did, but she was fighting it because of me.
“I need a drink.” She sighed, rubbing her temples.
“Normally, I’d say not happening, but I can see that you are having a rough night, so I’ll allow one. For nerves.” I squeezed her hand.
“Have one with me?” She looked over at me.
“One can’t hurt.” I shrugged.

One drink didn’t hurt, but the eight or ten after did.
We ended up fucking on the kitchen counter, and knocking the table over, breaking dishes, and knocking a hole in the wall, all while Brynlee slept in the bedroom.
“Help me up.” She reached for my hand.
I pulled her to her feet, both of us stumbling.
She pulled me into a kiss, shoving me against the refrigerator, “Fuck me again.” She pleaded.
“Let me get another drink, first.” I told her.
“Make me one too.” She sat on the lone standing chair in the kitchen.
I poured two glasses and handed her one, downing my own.

The next thing I knew, I was waking up on the couch alone, wearing nothing and covered with a thin blanket.
“Michelle?” I ignored the pounding in my head.
I looked around for her.
“Babe??” I sat up.
“What?” Her voice came from the bathroom.
“Where are you?” I wrapped the blanket around my waist and walked toward her voice.
“I’m in the bedroom, getting dressed.”
I pushed the door open, and Brynlee was sitting up on the bed with her teddy bear, and a bottle of milk.
“Dada.” She smiled when she saw me.
“Hi sweetheart.” I smiled back.
Michelle came out of the bathroom, “Hey.” She kissed me.
“We still have ibuprofen in the medicine cabinet?” I asked.
“Way ahead of you.” She dropped four pills in my hand and handed me a glass of water.
“We went overboard last night.” I said.
“You think?” She gave me a look.
I noticed bruises on her back and legs.
“Apparently more so than we thought.” I laid on the bed next to Brynlee.
She glanced in the mirror, “They’re not as bad as they look. I’m fine.”
“Guess we can’t just have one drink, can we?” I asked.
“Obviously not.” She changed her shirt and laid back on the bed with us.
Silence fell, the sound of Brynlee sucking her bottle was all we heard until Michelle spoke, “I have to tell you something.”
My stomach dropped, but I propped my head on my hand, “What is it babe?”
She took a deep breath and reached for my hand, “Chester, I’m pregnant.”
“Huh?” That wasn’t what I was expecting her to say.
She chuckled, “Yeah, I know.”
“How do you know? Do you know for sure?” I asked.
“Well, I realized yesterday that I was late, and this morning I woke up sick at my stomach, so I found a pregnancy test, and took it.” She got up and went to the bathroom, returning with the test in hand, giving it to me, “And it’s positive, so..”
I looked at the positive test, “Wow.” Was all I could say.
“And this one is yours.” She laid back down next to Brynlee.
“I know that, baby.” I kissed her.
“We tell NO ONE about last night. Especially now.” She said.
“I won’t, I promise.” I said.
“Brynlee, you’re going to be a big sister!” She smiled at Brynlee, who clapped.
“Guess we need to pick out names.” Michelle said.
“We will, love.” I kissed her.
I put my hand on her stomach, “We’re gonna have a baby.” I smiled.
“Your baby.” She smiled back.
“Mama!” Brynlee sat up and laid her head on Michelle’s stomach.
“Your brother or sister is in there.” I told her.
She looked down, curiously.
“Brynn, can you say baby?” Michelle asked.
“Bah.” She replied.
“Baby.” Michelle repeats.
“Bah bah.” Brynlee smiled.
“Close enough.” She kissed her all over her face.

Someone knocked on the front door.
“I’ll get it.” Michelle got up off the bed.
“Hey.” I heard Mike’s voice.
“What do you want?” Michelle’s was cold and uninviting.
“To apologize for last night. I don’t know what I was thinking, it just happened.” he explained.
“Mike, get out of here.” She said.
“Does Chester know?” he whispered.
“No, I didn’t feel like having that fight last night.” Michelle replied.
“Are you going to tell him?” he asked.
With that, I picked up the baby and walked down the hall, “Tell me what?” I asked.
