Status: Active

Avengers One Shot Fictions

Bucky Barnes

“Funny story,” I murmured, brushing past the large body standing in my way. “I’m sorry- I have to go.”

“Are you okay?” Thor shouted behind me as I left him perring after my sprinting figure, retreating from the hallway into my room. “I’ll find Bucky.”

“Please don’t!” I managed to shout as the door slammed in my haste to reach the bathroom on time.

I don’t know how long I was hugging the porcelain god for but when I emerged from the bathroom after emptying my stomach contents, a quick face wash and thoroughly brushing my teeth, Bucky sat on the end of my bed, arms folded tightly over his chest and his face stern. “Grace,” he spoke a greeting.

“I’m fine,” I reassured him before he had a chance to mother hen me to death. “Must have been a bug, don’t get to close.”

“You have been puking all week long, I think you need to go to the infirmary,” he responded and his tone left nothing to argue with, that was an order.

“If I have too,” I glanced away from him to peer at the clock on the wall over the doorway. “You go eat lunch, I’ll be back pretty quick. There isn’t much they can do for a virus.”

“Just go make sure it isn’t something more serious, please?” Bucky stood and took a few steps towards me, he placed a hand on my shoulder and gave it a squeeze. “And don’t get your hopes up.”

“Buck,” I closed my eyes and turned away. “I quit hoping for that a long time ago.”

I brushed his hand off my shoulder as I made my way past him and down the hallway towards the facility clinic. I couldn’t keep the thought out of my mind though. It had been nearly two months since Bucky and I had separated, three months since I was told I had no chance of ever carrying a child of my own- it tore us apart. Well, I pushed us apart. Bucky deserved someone who could give him everything- a wife, life with kids and a white picket fence. I couldn’t give it all so I shut down, emotionally and physically, I pushed him out and for a good few weeks had managed to avoid any conversation that didn’t lead back to our life before. Now this situation, virus or whatever is dreaming up a whole fantasy in his head, making me deep down tingle with the thought. What if maybe, miracles really did happen?

“Grace?” Ivy Parker, the general practitioner of the clinic called me back as I continued to daydream in the lobby and somewhat dwell on the fact that I was probably going to be disappointed by a virus. “You gave a urine specimen when you checked in, right?”

“Per protocol,” I nodded as I hopped up on the metal table with paper padding that crinkled with my every shift, I was use to peeing in a cup. When you worked for the government, every visit resulted in a thorough urinalysis. “Always peeing in a cup for you.”

“Results will be in soon, what are you in for today?” she sat down her tablet on the counter as she asked questions and got situated on the rolling stool in the corner. Rolling her eyes with a grin. “Don’t say to pee in a cup.”

I chuckled. “I’ve been vomiting for nearly a week, hits me out of the blue,” I paused as I tried to think of any other symptoms. “Not eating much, I don’t really have an appetite for anything.”

“Any fevers?” the blond doctor asked as she scrolled through my file. “Chills?”

“Nope,” I shook my head, glancing down at my feet that dangled.

“Any diarrhea? Changes in bowel movements?” she kept asking, looking up from the screen every now and then to gage my expressions. “Rashes?”

“No, none of that,” I glanced around the room, casually taking in the new equipment.

“Grace,” she furrowed her brows as she intently looked at the screen of her tablet, glancing up to meet my eyes. “Are your breast tender? Are you repulsed by certain foods? Are you tired more than usual?”

“Yeah,” I thought about it for a moment, remembering how I basically blew chunks smelling Thor’s breath after he ate a cinnamon roll, or how I bumped into a wall and nearly screamed because my boob felt like it had been stabbed. “Does that have anything to do with a virus?”

“Answer me one last question?” she looked at me sternly. “When was your last period?”

“It was-” I paused again, unable to remember if it had been last month or the month before. “I guess it was last month, its usually around the twenty second- no, we were in that stupid town in- I- two months ago?”

“Gracie,” she smiled with a chuckle, unable to maintain professional knowing all Bucky and I had went through with her and her staff throughout the last year. “I don’t know how but your pregnant.”

“What?”

“You have very strong markers,” she laughed and held her arms out. “You are pregnant!”

“That’s not possible,” I whispered, watching as she slowly wrapped her arms around me. She embraced me deeply and rubbed my back. “It can’t be…”

“I guess it can, sweetie,” she rubbed my back once more before pulling away, but she kept me at arm's length. “Doctors don’t know everything. You have a blessing growing in you.”

“I-” it took me a minute to actually get my bearings, for the world to stop spinning with the news. “I have to tell Bucky.”

“I want you to make an appointment in a few weeks to do-” she started to say but I jumped up off the metal seat with speed.

“I will, I’ll be back, sorry-” I stopped at the door and ran back to throw my arms around her neck, hugging her tightly. “Thank you Ivy.”

“Go tell him.” she laughed and shooed me away.

I didn’t waste any time, I sprinted out of the double doors of the clinic and barrelled down the hallways like I was on fire, glancing into open doors as I went, frantically trying to stop the messy headed man I needed to see so badly. It finally dawned on me that I had told BUcky to go eat as I slumped against my bedroom door for a breather and as the thought struck me, I was off again.

Sitting in the corner at the table with Steve and Sam, in the brightly lit- full of bodies common room, I found him, He had his back to the door as I raced through, almost colliding with Wanda before coming to a full stop. She raised her eyebrows and took a hesitant step back to which I grinned apologetically and touched her arm, I couldn’t stop for an explanation or apology. I slid past agents and heroes with what little stealth I had and before I knew it, I was frozen behind Bucky’s chair, unable to scream for him as I originally planned.

“Grace?” I must have caught Steve’s eyes, interrupting his story from his workout earlier in the day. The confusion and concern etched across his pretty face, alerting Bucky right away. He stung around in his chair so fast, I stumbled back to keep from being thrown to the floor from an accidental metal arm to the hip.

He faced me, expression tight and lips pursed as he rose from his seat slowly, now knowing I was inches away. I still couldn’t speak, I could only stare into his beautiful eyes and pray our baby got them. Moments of staring passed before he forced out two pained words. “Say it.”

“I’m pregnant,” I whispered, with everything in me pushing those words out of my mouth. I threw my arms around his neck and held tight as he scooped me up into his arms. I honestly don’t know who was sobbing harder, me into his hair or him into my neck. All I know is that in that moment, it felt like we had never been apart. I felt complete. This- my family. It was all I ever wanted. And finally, I felt enough for him again.