Devil in Paradise

Will you bite the hand that feeds?

FWD 1 years

I watch as Damien drools over whatever stripper that’s in front of his eyes. He band mates are tossing money at them. And me? I’m just sitting there like a gothic Barbie doll. I look over at the boys and they seem to be enamored with Karma to even notice my existence. Rolling my eyes, I get up off the crushed velvet chair and head out back with my drink in hand.

I lean up against the brick building and pull out my cell phone from my bra. I scroll through my contacts before stopping at a name I always scroll to but never call. I have no idea why I’m afraid to call him; he’s been my best friend since we were in diapers. Our mothers are friends, still. I’m friends with his girlfriend. I have no problem calling her. But him? I can’t.

“I don’t know why you’re still with him.” A female voice says. I turn to my left and see Lily Mayflower standing at the back door. “He’s a fucking asshole.”

“It’s not easy Lily.” I sigh. “I wish it was.”

“Bullshit, O.” She scoffs. “You are so much better off without him.”

“Without him, I’d still be in this club.” I counter. “It’s like I made a deal with the devil the day I agreed to go home with Damien. “ There is more truth in that statement than I’d like to admit.

“You don’t need him.” She states. “How can you stay with a known rapist? I thought you believed me.”

“I do, more than you realize.” I mutter, hoping she doesn’t hear. But by the look on her face, she heard me.

“You could become this amazing artist but Damien and his lack of talent is what’s holding you back.” She sighs, as someone is calling for her. “Please, call whoever you were going to call. Maybe they can talk some sense into you. Maybe they can save you from being Damien’s next victim.” With that she leaves me alone.

“Are you really going to listen to that jealous girl?” A man’s voice says. A chill dances up my spine. Because one year ago, in this very alley, he appeared to me for the first time. I don’t even have to turn around to know who it is. Mr. Capricorn. “She’s always been so jealous of you. You are always going to be prettier and more talented than her. And she resents you for that. Of course she would want you to break away from the only way for you to get your talent out there.”

“She’s the only one that ever been real with me.” I counter, narrowing my eyes into a glare. “She’s the only one that’s been real in this town of fakes. “

“She’s only being nice to you to get something from you, can’t you see that?” He walks over to me and brushes a piece of my blonde hair from my face. “Me and Damien are your only friends. We are the only ones that care about you. Johnny and Vic? They never bothered calling you. They aren’t your real friends. They aren’t going to help you achieve your dreams.”

“Your head games aren’t going to work anymore.” I tell him as I move to the side to get away from him. “I should have never agreed to your terms. I should have never made that deal.”

“If it wasn’t for me, you’d still be here taking your clothes off for money.” He spits. “Or worse, maybe you would have graduated to selling your body. Ever thought of that?”

“Sure beats living in your jail cell.” I spit back. “I should have known this was going to be a bad idea. But I was so desperate to get famous, I stooped so low. You knew how desperate I was. You preyed on it. I’m through being desperate. I’m through making bad decisions. I’m done.” I push my empty drink glad into his hand and start walking away.

“If you walk away from this, I can’t promise you’ll like the outcome!” He yells back. I just raise my hand and flip him off as I continue my walk towards Damien’s car, which he stupidly gave me the keys too.

**

I pull up to an abandoned park and kill the engine before pulling out my cell phone. I quickly find his number and hit call this time.

“This is a name I haven’t seen pop up onto my phone in awhile.” His voice chuckles on the other end. “Long time no talk, O.”

“I know, I’m a horrible friend.” I sigh. “I’m sorry, I haven’t called in well over a year, Johnny. Things have been...different here.”

“I was beginning to think you got to big to talk to us little guys.”

“I’ll never be too big for you and Vic.” I assure him. “I’ll make sure of that.”

“Not that I don’t love talking to you, any reason why you called me? It’s five in the morning here.”

“Fuck, I’m sorry.” I apologize. “I just needed to hear a friendly voice. A voice that I know is real.”

“You’re not doing drugs, are you?” He laughs. “Or are you suddenly hearing voices in your head?”

“No, nothing like that.” I let out a chuckle. “I’m just surrounded by fake people. And I know you have always been one of the few people that keep me anchored to the real world. And it’s been awhile since I’ve been anchored.”

“Is L.A really that bad?”

“It’ll be better once you and Vic get out here.” I tell him. “You guys are still coming out here right? You haven’t forgotten that dream, have you?”

“We leave in a month.” He informs me. “Hey, I’ve got to go. I still have class to attend. I’ll call you later okay? And this time, please answer?”

“I’ll talk to you later.” I smile, despite knowing he can’t see me. “Give your mom, Gretchen and Vic my love.”

“Love you, O.”

“Love you too, Johnny.” I hang up the phone and quickly start the car. It’s time for me to head back to my reality, sadly.

One more month, and I’ll make my escape then. Freedom or bust….
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter title credit: The Hand that Feeds by Nine Inch Nails.

comment&subscribe? Want to be a character? Let me know.