Status: Slowly in progress

Runaways

The Couch

Leaving Paris was always hard for Lydia. Every departure felt like she was leaving a safe haven, a place she could finally relax and be herself. But that was the past. This time it no longer felt like she was headed into danger the second the plane landed. This time she was simply trading one safe haven for another and there was no longer any danger here. She was heading home. Because that’s what Berlin had become. Home.

While Paris had felt home like because her grandparents and best friend were there, it never felt quite right. America most definitely never felt that way despite spending most of her life there. There was far too much pain and horror there to feel anything other than dangerous. Be it in her parents home or her ex-husband’s. It was never right.

It’s funny how moving to a different country gave Lydia the safety and home she’d always longed for.

Despite the hassle of getting through the airport due to the new little pieces of metal in her chest, she was happy to be there. Though her joy was diminished slightly when she found it was not Paul picking her up, but rather his sweet lead singer, Till.

“You aren’t Paul,” Lydia stated with a slight pout after getting in the car. She immediately winced upon realizing what she said. “Sorry, that was rude.”

Till laughed and started the car with a shake of his head. “It is alright. He was supposed to pick you up but one of our producers held him back to re-record a solo, so he sent me.” He gave a sweet smile, “he sends his apologies.”

“That’s alright,” she said. “Thank you for agreeing to come get me.”

Another smile. “It was my pleasure. Now, how was the trip?”

“It was good. I had a lot of fun.” She yawned and stretched out as best she could in the seat.

“Perhaps too much fun?” he teased.

A laugh. “Maybe.”

“You will have plenty of time to sleep if you want. We’ll probably be in the studio until later tonight.”

“I might do that.” A moment passed and she wrinkled her nose. “And maybe shower. I feel gross after the plane ride.”

Till laughed. He appreciated how honest and comfortable she was around him. According to his guitarist, it wasn’t easy for her to be that way with new people. And despite the dinner they’d spent together at Paul’s apartment, they didn’t truly know each other that well. And yet here she was, talking and laughing with him. It made him feel strangely proud of her.

The rest of the ride to the apartment was spent joking and laughing. Nothing felt forced and Lydia was quite proud of herself for how easily and comfortably she was able to converse with the man. Perhaps she was getting better with these things after all. That and the knowledge Paul had known the man for years and trusted him with his life probably helped more than a little bit.

After saying their goodbyes and promising to talk again soon, Lydia happily walked into her apartment building. During the ride up in the elevator she sent a quick text Paul’s way to let him know that she’d made it back safe. Out of habit she gave her apartment a quick look over to make sure no one had been in and bothered anything, then unpacked and jumped in the shower to rid herself of the dirty feeling being on a plane always brought, checked her phone and then settled down for a nap.

Four hours later she was awakened from a very nice nap by her phone ringing.

“Hello?”

“Hello, Sweetheart.”

“Paul,” Lydia breathed in something akin to relief. “How are you?”

“About to go home,” he said with a grin. “I wanted to let you know in case you decided to take a nap when you got back.’

She chuckled. “I did actually.”

He thought she would be worn out. She’d told him before that no matter how short or long the flight was, it always left her exhausted. “I’m sorry for waking you then.”

“It’s alright. I’ve been asleep for,” she paused to check the clock and then laugh, “about four hours. I needed to get up anyway. How soon will you be home?”

“Soon. It’s not a long drive from the studio. But it should take me around forty minutes to cook everything.”

“Plenty of time for me to get ready then.”

Paul shook his head, “You don’t have to do that. It’ll just be us.”

“Maybe I want to.”

He couldn’t fight back a smile at that. It was admittedly kind of a nice thought, her wanting to dress up for their dinner. “Maybe I will too then.”

“Oh?” Lydia asked with a grin. “Do I get to see you in a suit?”

“No,” he laughed. “Not unless you really want me in one.”

While the image that conjured up was rather lovely, she didn’t want to put him up to something he didn’t want to do. Most people found dressing up like that to be a chore. Especially if they had to do so often. “Not if you don’t feel like it.”

Another smile and a shrug. “I’ll see what I can do.”

She hummed softly, a smile tugged at her lips again. “I’m going to get off here so you can get home and I can get ready. I’ll see you soon?”

“Absolutely,” he said. Though in his opinion, soon wasn’t soon enough.

They ended the call at that and Lydia crawled out of bed to start looking for something to wear. She was beginning to get excited again as she started looking through her closet. She’d been looking forward to this night since they agreed to have it. And while nerves were bound to set in at some point, she hoped they came in the form of butterflies instead of anxiety. The last thing either of them needed tonight was an anxiety attack rearing its ugly head.

After spending far longer searching through her closet than Lydia cared to admit, she settled on a dress. This was similar to the one she wore for their dinner with Till except it was black, a little longer, not quite as form fitting and the neckline showed off just a tad more than her collarbones, though not quite low enough to show cleavage. It was gorgeous and part of her hoped the color of the dress made Paul’s voice all hoarse and croaky again. It did wonders to his already slightly deepening voice.

