Status: Slowly in progress

Runaways

Flight Path

"I'm so happy you're here!" Jet squealed as she unlocked her apartment.

Lydia shook her head with a grin. Such a noise coming from her best friend was extremely rare and always unexpected when it actually happened. "Does your boyfriend know your a squealer?"

"Oh hush," Jet laughed with a growing blush. It was nice to have her best friend back. "Speaking of boyfriends, you said you had something to tell me. Are you two finally together?"

"No. We haven't moved quite that far," she admitted a bit sheepishly. They walked to the guest room, that was basically Lydia's permanent bedroom at this point, as she continued talking, "But I still feel like I need your advice. Before I left, I gave him a kiss on the cheek and we agreed on having dinner when I get back. He wants to cook for me."

"So what do you need my advice for?" Jet asked while watching the other woman plop down on the bed. "It sounds like you're moving at your own pace."

"We are. And everything is feeling so natural with him but I….I don't know. I feel like I'm going to mess this up somehow. What if the pace we're moving at is too slow and he gets bored? I mean, this man is a world famous musician for crying out loud! He could have anyone regardless of age."

"And yet it seems like he wants you. Look, I had similar worries with my guy. But we've talked a lot and I'm really not worried about that anymore. I know this kind of stuff tends to be hard for you, but have you two sat down and really talked about how you feel?"

"No," Lydia admitted in a whisper. "The only time we really talked about that kind of stuff was almost two months ago when he told me who he was. We've just been kind of...letting things progress since then."

The French native nodded and walked over to the bed, plopping down with a grunt and laying down beside her friend. "While it's good that you two are letting things happen naturally, I think it would be a good idea to talk things out. You are having these feelings that," she paused and turned her head, "you are having feelings, right?"

"Yes," she chuckled, turning to look at her as well. "I've never felt anything like this before. Sometimes it's so overwhelming that I get flustered and I feel like I can't even speak. He makes me feel so many things, Jet."

"And these are good feelings, right?"

"I think so. The nerves and stuff I could do without. I want to be more confident around him, ya know?"

"But everything else has been good?"

"Yeah, I think so."

Jet nodded and hummed softly in thought. While they'd briefly touched on this subject before, she wasn't entirely sure Lydia would want to hear what she was about to say, but she felt her friend needed to hear it. "I think you're falling in love, honey. And I know you probably don't want to think about that so soon, but I really think that's what's happening. Yeah, all I have to base this on is what you've told me, but that's my conclusion. You are falling in love with Paul."

Lydia frowned and went back to staring at the ceiling. Was it love? She wasn't entirely sure as she'd never felt it in that capacity before. But Jet had a few times, so she should know what the feeling was like. But wasn't it too soon for that? They hadn't even known each other for three months yet. "How do I know for sure?"

"You'll know. One day you will wake up and realize the person next to you is all you want."

"Is that how you knew you were in love with your current boyfriend?"

"Pretty much, yeah. And don't change the subject to me and my relationship. We're trying to figure out yours."

"I know," Lydia sighed. "Maybe I should just take this week to think about things. Maybe some time away will clear my head."

"That's the spirit! Now, how does dinner at your favorite restaurant sound?”

A little time away from everything wouldn’t hurt at all.

The two went to dinner and made a quick grocery shopping run afterwards. Neither felt like eating out all week. True, it’s what most people tend to do when on vacation or visiting loved ones but it seemed like too much of a hassle. Besides, spending a few evenings cooped up in the apartment seemed like a good idea to Lydia. The goal was to spend time together, after all.

After arriving back at Jet’s apartment, they settled down with a stack of movies, popcorn and other assorted candies and treats. They talked more than watched the movie but that was okay. It had been far too long since they’d been able to do this and there was no telling how long it would be before they could do it again, so they found no harm in just enjoying themselves.

“Since you got to interrogate me about whatever it is that’s going on with Paul and myself, I think it’s only right you let me do the same with you," Lydia said after settling back down on the couch, having just put another movie in.

