Status: Active ♥

Haunted

Sixteen

Zak’s voice broke through the fog that had infiltrated Lily’s mind and she attempted to respond, but no sound came out. She felt trapped between the past and present, unable to get a grip on reality.

‘My sweet, sweet angel’ came a disembodied voice, causing Lily to involuntarily shiver and close her eyes as the old man returned, ‘Don’t you want to see what could be.’

“Out of the dark, into the light,” Lily mumbled on a loop, trying to loosen the spirit's hold and feeling the pressure fade a little from her ears.

Her trances were usually intense, but this one was different and she felt as though her head was being held under water.

***

After getting no response, Zak began to get worried and gently shook Lily to see if that would snap her out of her trance. The initial intrigue that he’d felt quickly morphed into fear, but it was less to do with the paranormal and more the thought of something happening to Lily.

“I don’t know what else to do,” Zak said, keeping his hand on Lily’s shoulder and glancing up at Jay.

“We could try sage, it’s used to cleanse evil...” Jay suggested reluctantly, “The issue is that it could hurt Lily as well.”

“It may be our only option,” Billy added.

“I’m pretty sure she has some in her kit,” Jay stated, causing Aaron to nod and disappear.

Aaron soon returned with a pouch and handed it to Jay, who moved to sit in front of Lily. With the sage lit, he allowed it to burn a little and blew out the flame leaving only the orange embers behind.

Silence filled the room as Jay closed his eyes, muttering his chosen mantra and surrounding Lily with the smoke. Anxiety (either his own or Lily’s) filled his chest as the silence stretched, but a sudden intake of air from Lily sent relief crashing down on him and he opened his eyes.

***

The grip on Lily faltered and the old man faded slightly, allowing her to grab hold of the words echoing within her head. She quickly snapped from the trance with a gasp and scrambled back until she hit the wall, staring around a little dazed.

“Lil, it’s okay?” Zak reassured, taking a few steps towards her and freezing when Lily shook her head.

“I need to get out of here,” Lily stated, pushing herself to her feet and rushing outside as her stomach lurched.

She had just finished puking, when she heard movement behind her and spun around to find Zak approaching her. Not trusting herself to speak, she accepted the bottle of water that he offered and leaned back against the wall with a sigh.

“I’ve never seen you slip that deep into a trance before,” Zak commented after a long pause, “Using the sage was the thing to do, right?”

“It was,” Lily replied, “I’ve never felt trapped like that before, for the first time I was truly scared of my gift... of my mind.”

“What do you need?”

“I need time to process and disconnect, would it be okay to stay in the car for a while?”

“Of course.”

Without another word, she walked off and shut herself in the car away from the world.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Reading ♥