Like You Did Before

76: I Need You

“Are you sure that you don’t mind taking her for a little while?” Matilda asked as she sunk down onto the sofa tiredly, her eyes lifting up towards her mother who stood ahead of her, Lola’s bag on her shoulder. It wasn’t something she would normally ask. Since she and Iker had hired a nanny, Matilda had always looked forwards to the evenings where she could spend time with the little girl, but with her nearing the end of her pregnancy, and Iker away in Madrid, she had had little choice but to call her mother and ask if she minded taking Lola for a couple of hours. She was exhausted and uncomfortable, and as much as she adored Lola, she needed a little while to herself, something she knew she wouldn’t get if she didn’t ask for her mother’s help. Lola was a ball of energy, and she didn’t quite understand that her mother couldn’t keep up with her.

Adrienne smiled, watching as Matilda’s hand traced lazy circles against her bump. “He awake again?” she asked.

“He’s always awake” Matilda replied, smiling sleepily.

Adrienne leant over, pressing a kiss to the top of Matilda’s head, before she stood up, offering her another soft smile. “Lola can stay with me and your papa tonight” she mused “You look like you could use a good night’s sleep. You’re probably not likely to get another opportunity any time soon” she added.

“You wouldn’t mind?” Matilda asked.

“Spending a night with our favourite granddaughter?” Adrienne quipped “We’d love to. Get some sleep, Mattie” she added.

Matilda flashed her an appreciative smile before she ducked down, pressing a soft kiss against the top of Lola’s head. “Be good for nana and grandpa” she murmured “I’ll see you in the morning, OK?” she added.

Lola glanced away from the toy she was fiddling with, smiling up at her mother, before Adrienne picked her up. “Wave bye bye to mama, Lola” Adrienne cooed.

“Buh bye” Lola said, waving at Matilda.

“Bye, baby” Matilda cooed “And thank you, mama” she added.

Adrienne waved her hand, dismissing Matilda’s thank you, before she padded out of the room. Matilda was quiet for a moment, listening for the sound of the front door closing, before she finally let out a quiet sigh of relief. Kicking her feet up onto the sofa, she leant her head back against a cushion, relishing the sound of silence that filled the house, before the shrill call of the doorbell filled the air, causing her to let out a low grumble of frustration. Pushing herself up to her feet, she held a hand to her stomach, waiting for a cramp to pass, before she shuffled through the hall, pulling the front door open. “You have a key, mama” she protested.

“I had a key to your apartment, but I don’t think I ever got one to this place”

Matilda’s stare snapped up, settling on Arthur who stood on the other side of the door, a slightly hesitant smile on his face. “Art” she squeaked.

“I am sorry for showing up unannounced” Arthur replied “And if you want me to get out of here, just say the word. The last thing I want to do is stress you out” he added, gesturing to her stomach.

Matilda followed the gesture, staring down at her bump for a beat, before she shook her head. “Why are you here?” she asked.

“In Porto?” Arthur replied “To visit my family. On your doorstep? I just...I wanted to see how you were” he added.

Matilda shook her head, grimacing slightly as her stomach cramped again. “Art...”

“I know that we agreed to cut ties” Arthur interrupted “But I...I just wanted to see you, Mattie. Not because of...of the elephant in the room, but because we’ve been friends since we were children, and I miss my friend. I know that we can’t go back to what we were, and I am not here to ask that we do, I just...I want to congratulate you on the baby, and on the engagement too. Mimi told me. I am so happy that you’re happy, Mattie” he added, offering her a small smile.

He could see the rejection on the tip of her tongue. When she had set eyes on him, the warmth on her face had only been there fleetingly before her expression had grown hesitant and unsure, and he wanted to try and reassure her that he wasn’t there to cause problems. He understood her being wary. He had caused problems, and he didn’t blame her for being a little concerned that he could be there to cause them again, but he wasn’t. He just wanted to see her, and let her know that he was happy that things were working out for her.

Matilda’s eyes searched his face, but before she could say anything, her hand flew to her stomach again.

“Mattie?” Arthur pressed.

Matilda took in a couple of deep breaths, allowing the pain to subside, before she looked up at him again. “Phone” she murmured.

“What?” Arthur spluttered.

“I need my phone” Matilda clarified “It’s on the coffee table. Can you get it for me?” she asked.

Arthur didn’t hesitate. Ducking around her, he disappeared into the house, returning to the door a handful of seconds later, Matilda’s phone clutched in his hand. Passing it over to her, he watched her dial a number before she pressed it against her ear, waiting a few seconds before she let out a quiet groan. “Iker” she grumbled “You really need to keep your phone on you. You’ve got a pregnant girlfriend. Anyway, I really need you to call me back as soon as possible. I am not sure, but I think my contractions have started, and that means you need to get here, because I am not prepared to do this without you. I need you, Iker. Please, call me” she added before she hung up the phone, offering it back out to Arthur.

Arthur took the phone, tucking it into his pocket, before he looked at her. “You’re having this baby, now?” he asked.

“Not immediately” Matilda replied, offering him a tremulous smile “But...yeah. I think I am” she added.

“Do I need to get you to the hospital?” Arthur pressed “Do you want me to call Adrienne? Tell me what you need, Mattie” he insisted.

Matilda hesitated for a second, but when Arthur squeezed her hand gently, and flashed her a small, reassuring smile, she nodded. “I need to sit down” she answered.

Arthur nodded his head and offered her his arm, something Matilda took, allowing him to lead her inside.