Jet groaned dramatically. “What do you want to know?”

“Are you ever going to tell me his name or what he does besides being a musician?” She laughed. “What about the fact you don’t have pictures everywhere of this supposedly gorgeous man?”

More laughter ensured. “Well his name is Richard, he’s a guitarist and occasional singer and I don’t have pictures plastered all over my walls because he isn’t completely comfortable with that yet. He likes his privacy and I respect that.”

“That’s understandable but still. You’re putting them up in your house, not all over social media.”

She shrugged. “I think part of it has to do with the pace we’re moving at. Much like you and your darling Paul, we’re going at a slower pace than most. Though we’ve definitely surpassed you two in just about everything despite that.” A pointed glare made her laugh. “You’re my best friend. I’m supposed to tease you. But really, I don’t think we’re quite at that point in our lives yet. But the day I start plastering pictures everywhere, you’ll be the first to know.”

Lydia rolled her eyes good naturedly at her teasing but nodded. “I just feel weird. I don’t even know what this guy looks like.”

“You will eventually. I want you two to meet at some point. We’re all just way too busy right now. That and I wanna wait a little longer.”

“I think it’s a good thing you two are going at a slower pace. It’ll be good for you in the long run.”

Jet shrugged as she said, “We’ve both been burned pretty badly before. Especially him, being a musician and all.”

“And you like him,” Lydia teased with a grin.

“And I like him,” She agreed with a laugh. “I like him a lot, actually. He constantly gives me butterflies and I swear he makes my toes curl every time we kiss."

“That's a bit more information than I need to know," she grimaced, "but I'm glad you found someone that makes you happy.”

“Me too. And I’m happy you found someone that’s making you feel the same. No matter what pace you go at, you deserve happiness. You’ve been through far too much in this life not to finally have it.”

“Thank you,” Lydia whispered, quickly wiping away the gathering tears. “Sometimes I don’t feel like it’s real. I’m terrified to get that close to Paul and let him in completely because I feel like one day I’m going to wake up and I’ll still be in that house with Alexander.”

“Oh sweetheart,” Jet breathed. She had her suspicions her friend felt this way but always hoped it wasn’t true. She carefully wrapped her arms around her in a hug and held her close as she began to shake. “I promise you, no, I swear to you that this is not a dream. You are not back in that house, you are not married to that horrible man and you never will be. And if I have it my way, you’ll never have to deal with him again.”

“I hope you’re right because I want to move on. And I want to do that with Paul. I want to forget about Alexander and everything he put me through and I want to start a life with Paul. I want it so much it scares me,” she confessed through her tears. “But I’m scared it’s not possible. I don’t want it all to be a dream.”

“My darling girl, you are so loved. Your grandparents, myself, and I’m willing to bet Paul does too. We all love you. And I swear this is not a dream. A dream come true, maybe. But never one you have to be afraid you’ll wake up from. I guarantee that. And as long as you don’t push yourself, I think you will have a life with Paul. Because he really does seem to care about you. But I want you to promise me something, okay? Don’t rush things. The pace you two are going is just fine. There’s no reason to change things. And when you get back to Germany, talk to him. Tell him what you are thinking and feeling. Communication is the key to everything, including relationships. No matter how fast or slow they are going. Can you promise me that?”

After taking a moment to think and attempt to finally stop crying, Lydia nodded. “I promise. And thank you. I didn’t mean to ruin our evening.”

“You didn’t,” Jet promised. “I think that was something you needed to get out and talk about freely.”

“I think you’re right. I do feel better now.” Maybe talking things out and having a good cry was exactly what she needed.

“Good. Now, how do you feel about watching another movie and starting over fresh tomorrow?”

“That sounds perfect.”

“Good. Because you’re here for a week so we’ll have to start over sometime.”

Delightfully blessed laughter ensured.
♠ ♠ ♠
Didn't turn out quite how I intended but I'm pretty happy with it.