Michelle looked over her shoulder, “Mike kissed me last night on his porch. Right before we left. He kissed me and I pushed him away.” She said.
“Is that so?” I looked at Mike.
“Chester, like I said, I don’t know what I was thinking, and I shouldn’t have done it.” He explained.
“You’re right, you shouldn’t. But you did.” I said.
“Now if you don’t leave, I’ll tell him what else you did, yesterday.” Michelle started to close the door.
“NO, DON’T!” He begged.
“Then get out of here, Mike.” She slammed the door in his face and walked past me, silently.
“What did he do?” I asked, knowing damn well she wouldn’t have said anything in front of me unless she was planning on telling me.
“After he walked in on you and I on the couch yesterday, he went home, and Kayla said he went in the bathroom and jerked off. He tried to deny it when I confronted him, but he ended up confessing to it.” She bent down to pick up the table, but I stopped her, “Don’t lift that, I’ll do it, take her.” I handed her the baby.
“So he is still sexually attracted to you.” I picked up the pieces of chair off the floor.
“Yes, obviously. But he knows damn well that there’s nothing he can do about it.” She said.
“What’s he going to do when he finds out you’re already pregnant? After last night’s little display, I doubt he’ll be happy about it.” I said.
“There’s nothing he or anyone else can do about it. We wanted this, and it’s happening.” She switched the baby to her other hip.
“Well, apparently it happened before we agreed to have another baby, because that’s just been a week ago.” I said.
“It was meant to happen.” Michelle put Brynn in her high chair and started sweeping the floor.
I looked up, “Don’t take this the wrong way babe, but are you 100% sure the baby is mine?” I asked.
Anger glinted in her eyes, and she looked like she might hit me with the broom,
“Of course it is. I haven’t been with anyone else since I got pregnant with Brynlee.” She said sharply.
“I have to make sure.” I said.
She slammed the cabinet door, making Brynlee and I both jump, “Of course, because I like to lie and hide things from you.” She smarted off.
“I’m not saying you have, I just asked. Given your track record, it can’t hurt, at least.” I said.
“If I wanted Mike, I could’ve had him, many times over the past year, and you never would’ve known any better.” She was putting cups in the cabinet.
“And who’s to say you didn’t?” I asked, handing Brynlee a handful of snacks.
“Me. Because I didn’t want him. If I did, I would’ve kissed him back last night. The sooner you start appreciating my self control, the better off we’ll all be.” She slammed the cabinet again.
“Stop slamming shit.” I gave her a warning look.
“It’s your baby, Chester. You’d better get on board with it, because it’s coming.” She turned and walked out of the room.
“I never said I wasn’t on board with it, I’m just-” I stopped myself from saying what I wanted to say, because I didn’t want to start a fight with her.
Brynlee was looking up at me with big brown eyes, while munching on her snacks,
I sighed, “Michelle, come back here.”
She peered around the doorway, “What could you possibly want to say now?” She glared.
“I’m happy that we’re having a baby. But I know that he wants you so badly he can’t stand it, and it scares me to think that he might could convince you to sleep with him again.”
“I’m stronger than that, if I don’t want it, I won’t do it, and after he saw what I did to Angelo, I seriously doubt he’d try to force himself on me.” She leaned against the doorway, arms crossed over her chest.
“If he did that, I’d fucking kill him myself.” I turned to look at her.
She started to reply, but was interrupted by the doorbell.
“This time, I’ll get it.” I walked past her into the hallway.
I opened the front door, “Now is really not a good time, Chauntelle.” I sighed.
“It’s the perfect time. Mike called me and told me what happened yesterday, and I had to come make sure that you two hadn’t killed each other.” She pushed past me.
“We’re fine, thanks.” I closed the door.
“Where’s Michelle?” She asked.
“I’m in the kitchen.” Michelle called.
Chauntelle hugged her, “You should’ve knocked the shit out of him like you did Angelo.” She said.
“I just wanted to get out of there, away from him and Kayla.” Michelle said.
“I should go over there and smack him.” Chauntelle turned to pull out a chair, “Where the hell are all the chairs?” she asked.
Michelle looked at me.
