Latrea: Sucked into a Whole New World

Prologue

Proem
In The Beginning


The sanguinary battle waged fiercely as bodies fell one-by-one. He did not know if he had much time left. His eyes gazing out over the field below where the mystical beings allied with himself worked to defend the tower’s base from the ever-looming darkness and her forces of evil. Master Varius was an elder man, he had seen much in his lifetime, so much so that the battle hardly scared his mind, but the death toll was a heavy price on his heart. He knew time was of the essence and that he needed to get to work before it the inevitable breach.

Walking away from the window, Master Varius made his way into a gargantuan chamber where a mixture of high-technological equipment one would assume was made with science seemed to be melded with equipment and trinkets used for magic, drawing in the aether energy, mixing the two. It stood tall, made of the finest metals with a glass casing at the foot where there sat eight egg-shaped objects that size of a human head. Each with queer markings and unique colors on each one. On the base of them was a symbol that was on top of the regular strange markings, each appearing to resemble a different aspect of the universe.

“Hurry, we don’t have much time!” Master Varius walked up to the glass and peered through it while golems, lizard-looking people, humanoid felines and other incongruous creatures, all wearing fine white silk robes, continued to work faster upon the demand. “Soon our land will be free once again, my children,” Varius spoke as he placed a hand on the glass, his other hand holding onto an ancient wooden-esque staff. The egg-shaped object closest to him that he, in particular, was staring at was red with orange markings that met in the center and formed an angelic-looking star.

The entire edifice began to violently shake as explosions sent shockwaves crashing through the ears of the workers. The doors flung open as a large reptilian being with silk white robes and steel-looking armor walked in, his right hand holding his side where blood could be seen leaking out.
“M-master Varius, they’re near. We are far and few in-between, I don’t think we will make it…,” the creature said.

Varius nodded as he began to work his magic as the machine, with the help of the staff there, began to rumble. “We will make it, General Marketh. You must have faith in the Pneuma. It guides us to victory, and to salvation.”

As the building shook further, the machine became extremely loud as the eight egg-shaped objects began to glow, each with a sky-blue aura. They all watched on as the objects began to lift up and move.

“Now’s our chance!” Varius shouted that they activate it now as the objects in the glass began to glow brighter, the glass encasing them shattering into dust as they fired up like bullets, leaving behind a trail of blue light as they rocketed out and through the roofing above. Varius watched in awe as his experiment began to work its magic.

Outside, the enemy of darkness that loomed over the field looked on as they stopped what they were doing and witnessed the small objects flying into the sky, and in a second, they were gone, the sky exploding into a brilliance of light, creating a multitude of colors as a result. On the field on a black-winged horse with cerise eyes that gleam with a powerful, yet warmness. On the horse sat a young man in full black and dark-colored steel armor with a cape had medium length black hair and bright blue eyes that almost seemed to glow. His bangs rested just above his eyes and his hair just above his shoulders. The man simply looked up as the light show occurred.

He turned to his Vice General nearby, Obious Nexxice, a dull and disgusting creature whose species was normally unattractive looking to the general populous’ eyes, and gave his command. “Search the premises, I want him alive.”

“As you command, my Lord,” Obious shouted to his troops to charge the building as the forces moved in, siege engines and towers firing all at once, arrows being shot, killing anyone in their area of attack, including the troops for the dark lord himself. It was a blitz attack, going in and slaughtering any and all in their way. If a few footmen had to die to save the rest of his forces, the man would do it without hesitation.

The doors to the chamber blew open once again, this time with a young man walking in, the sound of his armor and metal boots clamping echoed the room as Varius looked him in the eye. Varius, an elder man with a long white beard and wrinkled face, showed no sign of fear as if he knew this man was just and equal. He knew if they came to blows it would not be an easy fight for this young man.
As the dark troops marched in, all brutish and hulking like the young man simply smiled as his blue glowing eyes stared right at Varius. “Kill them all, but leave the old one alive,” the man exclaimed his order.

“You have crossed a terrible threshold, Damon Grain.” Varius slammed the bottom of his staff on the ground, making a loud echo as he eyed the man. “Your lust for blood has no limits?”
Damon thoughts for a moment as his troops began to attack. Was he testing him? He raised a hand and ordered his troops to stop the slaughter. Instead, he had them all arrested.
“Did you change your mind so easily, Damon?” Varius asked, perplexed by the sudden change.
“No,” Damon answered. “However, you gave me an interesting thought. Why kill them when I could use them for my own gain? Get answers to your secret formula.” Damon smiled as he walked up to Varius.

“I knew I should not have trusted you back then,” Varisu told the young lord.

“True, but you gave me such a beautiful gift, with it, I will have my control, my revenge, and I will be the controller of my own destiny. Your days of espousing fate have come to an end.” Damon turned around and faced his minions. “Take him to the castle cells, but treat him as if he was a guest. Old man, you will tell me what you just did, or I will make you suffer a cruelest and agonizing experience,” Damon said as he walked out, the sound of his boots echoing like spurs. Varius simply looked on with a look of grief. He only hopes his plan would work, it was, after all, based on the past work he did with Damon, but at a much larger and multidimensional scale.