Status: Active

Avengers One Shot Fictions

Steve Rogers

"I need a break, just ten minutes," I begged between pants of breath that I so desperately needed. Since Steve came back from his last mission, he had been taking out his anger on the people around him during training. Like me. Three hours has left me unable to grip the water bottle without using two hands, jello didn't even begin to describe the type of weakness in my body.

"We're done," he threw the weights he had been holding down on the mat, I just couldn't see myself doing anymore than what he was already making me do.

"I'm sorry," I called out weakly, getting no reply except the gym doors slamming shut. "I can't keep up."

"There is no way you can," Bucky, who had secretly been training for the last two hours just to stay close in case I died, bent down beside me and gripped my knees. "I'm sorry, let me help you to your room."

"I'm gonna need it Buck," I grunted as I stood up, hunched over from the stiffness in my back because I had sat down. "I'm not gonna be able to walk tomorrow."

"He's pissed at me," Bucky admitted as he looped my arm around his waist, he wrapped his arm under mine for support. "I messed up the mission and I was mad and said something I shouldn't have. I hoped he wouldn't take it out on you but it seems that everyone is suffering."

"It was just my lucky day for training," I chuckled to lighten the mood but Bucky didn't even crack a grin much less laugh. "Its fine, I won't have to train for at least a week now. Don't be so hard on yourself. At least your helping me walk to my room."

"Still, he shouldn't take it out on you," he murmured as we slowly walked down the hallway to my room. Each step reminding me how much I loved my sheets and how happy I was I splurged for that expensive mattress.

"You can't help what he does," I grimaced as we walked up the first of two sets of small stairs that elevated the flooring from the lower levels. "Ah hell, hang on."

"Are you okay?" he asked in concern, glancing over to see my eyes squinted in pain. "Ace, do you need me to carry you?"

"No, no," I spoke through gritted teeth, waiting for the sharp pain in my knee to dull enough to take a step. "I think I just pulled a tendon is all, it'll be fine once I rest it."

"Yeah, okay," with a roll of his eyes, he bent down and scooped me up fireman's style, I would have complained but it felt to damn nice to be off my legs. "I'll have a talk with him, this isn't right."

"Please don't," I begged. "I don't want to be the reason you two fight again, or for him to be mad at me for making you two fight."

"You won't be, his attitude will," Bucky stated and by the sound of his voice, I knew not to argue the fact. He was going to do what he wanted to do considering how protective Bucky can be, when he cares about someone. I knew asking him not to stick up for me was a lost cause, but really I knew Bucky needed to have a sit down with his best pal. Steve had never been this way with me before, in fact he usually was more protective of me then Bucky and acted like I was made of glass even though I'm far from it. It made me wonder if I had done something wrong and not Bucky but honestly, I couldn't think of a thing.

"Buck?" I caught his attention just as he sat me down at the foot of my bed. "Is he mad at me for something, you think?"

"No, Ace," he shook his head in disappointment. "Steve has a one tracked mind, if something is bothering him, he goes into autopilot as he works it out in his head. He didn't mean to work you so hard today, but that doesn't excuse the fact that he did."

"Just," I paused and glanced at the floor. "Check on him, something is really bothering him and he may need you."

"I know and I will," he promised before he retreated out into the hallway. I stayed in the same position for a few minutes before finding an inner strength I didn't know I had to go shower off all the unbelievable amount of sweat I had sticking to every bit of me.

I don't know how long I was in the shower, after washing myself down I decided to sit on the ledge and let the scalding hot water work miracles on my aching muscles. By the time I emerged from the shower, all the hot water was gone, which is a feat with a building this big. I didn't bother with clothes, there was no point in struggling to put them on so I wrapped a large towel around myself and retreated to the comfort of my cotton sheets and fluffy pillows- in hopes of sleeping the soreness away.

It took four days to walk normal again. In those four days, I didn't see a glimpse of Steve but Bucky acted as if he was my caregiver and I wasn't allowed to go anything. Today, after Bucky to let me run on the pedal bike, I kicked him out of my room and forced him to go bug someone else for a while. I did tell him I loved him and thanked him, but he wasn't super happy with me. I walked down to the gym after ignoring his comments, pushing through the large double doors to the gym, I only saw two people in the huge spacious area. Sam was on the weight bench trying his best to look buff and Steve was at the punching bag, his favorite area. Sam shot me a weary expression and then glanced back at Steve who was intently beating the ever loving shit out of the poor bag until it exploded, only to hang another up.

I made my way over to Sam and sat my water bottle on the floor beside the other weight bench. "Still?" I asked, in surprise to which he nodded without looking at me.

"Its worse," Sam responded, placing the bar back on the hook and then running a hand over his face out of worry or frustration, I couldn't tell. "I don't know what's up with him."

"Something between him and Bucky," I shook my head. Instead of standing there all day contemplating Steve's maddening process, I decided to grab my water and make my way to the pedal bike without causing anything to catch Steve's attention. "See you later Sammy."

"I'm headed out," Sam grabbed a towel and wrapped it around his neck, he gave me a pointed look as he passed by towards the doors. "Have fun, Ace."

I shook my head, and decided to just exercise in quiet. I set my speed and started pedaling, I was minding my own business, I pulled my phone out of my bra to browse a few useless apps for entertainment and settled in. About twenty minutes later, I laid my phone down on the mat beside the bike, annoyed by all the same things I kept scrolling past and that's when I felt someone walk past. A peak out of the side of my eye and I realized it was Steve getting on the other bike and his gaze was set on the touchscreen in confusion.