“We were going to re-arrange, they’re in the backyard.” I lied.
“Well, he told me what Kayla said to you too, how she upset you.” Chauntelle hopped up on the counter.
“I’m not worried about it, Chaun.” Michelle said.
“I am, and I’m surprised this one hasn’t killed him.” she nodded at me.
“I wanted to, but I know that won’t help things.” I said.
“It’ll make you both feel better.” Chauntelle shrugged.
“Why don’t we tell her, babe?” Michelle asked, looking up at me.
I shrugged, “It’s up to you babe. If you want to tell her.” I said, kissing the top of her head.
“Oh god, you’re getting divorced.” Chauntelle’s face was terrified.
“Chauntelle, don’t guess.” Michelle shakes her head.
“Well then, what is it?” She asked.
“I’m pregnant.” Michelle said.
Her jaw fell open, and she stared at her.
“What??” she asked.
“I said I’m pregnant, Chaun.” Michelle shrugged.
“Is it Chester’s?” I think she said it before she could really think about it first.
“Yes, it’s Chester’s.” Michelle snapped, coldly.
“Okay, sorry.” She withdrew from her.
“We’d decided we wanted to start trying for another baby a week ago, but it was already done. I took the test this morning.” Michelle said.
“You obviously weren’t trying hard enough NOT to get her pregnant.” She looked at me.
“Chauntelle, don’t go there.” I rolled my eyes.
“He was good enough for you to fuck.” Michelle shrugged.
“MICHELLE, don’t fucking go there!” I shouted.
She shrugged, “I’m not wrong.” She said.
“Jesus, can’t we just let it go?” I asked.
“I’ll let it go when you do.” Michelle stood up.
“She didn’t kiss me last night, who kissed their fuck buddy last night?” I asked.
“He kissed ME, I didn’t kiss back.” She replied.
“Okay everyone fucking drop it.” Chauntelle sighed.
“I’m going to go, can I trust you two alone together?” She asked.
“We’re fine, Chauntelle.” Michelle said.
Chauntelle turned around, and without warning, kissed me hard, on the mouth.
“Hey!” I pushed her away.
She looked at Michelle, “There, asshole. Now you two are even.” And she walked out.
Michelle looked at me, aghast, “Did you enjoy that?”
“No! I pushed her away, you saw it.” I said, wiping my mouth.
“I did.” She stood up, and pushed me against the kitchen counter, “But she can’t have you, because you’re mine.” She kissed me.
“Babe, the baby is here.” I breathed.
“It’s time for her nap anyway.” She replied, stepping back.
“You girls, I fucking swear.” I shook my head.
“Hey, blame yourself. You tapped this, and that. And you’re not exactly the type of man to just fuck once. You make the girls come back for more. Or you used to, before me.” She went down the hall to lay the baby down.
I followed her, “She only did it once.” I said.
“If you’d let her, she’d do it again, believe me.” She put Brynlee’s teddy bear next to her and covered her up.
“Same with Mike. If you’d let HIM, he’d do it again.” I crossed my arms.
“But I won’t, and neither will you.” she turned off the light and pushed me out the door, closing it behind her.
I turned around and kissed her, “But you’ll let me, won’t you?”
She smiled against my lips, “Anytime, any place.” she whispered.
“Here and now?” I asked.
She pulled my shirt off, “Why not? Just take it easy, we were rough enough last night, and we don’t want to hurt the baby.”
“I won’t hurt either of you.” I unbuttoned her shorts.

-Chauntelle-
“Dad.” I said.
I was driving down the freeway toward home, my phone balanced on my shoulder.
“Yes Chaun, I’m here.” He said.
“You are not going to fucking believe this.” I said.
He sighed, “What the hell did your sister do now?” He asked.
“She’s pregnant again, dad.” I said.
“And that’s bad? They wanted to have another baby.” He said.
“Dad, Michelle is not in any mental state to have another child right now. Plus they’re leaving in two weeks, and I don’t know if I trust Chester to keep her straight.” I said.
“He can keep her straight. She is the one who can’t seem to keep herself straight. They’ll be fine.” Dad said.
