Blood of the Chosen

Chapter Three

The man’s stunning blue eyes poured into mine. He was absolute perfection. He was easily six foot with broad shoulders. He watched me with curiosity and confusion. No matter how hard I tried I couldn’t pull my gaze from him, part of me didn’t want to. I watched as he took a few more steps walking fully into the kitchen. It was Patrick’s voice that finally helped me pull my gaze away from this beautiful guy. God, what was wrong with me?

“It’s started James.” Was Patrick’s answer to him.

James. He suited that name. I noticed that as soon as the words left Patrick’s lips James tensed. A look of unease spread across his perfect face.

“Are you certain?” He asked him.

Patrick nodded slowly before he turned his gaze back to me. “Harper, this is James.”

It was difficult but I pulled my gaze up to meet his. As soon as our eyes connected with each other I felt a jolt go through me. My heart was pounding in my chest. The look on his face told me that he felt it too. He leaned back against one of the kitchen counters as his eyes drank me in.

“It’s nice to meet you.” He said.

“You too.” I barely managed to whisper.

I felt it when his eyes left mine. It was like I had been daydreaming and had snapped out of it.

“What happens now?” He asked Patrick.

Patrick set his cup down on the table. “I don’t know. I need time to think.”

“Time is something we don’t have.” James told him.

“Now isn’t the time to be a smart ass.” Patrick warned him.

It was the first time I’d heard anger in Patrick’s voice. It was also the first time I’d seen him looking stressed. When I was growing up he always had a smile on his face and a positive attitude. Nothing was every too much or a bother for him.

“How do you both know each other?” I found myself asking.

There was a look exchanged between them before Patrick spoke. “He’s my nephew.”

I nodded slowly before taking another sip of the now cooling tea then placing it down on the table. That’s when I noticed how much my hands were trembling. I bunched them into fists trying to stop it.

“I know you’re scared.” Patrick said softly.

“Scared? Scared doesn’t even cover how I feel right now. What’s going to happen with my parents’ b-bo-“I said before I cut myself off. I couldn’t say it. My hand went to my mouth as a wave of sickness rushed over me. My eyes closed as I prayed for it to pass quickly.

“You don’t need to worry about that.” Patrick told me. “Everything’s being sorted as we speak.”

I opened my eyes and looked at him “Sorted? By who?”

“That doesn’t matter right now. You’re in shock.” He said, his hand gently resting on top of mine on the table. “You’ve been through a trauma and right now you’re my main priority.”

My tear filled eyes searched his “I don’t understand.” I whispered.

Patrick’s eyes softened. “I know. You will get all the answers to your questions soon, I promise.”

Patrick looked at James “Can you show Harper to the spare room? I have some things to take care of.”

James stepped forward and nodded. “Sure.”

It took me a few moments to remember how my legs worked. I pushed myself up onto my feet and followed James towards the kitchen door. I stopped and turned to look at Patrick before I carried on out the door.

When James and I reached the bottom of the stairs I picked up my bag that I’d left underneath where the coats hung. I pulled it over my shoulder as we ascended the stairs. Once at the top I was greeted with a long corridor. Paintings hung on the walls here and there as we made our way down. Neither of us spoke as we walked. We stopped at the third door on the left. James opened it and led me inside.

The room was beautiful. A double bed with white bedding sat to the left of the room. The walls were dark grey which complimented the light grey floor nicely. A floor-length mirror fit snug against the far wall next to a set of drawers. My bag made a dull thud on the floor when I set it down at my feet.

“Patrick’s room is further down the hall to the right.” James told me. “Mines is straight across from this one.”

I walked further into the room and nodded. This is where I’d be sleeping for, well that was the thing, I didn’t know how long.

“Let us know if you need anything during the night.” James said.

The sound of his footsteps was the only sound in the quiet room until I spoke. “James?”

He was already halfway out the door when he stopped and looked over his shoulder at me “Yeah?”

“Thank you.” I whispered.

His stunning eyes softened as he gave me a small nod before walking out and closing the door behind him.

I slowly looked around the room. This was the first time I’d been alone since it happened. My skin began to heat up and a rush of dizziness hit me. I noticed a door to the right that was slightly open, an ensuite. I hurried across the room and inside. Quickly turning on the tap, I put my hands under the cold water and splashed it against my face. It felt good against my skin. After drying my hands I placed them on the counter. I studied the girl staring back at me in the mirror. She looked as white as the sheets on the bed. Her dark hair was messy and her violet eyes were red from crying. I didn’t look like the girl I was earlier today. Hell who was I kidding? I wasn’t going to be that girl ever again. My life was forever changed. At that moment I didn’t quite realise just how much.