Frozen Hearts

One - Lucas

I look around the cafeteria as the students go about their daily lives; many cast worrisome glances at me and others just ignored my presence altogether. I had gotten word earlier today that we would be receiving a new student and said the new student was from a rival gang that we had kicked out of town. My eldest brother Lynx stood next to me as I rose from the table. Today was one of the many observation days that they had decided I needed to prove I was a suitable heir. Of course, even if I wasn’t, there wasn’t much they could do about it. My brothers had all turned down taking over the empire and we were the only boys born in recent years, so it didn’t matter if they liked or hated me. I was the only one left to take the name.

Lynx looks over at me as I straightened out my hoodie, “do you know who is returning?” He asks.

I nod, “yeah, I have a fair idea of who’s coming back, and I don’t like it,” I answered without looking at him.

My right eye was shielded from view because of the deep gash that ran vertically over it. A gift from my father for failing a critical mission. Lynx was looking at the wound, but he knew better than to bring it up because I would downplay it as I always did. The wounds I receive on a nearly daily basis cause me pain, as one would expect, but I couldn’t afford to show that pain to the outside world. I had to remain stoic and expressionless, so my enemies don’t take that as a sign of weakness.

Lynx and I left the cafeteria to go to the nearest bathroom, “you do know you didn’t have to lie to dad. You had your mission complete; I am the one that caused the failure, you should’ve let me take the hit,” he said quietly as I start washing out the wound.

I turn to look at my older brother and shake my head, “I’m fine taking the hit. I won’t sugarcoat shit and tell you I didn’t feel the pain and that it wasn’t agony, but at the same time it wasn’t the worst hit I have ever taken from dad.”

The warning bell sounds signaling the entrance of our new student: Gabriel. My childhood friend born in a separate gang before we even knew what they were. I hadn’t seen my rival since I was thirteen years old and we were giving a sad goodbye in front of our houses. At the time I didn’t realize that our family had sided with the Yakuza and chased his family from the city. Now I am glad that they did because I would’ve been the one that had to slaughter my friend and although I am capable, having done something similar to a man I was in love with, I would have eventually felt guilt. Maybe.

Lynx rubs my shoulder as if telling me it’ll be alright. I nod to him and finish up with my eye before walking out into the hallway. He would have to see me before he could get further into the building because that’s how things are operated here. I just wasn’t sure if I even wanted to see him, because part of me loved him and it took a long time to get rid of that. I don’t want him to bring that back to the surface.