“I don’t think this is a good idea. I don’t think her going with him is a good idea. He can’t watch her all the time, and Mike, he’s trying to move in on her again, he fucking kissed her last night! On his front porch, with Kayla and Chester inside the house!” I exclaimed.
“He did what?? Did she kiss back?” Dad asked.
“She says she pushed him away. But I don’t know if it was because she didn’t want the kiss, or because Chester was nearby.” I said.
“Look, I’ll call your sister and talk to her, okay? In the meantime, just stop worrying about her.” Dad said.
“I’m worried about Chester and the kids.” I said.
“Well don’t. Your sister isn’t as crazy as you all think she is.” He told me.
“Dad, I didn’t say Michelle was crazy. I’m saying she’s unstable. She tried to kill herself three days ago.”
“Chauntelle let me handle it.” He snapped.

-Michelle-
I climbed out of bed and threw my clothes on, walking down the hall to the living room where my phone was ringing.
“Hello?” I asked.
“Mickey,” it was my dad.
“Hey dad. What’s up?” I flopped onto the couch and turned on the TV.
“Your sister just called me, hysterical.” He continued.
“Is Chauntelle ever anything BUT hysterical?” I asked.
“She said apparently you’re pregnant.” He said.
“Leave it to her to ruin the good news, but yes. And we’re very excited about it.” I replied, flipping through channels.
“I know you are, and you should be. But she’s concerned that you’re not mentally stable enough to have a baby right now, and she’s freaking out about you leaving in two weeks.” He said.
“She can stow the false concern, I’m gonna be fine and so is my baby.” I told him.
“Chaun thinks you’re going to get into trouble while you’re gone, she said she doesn’t trust Chester to keep a good eye on you.”
“I don’t need to be babysat like a child, I’m not a looney. I fucked up, but it’s over now.” I said.
“I’m not agreeing with her. I wanted to hear it from you.” He said.
“Dad, I’m fine. I’m not crazy, I’m not going to cheat on my husband, drink or do drugs, okay?”
“Okay, Mickey. Where is your husband?”
“He’s asleep in the bedroom. Brynn too.” I said.
“How does he feel about having another baby?” He asked.
“He’s excited as you might imagine, because he’s finally going to have a kid that’s ACTUALLY his.” I replied.
“He loves Brynlee like his own and you know it.” He said.
“Oh no doubt. I’m just saying, there’s no lies and secrets this time. It’s his, 100% without a doubt.” I said.
“Well you two just be careful on the road, and take care of each other and that baby.” Dad said.
“You know we will, Dad.” I replied.
“Also, she told me about Mike kissing you last night.”
“I pushed him away Dad, I didn’t kiss back. Did she tell you she kissed Chester right in front of me?” I asked.
He sighed, “Of course not.”
“Yeah. He pushed her away so quick. She said now he and I were even.” I rolled my eyes.
“You girls are going to be the death of me, I swear.” He chuckled.
I heard the bedroom door open, and footsteps.
“My man is awake.” I smiled.
“Well, I’ll let you go. Keep me updated on the baby and you two take care. I love you Michelle.”
“We will. I love you too, dad.” I hung up.
“Hey babe.” I called.
“Hi.” He was in the kitchen.
“What are you doing?” I asked.
“Looking for food. I’m starving.”
“Me too, want me to cook?” I asked.
“I don’t think we’ve got anything to cook.” He replied.
“Guess the staying in plan is ruined. We gotta make a grocery trip.” I said.
“Yeah.”
I walked into the kitchen, “So my dad knows about the baby.” I said, hopping up on the counter.
He gave me a funny look, then remembered, “Oh! THAT baby.” He laughed.
“Yes, this one.” I patted my stomach.
“The baby that needs a name.” He hugged me.
I laid my head on his shoulder and sighed contentedly.
“We don’t even know what it is yet, Chester.” I said.
“Still, it’s gonna have to have a name.” He kissed the back of my head.
“Okay, we can talk about it over dinner. I’m going to get Brynlee up.” I jumped down off the counter and kissed him.

I picked Brynlee up, and kissed her cheek, “Brynnie.” I whispered, petting her hair.