"Uh, need some help?" I paused realizing that sounded kind of rude. "These things are crazy confusing, it took me a week to figure them out when Tony had them brought in."

"Yeah, thanks," Steve mumbled.

I stopped my bike and stood up, leaning over his bike's screen to fiddle with the controls. "This is what I set mine on, just push this button up if you want more resistance," I explained and pointed to the button on the console before returning to my bike.

"I'm sorry," Steve spoke softly, ashamed. "I was too hard on you the other day. I just lost myself and I took it out on you and I shouldn't have."

"It didn't kill me," I replied with a grin. "Almost did but. I'm just fine, I'm worried about you though."

"You shouldn't be," he said quickly.

"Yes, I should," I argued, stopping all together and shifting myself on the bike to turn towards him. "You haven't been yourself."

"You aren't the first person to mention that," he grumbled, giving up on using the bike while we spoke, so he mimicked me and turned towards my bike. "I'm just having trouble with some personal things- a lot to think about and my ability to sort through it has affected my moods, apparently."

"Talk to me?" I offered, quietly. It sounded more like a beg to my own ears.

"No thank you," he offered a small, sad smile. "But I appreciate the offer."

"You use to talk to me about what bothered you," I stated, feeling a bit dejected by his willingness to just brush off my help and if I say so myself, sound advice. "I won't say anything."

"I can't talk to you," he turned away, becoming distant again. His tone had darkened a little as he spoke the last bit. "So let it go."

"Did I do something wrong?" Now I was more perturbed than upset by his bipolar position. "Because I'd like to know why I'm becoming a human punching bag for your emotions."

"I'm sorry," he stood and rushed off, no other words and no explanation. I could have handled a fist fight better than that. The longer I sat there in silence, the angrier I got.

I stood up, by God he was going to tell me why he suddenly acted so hot and cold with me or he would deal with my wrath, which could be a lot scarier than his. I sprinted down the hallway, fuming and searching when I ran into Bucky. "Whoa, where are you off to in such a hurry?" Bucky gripped my arm and spun me around, like he normally did.

"He's being an ass still and I want to know why!" I shouted and pulled back but still had Bucky's grip on me. "Let me go Barnes."

"Nope," Bucky shook his head. "Leave him alone, Ace. Some things need to work themselves out."

"Fuck that," I sneered and used language I normally did not, but the fire in my belly, overtook my brain.

"Damn it, come here Acelin," Bucky growled as I pulled away, he began chasing after me. Unfortunately for Bucky, I was much quicker than him and I reached Steve's room with a good ten foot advantage. I didn't knock or call out to see if he was in there, I busted in like the damn kool-aid man.

"You don't get to just run off after a simple sorry and no reason for your shitty attitude towards me!" I shouted, still barrelling into his room. Steve;s shocked face sobered me up a bit when I realized, I probably looked insane. "So spit it out! What did I do because I have no idea! I can take the three hour torture of training but I cannot take you acting so distant and mad at me. You are one of my best friends, Steve and I can't lose you without a damn reason!"

"I-" Steve struggled, glancing between me and Bucky, who looked like he was stuck in a really awkward position right in the doorway. I swear I could read his mind by looking at his eyes, he wanted to run.

"Talk to me," I whispered, fighting back the lump in my throat and the tears in my eyes. I've always been sensitive but Steve was different. He was and always has been the person I could go to for anything, the person I trusted the most. My person. I'd marry him and have his babies if I could but I knew the beautiful Captain America only saw me as this fragile little girl who he liked well enough to be friends with and look after. The thought of forever losing Steve, crushed my soul in a way it never had been before. "I can't lose you, Steve. Whatever I did-"

"You didn't do anything!" he cried out, standing up quickly from his bed to embrace me into his large arms. "Please, Ace, don't think you did anything. It's all me, I've been struggling-" he paused. "I don't know how to say it. I'm stuck between what's right and what feels wrong."

"I don't understand?" I pulled back far enough to see his face and the expressions of pain and doubt that were all over it.

"I loved Peggy," he started. "In my time, I never thought I would get over her and then you came around, with all your laughter, kindness and love and I started to feel things I knew I shouldn't."

"Steve?" I was slow to put the pieces together.

"I feel guilty because you are so much younger, you deserve only the best- I feel guilty for betraying Peggy but-" he took a deep breath. "I love you Acelin and it scares the hell out of me."

"Why the hell would you love me?" I blurted out without realizing it. "I'm nobody. The only reason I'm here is because I'm someones science experiment gone wrong. I don't deserve your love, Steve. I would give anything in this world for you to love me-"

I couldn't finish, his lips crashed into mine to stop my rambling. The softness of his lips were no match to the passion behind his kiss. I didn't even get a chance to fight back the urge to kiss him, my body overpowered my mind and soon I was melting into him.

"On that note," Bucky cleared his throat, reminding us that he was a witness to it all and we in fact, were not the only two people in the world, nor were we the only two people in the room. As Steve and I separated, we noticed that Bucky dipped out as quickly as possible.

"So," I started off, scratching my neck out of nervousness. "What now?"

"We have a nice long talk and then I take you out on a date," he smiled softly and shyly added. "If that's okay."

"I'd like that." I whispered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kinda obsessed with Chris Evans at the same time, so bare with me.