Status: I wrote this for an assignment when I was still attending Full Sail University, we had a picture we had to write a story based off of. The picture is similar to the one I posted for the thumbnail.

The Room

One/One

The stink of the cheap hotel room permeated the room and penetrated my nostrils. Sex and cigarettes. The type of place you would find the cheap whores hanging around hoping to make some money for drugs. This wasn’t the type of place I’d have ever seen myself landing up in, but that wasn’t something I could help now. I knew what I would be experiencing the second I agreed to be a sniper for the toughest family in town. I also knew what kind of people they were, so I didn’t take my responsibilities lightly when I’ve been given a new assignment such as the one in my hand.

My newest order came from the head himself; I’m always instructed by my boss to assassinate whoever is on this file and get back here as quick as possible. I won’t be able to do that, and I knew this the moment I investigated the file. I was the assassination target. Something must be happening in the organization if they want to remove an asset.

“Damn.”

It would soon be time for me to face the last bullet of my life, but first I would need to make sure that after my death our information would be protected. I look around the room before picking up the files that had been thrown on the glass coffee table. I wasn’t thinking with my head anymore but instead, I thought with my instinct. I took the files to the bathroom where I burned them to ashes to hide sensitive information. My belongings were next since I would no longer be needing them where I was going afterward. I did a once-over on the hotel room to make sure that I didn’t miss anything that would give away information against my boss.

“I think that’s it.”

I frown in anticipation, I had no family but the mafia, I had nothing waiting for me after this life and this crime was up. In the beginning, I would have never done this; I would have never followed an order like a sick puppy, but I’ve lost my world. My wife, my children, all were taken from me when I was still new to the mafia family. It was then that I made my decision to never care if I lived or died at the hands of my job. I head out into the parking lot where my beat-up throwaway car awaited me with my weapons within. Normally we would abandon these cars after a quick wipe down, but this time it didn’t need to be wiped down. I wouldn’t do the act here; it would reveal an important safehouse that we couldn’t afford to lose. I will do it somewhere public. If I’m going to die, then I want to do it with a crowd of people watching as my body hits the ground.

I laugh as I drive to the ideal location: central park. I got out of my car with a pistol in my coat pocket securely tucked against my hand. The metal of the gun was cool to the touch and gave me a fond remembrance of my first ever assassination. I wasn’t as confident with a gun as I am now and that caused me to mess up quite a few times. I walk to my ideal location within the park and look around the happy lives of the people around me. They could never imagine the evil that lived in their shadows, but the sheep never know when a wolf is coming. I remove the gun from my pocket, fire one shot to get the attention of the crowd and bring the gun to my temple.

“Showtime.”