Her eyelids fluttered open, and she smiled, “Mama.”
“Hi princess. We gotta get you changed, we gotta go to the store.” I laid her on the bed and changed her diaper and clothes.
“Baba.” She sat up and touched my stomach.
“Yes baby girl, there’s a baby in mommy’s tummy.” I picked her up.
She smacked her lips and looked up at me.
“Yes you can have some milk, baby.” I kissed her nose.
I walked into the kitchen, just in time to see Chester then the bottle of tequila upside down and finish it.
“What happened to “If you drink again, we’re done” Chester?” I asked, putting the baby in her car seat.
“I said that to you, nothing was said about me.” He threw the bottle in the trash.
I rolled my eyes, and handed Brynlee a bottle.
“How about we make the rule for both of us.” I went into the laundry room, and started switching clothes.
“What good is that going to do for you? You can’t drink now, anyway.”
“Exactly. Which is why you shouldn’t.” I was starting to see why my sister didn’t trust him to look after us.
“Babe, I know when to stop, I’m not that person anymore.”
“Spoken like a true alcoholic.” I slammed the dryer shut and turned it on.
“Save the twelve step bullshit, I’m no alcoholic.” He said.
“Just put the shit down.” I grabbed my shirt off the hanger and changed.
“You first.” he grabbed another bottle and walked toward the bedroom.
I was pulling my jeans up when someone knocked on the door.
“Don’t people sleep in, anymore?” I zipped my hoodie up and went to answer the door.
“Hey.” It was Kayla.
“God, I don’t need this today. What is it?” I crossed my arms.
“I feel like I should apologize for what I said to you the other night.” She started.
“No one has asked you to apologize, Kayla.” I turned to check on Brynlee.
“I still feel like I owe you one.” She said.
I heard glass breaking, and a loud thud in the bedroom, and rolled my eyes, “Go on.”
“What was that?” She looked back at me.
“I’m sure he’s fine.” I bent over and handed Brynlee her rattle.
“You gonna check?” She asked.
“He’s drinking again. I’m dealing with it. Say what you came here to say.” I told her.
“Uh, okay. I’m sorry for what I said, Michelle. I’m just going through a lot of different emotions right now, and I didn’t mean to unload on you.” She said.
THUD.
“Fuck!”
I sighed, “It’s fine, Kayla. I’ve learned not to take things too personally.” I said.
“When did he start drinking again?” She asked.
“Today? Yesterday? I don’t know anymore. Chester, let’s GO!” I called, picking the carseat up.
He walked into the living room, his hand wrapped in a towel, “Five minutes babe, I promise.” he grabbed something and went back to the bedroom, closing the door.
I sighed, putting Brynlee down.
“You came all the way over here alone, to apologize?” I asked.
“Well, no. Mike is in the car, but he didn’t want to come in.” She said.
“He knows he’s not welcome.” I unstrapped Brynlee and picked her up.
“Why isn’t he?” She asked.
I gave her a look, “Why don’t you ask him? Excuse me, I have to check on my husband.” I turned and walked down the hall.
I opened the door, set Brynlee in her crib, and closed it, going into the bathroom.
He was tying a strip of fabric around his wrist, the wide gash on the palm of his hand gushing blood.
I turned on the faucet, “What the hell did you do?” I asked, watching the water wash the blood away.
“Dropped the bottle, bent over to pick it up and fell forward, cutting my hand on the glass.” he said.
“Hold that, let me get the alcohol and superglue.” I left the bathroom and went into the kitchen, grabbing the superglue out of the cabinet and the bottle of vodka off the shelf.
The front door opened, “Michelle?” Mike’s voice echoed.
“I’m busy, and you have no reason to be here.” I said, going back to the bedroom, shutting the door.
“Let go of the towel.” I ran water over his hand again, before drying it and dumping a little vodka on it.
Chester winced and grunted, pressing his forehead against the counter.
“It’s not even that bad, you big baby.” I rolled my eyes.
I wiped the cut off with the towel, and then I put superglue on both edges of the gash before pushing them together and holding it, until the glue cured.
I wrapped his hand in a clean piece of fabric, and covered it with a wrap.