It also did wonders to her.

She then went about fixing her hair and giving it a little extra curl the braid she put it in early hadn’t already given it and put on just enough makeup to make her pretty brown doe eyes pop.

Thankfully Lydia was already done by the time a knock came from her front door. She paused on her way to answer it, contemplating putting on shoes, before deciding against it. She didn’t feel like wearing any and he seemed to like it when she didn’t.

The sight before her upon opening the door took her breath away. While Paul wasn’t in a suit, he was still dressed nicely. A black button down shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows, dress pants and to her secret delight, he was barefoot as well. He looked incredibly handsome.

Paul was in a similar state of awe. He’d always thought Lydia looked good in darker colors and tonight was no different. She made him want to fall to his knees.

"Lydia."

"Paul."

Both of them spoke each others names in soft breathless murmurs with reverence, as if they were the names of Gods that hadn't been spoken in thousands of years.

They stared at each other for a moment, in part to being caught up in looking the other over after a week long separation and in nervousness. After all that longing, there was a silent question hanging in the air. Were those budding feelings still there? While they really weren’t apart for a long time it did still feel that way. Could it be that, that little time apart was enough to clear their heads? To make them realize how crazy this was? Were they making a huge mistake by not only being friends but wanting to be more than that, no matter how much they were trying not to completely acknowledge that?

It didn’t take long to get their answer.

“Come here, Sweetheart,” Paul whispered while opening his arms. She immediately dove in, arms wrapping tightly around one another and burying faces in whatever nook they could comfortably reach while trying to subtly take in deep breaths of the others scent. It’s strange how easy it is to miss the way someone smells.

“I missed you,” Lydia mumbled into his neck, stretched up on her tiptoes and holding on for dear life. She didn’t want to ever let him go.

“I missed you too.” His face was buried in her hair, breathing in the rather nice smell of the rose shampoo she was currently using.

“Is ‘Sweetheart’ going to be a thing from now on?” she teased. He’d only said it a handful of times and she was actually starting to become fond of it.

He laughed and shrugged, making her move slightly and squeak when they tipped just a bit, “only if you like it.”

“I like it.”

“I do too.”

They eventually parted from their hug when Lydia’s toes began to cramp up from being on them for so long. She wasn’t a ballerina after all, and being almost en pointe for a long period of time wasn’t a good idea. No matter how much they wanted to stay like that. After making sure she was alright, Paul led her over to his apartment. He’d spent quite a bit of time making dinner and he was pretty proud of himself. He wasn’t always the best at it. Certain dishes just wouldn’t come out right, no matter how hard he tried.

Dinner was spent at the small bar in his kitchen where they’d previously eaten during their dinner with Till. Afterwards they moved to the couch to settle in and catch up with one another. It would prove to be a long, but pleasant, night.

"What would you like to drink?" Paul asked from the fridge. “I have alcoholic and non. Do you drink? I don’t think I ever asked. I was thinking of pulling out some wine Richard left over a little while ago. If you are comfortable with me drinking around you. Or drinking at all. I can have water or something if you want. Or we both can. It’s up to you.”

She watched him from over the couch in fond amusement. His ramblings were adorable but she very much appreciated the thought he put into checking to make sure she was comfortable even if it deprived him of what he wanted. “I’m okay with us both drinking if you are,” when he nodded as to confirm this she continued, “can I have a smaller glass, though? I don’t drink very much. Or often.”

He nodded and made quick work of pulling the wine from the fridge and pouring it into two small glasses. He had no intention of getting drunk tonight. Or even attempting it for that matter. After settling down on the couch he handed her a glass and said, “This one was really good, if I remember right. He’s normally good at picking out this stuff.”

Lydia hummed softly and took a couple of tentative sips. It was very sweet with just the tiniest hint of a bitter after taste. Just how she liked it. “He has good taste.”

“Normally,” he chuckled after taking a few sips and placing his glass on the coffee table. “How was your trip?”

She coped him with a laugh, “I enjoyed it. It was hard being away from my family for so long but I like it here. I think I'll stay."

"Oh? You only like it here?" He teased with a grin.

She smiled shyly and said, "I'm liking it more and more every day." So she may have been talking about him and not the city. Though she liked that as well.

A faint blush appeared.“I am too,” a grin, “Though I have been looking at it for a while.”

“How is the new album coming along, if you don’t mind me asking?” A small subject change to divert some of the attention away from herself or else she knew she’d start blushing.

“It’s alright. We have about ten songs completed so far, but we’ll probably make at least twenty or thirty of them and then pick which ones we like most and those will go on the new album.”

“And the ones you don’t use?”

“Put back to look at later. Just because it doesn’t work with this album does not mean it won't work on the next one. It’s normal for us to go back and forth until we finally have something finished."

