Frozen Hearts

Eleven - Lucas

I smirk at the boy who thinks he could overpower me. I stand quickly and kick Gabriel in the back, knocking him down, before putting my foot on his throat. I remove a gun from my pocket before pointing it at the dying Lucas. I laugh when I see the fear in Gabriel’s eyes that I was going to kill his beloved.

I apply pressure to his neck, “are you going to be a good little boy?” I ask as I look down through the holes of my mask.

Gabriel has no choice but to submit as I start applying pressure to the trigger. He knew I was not afraid to kill Lucas and I would kill him with no second thoughts as well. Lucas starts sitting up with hardly any strength and looks up at me with betrayal in his eyes. It seems he’d figured out who I was. I twist Gabriel’s arm behind his back before forcing him to stand up and chaining him in the same way I had chained in Lucas.

I was aware that Gabriel had undone the chains on Lucas, but Lucas was also too weak to even think about escaping. He wouldn’t while I had Gabriel in my custody anyways. He was always warned to never go soft because of a boy, but it seems the lessons never stuck.

“Why…Why hide behind...” Lucas was trying to choke out a question. One he’d probably been dying to ask me ever since he figured out the truth.

I rip off the mask and straighten out my deep raven black hair. Gabriel looks at me in shock as he looks at me and Lucas just looks at the floor.

“Drake…big brother…why?” Lucas asks as he looks at me again.

“You helped us look for him!” Gabriel yells at me, “you were the one that took him?!”

I shrug, “it wasn’t hard, I knew Lucas was still fond of you and I’d been watching both of you. I saw you take him home and I knew he’d walk away from you so he didn’t risk you,” I said, “as for the next question, yes the Triad know exactly who I am, they jumped for the opportunity to have someone that knows all of the Yakuza’s secrets join their ranks once I proved to them I wasn’t a mole,” I add.

I walk over to Lucas and yank his head back by his hair, “so, what gave my identity away little brother?” I ask.

Lucas was closing and opening his eyes, he would be dead soon, he swallowed hard as he looks up at me, “…Torture…” He whispers out, “I recognized it.”

I laugh, “ah, yes, I should’ve disguised myself a bit better I suppose. Afterall I did teach you how to torture since that was my job,” I say as I drop Lucas back to the floor.

Gabriel just sat there unable to say a word. It was almost like he couldn’t believe that someone so close to Lucas could easily betray him, but that was the life. We’re criminals with little care to the world or family relations. That’s where Lynx and Salvador failed. They deeply loved Lucas, even father did although he hid it well, and all would take a bullet for him if they had to. I leave them in the room and lock the door as I walk back to the boss I reported to.

***


I sat up again despite the pain and look over at Gabriel. I pull the key for the handcuffs from underneath me and weakly pull myself up to a standing position. I walk over to Gabriel using the wall as support and drop down beside him. I could vaguely hear him begging me to stop because I was making it worse, but I felt like I was going to die regardless of what he did at this point. Even if he did try to escape, I wouldn’t make it to the nearest hospital, if we were where I thought we were then the nearest hospital was twenty miles away. I’ve almost completely bled out onto the ground and I could feel my strength fading fast. He had hope, he wasn’t hurt like I was, and could still make a clean escape.

I unchain him from the wall and look up at him, the hope for life gone from my eyes, “I’m…dying…Run…Escape,” I beg through hard breaths.

Sleep was taking over again, so I had to do this fast before I lost the battle. I leaned down and kiss Gabriel with what strength I had left, when I pull away, I smile at him before I collapse onto the floor next to him passing out. The last sound I could hear was a door being kicked down and what sounded like Lynx’s voice calling my name.