Flyvy

Twenty-Seven.

Benedict’s funeral had been less than a week after Sheldon was arrested. He had been alive, but only just. After he’d been patched up the Radcliffes paid good money to have him placed in a mental institution rather than prison; which hadn’t surprised Flynn in the least. They had used Sheldon’s share of the inheritance to do it.

The will had been read in Benedict’s office before they performed last rites at his death bed. Flynn had nearly fallen off his chair when the lawyer said Benedict had left him a ship, and a small sum of money.

“A ship?” he repeated. “Are you sure?”

The lawyer eyed him like he was a simpleton. “It states quite plainly that you are to acquire full ownership of the Wavedancer.

“I...okay.” He expected Cordelia to protest but he was in for another shock when she muttered, “I hope you get more use out of the damn thing than he ever did.”

She actually cried when Benedict was pronounced dead. Flynn had never seen a Radcliffe cry before. The funeral felt bleak even for a funeral, considering what had happened with Sheldon. His head still hurt a little bit when he thought about it. Sheldon was the only one of his siblings who’d ever been nice to him.

Violetta had remained immobile next to the grave site as everyone else walked away. Flynn paused, watching her. She was clearly trying to hide it but he saw her shoulders shake. Sighing, he walked up next to her. She glanced at him warily, hiccuping slightly as she tried to hide that she was crying. She probably expected him to gloat or say something mean, but instead he just put an arm around her shoulders. She looked astonished but after a moment she just broke down and sobbed into her hands. Flynn stood there with her until she cried herself out.

They didn’t speak as they left the cemetery but as she went to climb into her carriage she called his name. Flynn turned to look at her.

“I...I’m sorry.”

Flynn figured it took every ounce of her willpower to say the words. Radcliffes were genetically designed to never apologize. He nodded.

“Take care of yourself, Vi.”

She climbed into the carriage and Flynn walked back to Harvey’s, to pack up his things and say goodbye. He didn’t expect to see Ivy, but he supposed she felt obligated to come say goodbye after what they went through. He has resigned himself to never seeing her again. Penny smacked him, hard, in the shoulder after Ivy left.

“Ow! What was that for?”

“You’re letting her go?”

“What else am I supposed to do?”

“Go after her, sweep her off her feet, tell her you love her. Something along those lines.”

Flynn scowled. “It’s no use, Penny. If she had a crush on me before, she doesn’t now.”

“You’re right. She doesn’t have a crush on you, Flynn. You love each other.” She shook her head. “Why are the pretty ones always so dumb?” She hugged him and kissed his cheek. “Good luck, Flynn.”

“Thanks for all your help. Harvey, don’t let her get away. You’re a lucky man.”

“She never lets me forget it,” Harvey grumbled. Flynn laughed as Penny rolled her eyes.

“Just promise to wait till I’m visiting before you have the wedding,” Flynn said. “I better be the best man.”

Harvey gave him a one armed hug and playfully shoved him toward the door. “Go home and live your dream. And give your mother a kiss from me.”

Now Flynn was home, standing on the dock and looking up at his ship. For all his faults, Benedict had remembered Flynn saying he wanted his own ship to make a life for himself and had given him the opportunity to do it. Flynn would always be thankful for that at least. Laura came up beside him with her trunk.

“It’s a lovely ship,” she said.

“Can you believe we’re really going to do it? Leave this town and travel the world?”

“I always knew you’d make it happen someday,” Laura said, brushing his hair back from his forehead. “You’re going to do great things, Flynn. Didn’t I always tell you?”

Flynn had learned a lot about how trade and negotiation worked during his times on the docks. He believed that with this ship and the money Benedict had given him, he could build some success for himself and give his mother a comfortable life. He could hardly believe it was real and his heart pounded as they climbed aboard the ship.

Wavedancer,” Laura said. “Such a pretty name. I wonder if Benedict chose it himself.”

Flynn was about to answer when he thought he heard someone shout his name. He turned and squinted down at the docks.

“Flynn! Wait! Excuse me, sorry, can you just-move!”

“Ivy?” Flynn called, dumbfounded. He could see a small figure with long hair scurrying along the dock, trying to hold onto a hat with one hand and using their trunk as a battering ram with the other.

“Flynn, thank god I caught you! Let me up.”

“What are you doing here?” Flynn lowered the gangplank that he had just pulled up. Ivy scrambled up, dropping her trunk on the deck with a thud and bending over to catch her breath.

“I was so worried you’d be gone,” she said.

“Ivy for God’s sake, what are you doing, your father is going to be worried sick-“

“He sent me,” she interrupted. “He and Ginny both. They told me to come.”

“What? Why?”

Ivy straightened up and planted her hands on her hips, giving him a stern look. “Look, Flynn. No more dancing around the issue. I have feelings for you, and you have feelings for me. Or you did. So what are we going to do about it?”

“I...I didn’t think you’d want to see me anymore, because of...the whole lying thing.”

“I’m over it. I understand why you did it and besides you fought a serial killer to save me. I forgive you, okay? And I don’t care that you’re from Seahollow or that you weren’t born with a silver spoon in your mouth. I want to be with you. Now if you don’t feel the same way, tell me right now and I’ll go home and that’ll be the end of it. But if you want to be with me then I am going with you. And that’s that.”

Flynn gaped at her for a few moments, trying to process what was happening. Ivy tapped her foot and stared at him, waiting for an answer. Flynn cleared his throat nervously.

“I, uh. I want to be with you.”

Ivy looked relieved.

“Even if you forgive me, I’m still sorry that I lied to you and I’m sorry that Sheldon tried to kill you. And I just want you to know that I might fail at this whole merchant endeavor I’m trying out, and we’re going to be at sea a lot which might get boring and I hope you don’t get seasick. I’ll do my best to maintain the quality of life you’re used to but we might wind up living on a deserted island or under a bridge so I apologize now in case that happens-“

Ivy rolled her eyes and grabbed him by the front of his shirt, yanking him down and kissing him. That went on for a while until there was a delicate, “ahem” behind them and Flynn pulled back. Ivy flushed when she saw Laura there, her eyes twinkling amusedly.

“Oh!” Ivy exclaimed. “I’m sorry, I didn’t see you.”

“Uh, Ivy this is my mom. Mom, Ivy.”

“It’s a pleasure to finally meet you,” Laura said. “I can’t wait to get you know better, but I think I’ll leave you two alone for a while.”

Flynn coughed in embarrassment as Laura laughed softly and descended below decks. Ivy smoothed her skirt awkwardly.

“So, let’s get this tub moving, shall we?” Flynn showed her how to use the helm as they steered the ship out of the harbor.

“This is so exciting,” Ivy said breathlessly.

“I love you,” Flynn said. She turned her head to look up at him and he smiled slightly. “But you’re a detective, so I guess you’d already figured that out.”

“Still happy to get your confession, Mr. Dawson. You’re going in for life, I hope you realize.”

Flynn laughed, tugging lightly on the loose curl that always fell across her cheek. “Put me down for two life sentences, Detective, because I’m not sure one will suffice.”