"Do you end up with a lot of unpublished songs that way?"

"Oh yes," Paul chuckled. "We probably have three or four albums worth of songs."

"That's a lot." She was surprised they had so many unused songs. Though she never put much thought into what was used and what wasn't when it came to music. Like most, she simply enjoyed it. Though in retrospect it shouldn't surprise her considering how many unfinished paintings she had gathered over the years. It would make sense for others to do the same, no matter what kind of art they made.

"Perhaps one day before we retire we'll release everything in our vaults." Now that thought made him flinch. Retirement. They weren't old enough for that yet, right? He certainly didn't think so.

"I think that's going to be a very long time from now," Lydia assured, noticing his shift in mood by the slightly pained look on his face. He definitely wasn't old enough to retire from anything. Let alone music. At least she didn't think so.

"I hope so," he murmured. "I still feel too young for all that."

"Then I'm sure it will be a very long time." After a slight hesitation she reached across the small space between them and gently took his hand in hers, giving a soft but encouraging squeeze. Much to her delight, this made him smile. Even if it was a small one. While gently stroking the back of his hand with her thumb, she murmured, "I wanted to thank you for dinner. It was wonderful."

Paul smiled a little bigger this time. "You're welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed it." He was also enjoying the touch she had initiated. Such a simple thing but it felt wonderful. It was also a little distracting. "Maybe we can do this again soon?"

"I'd like that. Do you want to cook again or do you want me to?"

"We can go back and forth if that's alright. I only know how to make so much."

Lydia grinned at the pink blush now coloring his face. It was absolutely adorable. "I can teach you a few things if you want. We can make dinners together sometimes." But with how amazing dinner was tonight, she had a hard time believing he couldn't cook much. Though a lot of people do have special dishes they are better at than others.

He nodded. "I like that idea." Spending even more time together was fine with him. "Just do not tease me.'

She chuckled at the change in his voice. "Now you are teasing."

He hummed and nodded with an ever growing smile. "I like the way it makes you smile when I do."

"Yes, well.." Now she was blushing and a bit flustered.

A chuckle escaped before he could repress it. Paul raised their clasped hands to his lips and kissed her knuckles. This only flustered her further and darkened the blush painting her face. Even if the gesture was appreciated. "I know you enjoyed being in Paris but I really missed you while you were gone."

"I missed you too." The mention of Paris once again reminded her of the decisions she made while there. Deciding to test the waters a bit, she whispered, "I dreamed of you while I was gone."

Her words, as well as the implications behind them, made him smile. "I dreamed of you too."

"Paul?"

"Hmm?"

The nerves and butterflies made her words become a whisper, "can I kiss you?"

Had she just..? Did she..? No, it couldn't be. Paul was sure he heard her wrong. But the shy and earnest look on her face began to make him think otherwise. Maybe she had asked and he wasn't hallucinating. Perhaps he should say something just in case, he decided. Voice thick with emotion, he choked out a, "yes."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

After a brief moment of hesitance, she moved forward and closed the small gap between them on the couch. Lydia leaned her forehead against his long enough to watch a mix of awe and surprise cross his face before closing the rest of the distance between with a warm but gentle brush of lips that caused instant butterflies for both of them.

A few seconds of shock passed between them, because this was really happening, before the kiss continued with firm but gentle purses. It was a first kiss fit for a Hollywood film. But this one had genuine longing and a blossoming love behind it. Paul slowly raised his hands to gently cup her face just as Lydia moved to do the same. They fumbled for a moment before placing their hands where they wanted them and continued in a slowly growing insitancey.

They both broke away only when the need for proper air became too much to ignore. Foreheads rested against the other while they panted, eyes closed and hands gently cupping faces as breath mingled together.

They definitely needed to do that again.

“Is that what you realized while in Paris?” Paul asked after regaining his breath.

“Is it,” she chuckled, pulling away just enough to look at his smile. “I’m sorry it took me so long.”

He shook his head. “Don’t apologize. It was well worth the wait.” And it really was. He’d gladly wait a thousand times over if he could just to have that first kiss again.

Lydia grinned and gently pecked his lips, giggling when he eagerly kissed back. “Thank you,” she murmured when they parted again. “As much as I’ve loved being your friend, I think I want to be something else now.” Her blissed out state was making her quite honest.

He shuddered and nodded. “I want that too.” This was really happening. He was half tempted to pinch himself just to make sure he wasn’t dreaming because this certainly felt like one.

“Can I request something, though? I’ve enjoyed being friends so much that I don’t want that part of our relationship to end. Can we continue being friends while we are together?”

A broad grin. “I would like that very much.”

Lydia hummed with barely contained excitement and leaned in for another kiss. This one felt just as perfect as the last.

When they parted, Paul murmured, “And please feel free to do that any time as well.”

Giggles and more kisses filled the apartment. Happiness was a wonderful feeling.