Status: Completed

You Had Me At Hello

The End

“Oh, dear… You are absolutely gorgeous,” Donna cooed as she fiddled with my dress. She stepped back to get a full picture and beamed. “It’s a perfect fit.” I turned to face the floor length mirror and gasped. She was right. It was just the right size, neither too big nor too small. It hugged in the right places and flowed where it was supposed to. I turned back to look at her and noticed the tears in her eyes. “I don’t think it even looked that good on me. Well, let’s get started on your hair.” There was a faint tapping at the door. “Go away, Gerard. It’s bad luck to see the bride before the ceremony!”

“It’s just me, Ma,” Mikey called. He stepped inside, quickly shutting the door behind him. As he looked me over, a smile crept onto his face. “Is that Mom’s dress? It looks beautiful.”

“Yes, it is. I gave her something that is both old and borrowed,” Donna chimed as she ushered me to the chair.

“Oh, that reminds me,” Mikey said as he reached into his pocket. “I have something for you. It should take care of the new and the blue.” He pulled out a small black box and handed it to me. I opened the case and smiled warmly. In the box was a silver necklace with a sapphire heart-shaped pendant. He pulled it out of the box and slipped it around my neck, clasping it from behind.

“It’s beautiful,” I whispered as I looked into the mirror. He smiled as he looked at our reflection.

“Well, we were really hoping that you’d like it. Frankie and I searched for the perfect gift.” I turned to face him and hugged him tightly.

“It is absolutely perfect,” I muttered into his chest. He hugged me back for a moment before pulling back.

“Well, it looks like Mom is pretty busy, and I should probably go let Gee know that you didn’t get cold feet yet. He’s been ready for quite a while, and he’s just been pacing anxiously.” I laughed quietly and nodded. “I’ll see you at the altar.” I smiled and waved as he stepped out of the room. Donna sat me down and began working on my hair and makeup for what felt like ages. When she deemed herself done, she stepped back to admire her work. She opened her mouth to speak when there was another knock on the door. The door creaked open slightly.

“Is everyone decent?” Don asked through the crack.

“Yes, we are just about ready,” Donna confirmed. He stepped into the room and smiled widely at me.

“Wow, it looks just as beautiful on you as it did on her.” Donna nudged him playfully. “Well, are you ready to get this show on the road, kiddo? Everyone’s waiting.” I nodded as I stood up.

“Wait, there is one more thing…” Donna said as she grabbed a small box off of the table. She held it to her chest for a moment before she continued. “Now, I really hope you don’t mind… But, it was something that the boys thought of…” She opened the box and held it out to me. I looked at the medal and felt a lump in my throat. “The idea behind it was for Don to wear it over his heart. They thought that, since your father couldn’t be here, it would be a good way to represent him on his daughter’s biggest day. So, when Don walks you down the aisle, it would be like he was there too…” The tears fell silently as I clutched the box to my chest. I don’t know what I did to deserve these people in my life, but I was so very grateful.

“If it bothers you, I won’t. It was just a thought,” Don stated carefully as he saw the tears falling.

“No… I think it is a beautiful idea, and I know that Dad would be honored to be represented today…” I choked out. Donna removed the medal from the box and pinned it to Don’s jacket, right over his heart. They both embraced me in a hug.

“Well, we are honored to have such a great man’s daughter join our little family.” His words meant more to me than I think he realized. After a few minutes, I pulled myself together and gently dabbed my eyes as not to ruin all of Donna’s hard work. “You ready to do this?” I nodded, and he held his arm out for me. I slipped my arm underneath his, and we followed Donna to the main entrance.

*** Gerard’s POV ***

I stood nervously in front of the crowd. I didn’t know half of these people. They had to be friends of my parents. I held my hands behind me, fidgeting with my nails. I looked over to Mikey, who just smiled at me reassuringly. What was taking so long? Did she run off? As my thoughts raced, I heard the song change and looked up at the doors. They opened slowly and she stood on the other side, arm in arm with Dad. I stared at her in awe. I had never seen someone so beautiful, so angelic. She moved gracefully towards the front, pacing herself with Dad. I could see that Mom had dressed her up like a doll, but she didn’t need it. She was always perfect. A strand of hair fell softly over her eye. They approached the front and stopped just shy of the steps of the altar.

“Who gives this young woman away on this day?” The priest asked. My dad smiled proudly as he looked down at her.

“Her father, Staff Sergeant Michael Green, and I, Donald Way, do.” She smiled beautifully as he kissed her cheek. She stepped forward onto the steps and stood across from me. I stared into her eyes. She had been crying, but they seemed to be tears of joy, rather than sadness. The priest went through the ceremony, but I wasn’t really listening. I couldn’t help but lose myself in her presence.

“Do you, Gerard Arthur Way, take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife? To have and to hold, from this day forward. For better and for worse, for richer and for poorer. In sickness, and in health. To love and to cherish, until death do you part?” I reached for her hand and slid the ring onto her finger.

“I do.”

“Do you, Taylor Ivy Green, take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband? To have and to hold, from this day forward. For better and for worse, for richer and for poorer. In sickness, and in health. To love and to cherish, until death do you part?” She grabbed my hand and slid the ring onto my finger.

“I do.”

“Then, by the power vested in me by the state of New Jersey, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss your bride.” I stepped towards her and cupped her face in my hands. I leaned forward and kissed her passionately. I pulled back and smiled at her.

“I love you, Mrs. Way.” She smiled brightly.

“As I do you, Mr. Way.”