Status: This is another story that was written for an assignment while attending Full Sail University

The Box

One/One

I stare into the mirror as I wonder what I was doing with myself; I’m pulled from my thoughts by a knock at the front door, followed by someone ringing the doorbell as if I didn’t hear the knock. My partner, who was awaiting my return from the bathroom, answered the door. I could hear a sound of disgust and the thump of something being sat on my worn kitchen table. I enter the kitchen as my partner was opening the box that was leaking a dark, goopy, crimson red liquid. I lean on the doorway as my partner opens the box and takes a step back in a hurry, falling over himself in the process, I clear my throat as I watch him stare at the box in horror.

“Why did someone send you a heart?!”

“Because I like them?”

My partner looks back at me in horror. I was hoping to for once have a normal relationship, but this one would cause a problem if I left him alive. I walk to the kitchen counter and pick up a carving knife I was using before I had to go to the bathroom. My partner already seems to know what’s going on as I look back at him with disdain. The look on his face could only be described as a deer in headlights when I walk past him and lock the front door.

“Damn, I really didn’t want to do this, I was hoping that you’d finally be the one that I could share my secret with,” I said.

“Wh-What do you mean your secret? Did you kill someone?” he asks as he crawls away from me.

“Not quite me, but my parents? Yes. Personally, I never took up the family business such as they wanted. I’m not much of a killer, but when someone like you finds out something they shouldn’t then I have no qualms of killing to protect myself and my family.” I said as I approach him.

I kneel down in front of him and put the tip of the knife into his neck, “any last words?”

He starts sobbing as he looks up at me, “please don’t kill me.”

I sigh as I push the knife in further until his blood swelled to the surface. I could feel his muscles tensing as he prepared himself to hit me, but I was faster. I push the knife through until it was visible through the other side of his neck. Blood splatters cover the walls behind him and my body. I pull the knife back out creating a larger blood splatter and walk to my sink to clean it up.

I pick up the heart from the box and take it to my basement vault. It was kept to a cool temperature and dry so no decomposition would affect them until I could preserve them. I place it in a jar of formaldehyde and go back up the steps to dispose of the corpse that was growing cold on my floor.

“Happy fucking birthday to me.”