The Light That Lay Beyond

The Light That Lay Beyond

She was always warned of the creatures lurking in the night. From her very first breath she and all the young children in her village were told the most terrible tales about the forest that lay not far beyond the hills. Face stealers who never wore their own petrifying visage unless it was to steal someone else's. The shadows that lurked in the hills' valleys whispered temptations and screamed human screams in attempts to lure an unsuspecting mortal into its cold and slimy grasp.

There were plenty of stories told about the terrors of the land, but one story was never told, almost as if speaking about these things was forbidden. Everyone saw what lay beyond the forest and the hills, everyone sensed there was something...more, out there, yet not one person dared utter their suspicions aloud.

No one spoke about the light.

A myriad of colors, it shone brightly in the darkest hours of the night. It was silent, unlike the inky blackness that lay before it. It glistened like a beacon of hope, yet the people were all too afraid to venture past the towering fences serving as their protection.

Until...she left. At barely fourteen seasons into her prosperous life, she did what no one was brave enough to do before her. She had seen her people cower long enough and decided to figure out this light nonsense once and for all. Armed with nothing but a small hunting knife, a torch and a spear much too long for her, she went on her way.
As she stepped into the ebony trees her limbs grew heavy with fear. She became immensely uncertain whether the sounds she heard were creatures looming among the twisted branches, or if it was her own racing heartbeat. Mouth dry and eyes wide, she advanced. She had to know what was beyond the trees.

After what seemed like days, she had made it to the hills. She peered up expectantly at the site before her. The shadows seemed to grow darker and-impossibly-move as she drew near. It was almost as if the shadows sensed her presence, like they couldn't wait to pull her in and never release her. The girl moved, step after agonizing step, towards the shadows. She brandished her torch high above her trembling frame, as if to push the shadows away with the light. The dark abyss, upon seeing her actions, seemed to laugh at the vain attempts of a mortal to survive. It beckoned her in, daring her to last in its vicious mass.
Almost at once she was engulfed, and almost at once the cacophony began. Her torch, still blazing as bright as it had before, had no more ability than her to puncture the dark. She heard the screams and taunts that the shadows offered up and still she endured. She had to know what was beyond the hills.

Face stoic and unmoving as stone, she persevered. She knew that one expression would be her downfall, one reaction and her features would be lost.

In one last bid to turn her back the way she came the darkness lunged, leaving her breathless. She held the torch still, never losing her grip, and screamed. As soon as it had started it was over. She felt a warmth on her back and joy in her soul once again. She turned and, realizing she was on the other side of the impossible hills, opened her eyes to see...

Paradise.