“Now, go sit down while I clean up the glass.” I told him.
I opened the bedroom door and Mike was standing in the living room.
“Everything okay?” He asked.
“Everything is fine, why are you still here?” I asked.
“Kayla said Chester’s drinking again. I wanted to make sure you and Brynn were okay.” he said.
“Brynlee and I are fine, Chester’s fine. Thanks for the concern, but please leave.” I said.
“Michelle, I also wanted to explain myself. What happened last night, I wasn’t thinking straight. I know I shouldn’t have done it and i know it. I still love you, even though I shouldn’t, but that was still uncalled for.” he said.
“What was? Oh are you talking about how you kissed my wife? My PREGNANT wife? Yeah, total dick move, asshole.” Chester was drunk now, stumbling down the hall.
I closed my eyes, and looked down, sighing.
“Wait, you’re pregnant??” Mike asked.
I opened my eyes and looked over at Chester, holding himself up on the doorjamb, “Not how I wanted to break the news, but yeah. I am.” I said.
“What? When? How long have you known?” he asked.
“Since this morning. I don’t know how far along yet.” I said.
“You can’t have his kid.” Mike looked at me.
I scoffed, “Why the hell not? I had yours.” I pushed him away.
“He’s drunk right now. And you’re not right in the head yourself.” he said.
“So, you fuck me a few times and you think you can tell me how to live my life? I can have his child, and I am. He is my HUSBAND.” I said.
“You want a child you don’t have to lie to? Then don’t have his. Because as long as he’s a drooling alcoholic, you’ll be lying for him everywhere you turn, to both of them. You life will end up being nothing more than having babies, raising kids and making up stories to explain why their father is always absent, why he’s always falling, always angry. Is that what you really want?”
“He’s not a drooling alcoholic. This isn’t an every day thing for him. He’s not going to do this forever.” I said, uncrossing my arms.
He started to say something, but stopped, closing his mouth.
He stepped back, turned, and punched Chester in the face, knocking him out cold, before turning back to me, and pulling me into another kiss.
I pushed him away, “You’re crazy, get out!” I screamed, kneeling down to Chester.
“Babe??” I shook him.
He groaned and grabbed his head.
Mike stood his ground.
“Please leave, before I call the police. Ever since you came to Chicago, you’ve been acting like a moron, and I’ve had enough of it.” I pulled Chester into my lap.
“Because I am sick of trying to fight this. I don’t want to deny how I feel about you anymore, I’m in love with you, and seeing you put up with this,” he motioned to Chester, “Is killing me.” he said.
“I chose him, it’s not putting up with him, it’s taking care of him, because I love him, now leave!” I yelled.
He looked hurt, but retreated, closing the door behind him.
“Hey, are you okay?” I asked, kissing Chester’s forehead.
“I’m fine. I’m proud of you.” he whispered, touching my face.
“I told you I was done fucking up, and I meant it.” I sniffled.
“I love you.” he whispered.
“I love you, too.” I replied.
“Get the baby, I’m okay.” he pointed.
I put a pillow under his head and went to the bedroom to get Brynlee, who was crying.
“Hey baby girl, it’s okay.” I kissed her hair softly, bouncing her.
I went back to the living room, sitting next to Chester in the floor.
“Hi sweet girl.” he took Brynn’s hand.
“Dada.” she smiled.
“That’s right baby.” He nodded.
“God, you’re going to have a knot on your face.” I dabbed the bleeding bump with the damp washcloth.
He flinched, “I’m fine babe. I’ve had worse, and lived.” he sat up.
“Are you sure? He decked you pretty good.” I said.
Chester smiled and pulled me into a kiss, “Please, YOU hit harder than he does.” he whispered against my lips.
“Don’t do this right now. We still need to go to the store, and we’ve already done it like three times today.” I said.
“What’s another time? You’re already pregnant, what could happen?” he pinned me to the floor, kissing me.
“Babe, Brynlee is right there.” I told him.
He let me up, “You’re right. Later.” he helped me up, picking the baby up.
“Grocery store. Now.” I put the baby in her carseat and followed Chester out the door.