Fix Me, Fix You

Chapter Four

Jesse stared out the taxi window at the sun shining over Lake Pontchartrain. The huge body of water looked calm and peaceful as he traveled over it. So many things in New Orleans had already made him feel at ease; it was reassurance that he had made the right decision to stay in Louisiana. Now it was time to see if he could start a life there.

Forty-five minutes later, the cab dropped him off at the end of a gravel road, in front of a large shed that was situated next to two beautiful old homes that overlooked a small lake. The first one, the one closest to the shop, was a light blue two-story house with white shutters. It stood a few feet off the ground with white stairs leading up to the porch. The second house was smaller, only one story, and was white with black shutters. It also stood a few feet off the ground and had white stairs leading to the porch, which wrapped around the entire house. They were older homes, but it was obvious they had been updated and remodeled recently.

The rocks crunched under Jesse's feet as he approached the shop. He knocked on the door a couple times.

"Come on in!" A loud male voice called from inside.

Jesse opened the door and entered the shop. A variety of tools lined the walls, and equipment, pieces of wood, and a couple desks filled the floor. A hefty man, around sixty-something years old with salt and pepper hair, stood up from a workbench to greet him.

"What can I do for you, son?" The man asked as he wiped his hands with an already dirty towel. His southern accent was only slightly noticeable in his speech.

"I'm here about the carpentry job," Jesse replied.

"Oh, perfect!" The man's eyes lit up as he extended his hand to introduce himself. "Cooper Quinn."

"Jesse Pinkman," he replied as he shook the man's hand. He tensed up a bit when he realized he had used his real last name – something he hadn't intended on doing due to it being tainted from the Heisenberg investigation. But when the name didn't seem to ring a bell with Cooper Quinn, Jesse relaxed.

"Nice to meet you, son," Cooper stated. "Did you see my ad in the newspaper?"

Jesse nodded. "Yes, sir."

"Oh, good. I wasn't sure if anyone still read the newspaper anymore," Cooper told him with a small laugh. "So tell me about your carpentry experience."

"Well," Jesse replied. "I took woodshop in high school."

Cooper chuckled. "High school? How long ago was that, boy?"

"Eight years ago," Jesse admitted sheepishly.

A hearty laugh escaped Cooper's lips. "You took a woodshop class eight years ago? I'm looking for a skilled carpenter, son. I need someone to run my shop for me. I'm getting too old, and I don't have any sons to pass the business on to." He shook his head. "I appreciate you coming by, but I need someone with a bit more experience."

Jesse nodded, feeling defeated, but not quite ready to give up. He knew Cooper Quinn could not fathom how important this job was to him. Hell, the ad practically crawled out of the newspaper toward him and the flier practically flew off the bulletin board at him. "I understand, Mr. Quinn, but I'm new to town and I need a job – this job. I may not know much about carpentry right now, but I've got a knack and passion for woodworking, and I'm willing to learn."

Cooper sighed, feeling bad for the kid after hearing the desperation in his voice, but still unsure about his lack of experience and skill.

"Most jobs require experience, but how can I get experience if no one will hire me without it?" Jesse wondered.

"You got a point, kid."

Jesse stared at the man, wishing he could make him understand how badly he needed the job, how badly he needed a job that he loved, a job that was fulfilling and meaningful, a job that did something for people instead of ruining people.

"Alright, son," Cooper sighed again. "You caught me on a soft day. I'm not promising long term work, but I do need some help around here, and I could use you until I find someone more qualified to take over for me."

Relief washed over Jesse. That was good enough for him. "I'll take it. Thank you, Mr. Quinn."

"Ah, jeez, makin' me feel old. Just call me Coop. When can you start?" Cooper wondered.

"Now," Jesse offered with a shrug.

The door to the shop opened behind Jesse.

"Hey you," Coop greeted happily.

"Hey Dad. Just returning your hammer," a female voice spoke behind him.

Jesse turned around and was met with stunning blonde hair and vibrant green eyes. His heart leapt into his throat.

"Jesse, this is my daughter Jolie. Jolie, this is Jesse, my new help down here in the shop," Cooper introduced.

"Well if it isn't Mr. Respectable," the girl from the aquarium tunnel joked as she walked over to the two men.

Unable to produce any words, Jesse just smiled.

"You know this young man?" Cooper asked his daughter.

"We've seen each other around," Jolie responded vaguely, smirking.

"Well, I've just hired him to help me out around here. Is he as good of a worker as he says he is?"

Jolie nodded and smiled. "I'd bet so."

The phone rang loudly throughout the shop.

"Ah, jeez, let me get that. Hang tight, Jesse," Cooper stated as he hurried off to the other side of the shop to grab the ringing phone.

"You stalking me or something, Jesse?" Jolie asked as she smirked again.

Jesse laughed and shook his head slightly. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"So what's your story then?" She wondered.

"What do you mean?"

"A grown adult who goes to the aquarium alone, carries a backpack, wearing the same clothes two days later?" She inquired.

"Asks the girl who is also a grown adult, also alone in the aquarium, having an early midlife crisis, laying on the floor of a marine habitat tunnel, ready to be trampled by sixth graders," Jesse retorted.

A smile graced her lips as she replied, "Touché."

"Ready to get started, Jesse?" Cooper asked as he made his way back over.

"Sure am," Jesse replied, not taking his eyes off of Jolie.

"Nice to see you again, Jesse," she stated.

"You too," he responded. "See you around."

Though he knew she was better off without him in her life, he was thrilled to see her again. Even happier to know he would get to see her often. He just had to promise himself that he wouldn't get involved with her, no matter how attracted to her he was.

He did not want her to end up like his last few girlfriends.