Frozen Hearts

Thirteen - Lynx

I don’t even look up when the door to Lucas’ hospital room opens. There was only one person that I instructed both hospital and my own staff to allow into his room. I only look up when my shoulder is nudged and I’m handed a cup of coffee, black like I used to take it all the time before this mess between the Snakes and Spiders claimed territory and war. I lay back in my chair listening to the rhythmic hum of the machines keeping my little brother alive. I couldn’t believe that my own brother had caused all this suffering, Drake, what were you thinking? How could you try to take the life of your own brother? I struggled to wrap my head around everything that happened this last week. Drake comforted me and aided in the search for Lucas, he had this mask that none of us saw through.

“This has to end,” I say softly as I look over at Gabriel.

He nods in agreement, “has there been any word on his condition?” He asks softly. I could see the guilt and the fear in his eyes as he looks at my brother.

I shake my head, “no, it’s the same news I had been given when we first got here yesterday. He hasn’t improved with the blood transfusions and they’ll be taking him for a second surgery this evening to repair more of the damage. They’re not sure he’s going to make it or if he’s going to wake up,” I say as I hold my brother’s hand gently. His skin was ice cold as I watch the weak lines on the heartbeat monitor.

I don’t hear anything else from him as he sits in the other chair and watches Lucas. I didn’t feel as hostile to Gabriel as I once did, especially when my father refused to search for him or allow me to take anyone with me to search. Gabriel had stepped up despite my beating him, along with Drake, to help me search for him because I knew something wasn’t right when he never made it home.

“I’m sorry, I never should have accused you of harming Lucas,” I blurt out suddenly. Surprising both myself and Gabriel.

He shakes his head, “you don’t have to apologize. If it were any other person, I would’ve killed them, but I love Lucas. I keep trying to tell myself that I don’t, but deep down we’ve probably both known that we were in love,” He said as he looks at my brother.

I thought about what he said and bite my thumb, “I have a crazy thought. What if you and Lucas get married? Now that we know we’ve been betrayed from the inside, well, to put it bluntly, both of our gangs are fucked. Drake knew all the Snakes inside secrets and Spiders because we had a mole planted. Neither of our gangs is equipped to handle the devastating blow that this could bring to us, but together we could. I’m of course speaking if Lucas ever even wakes up from the coma he’s in,” I say as I look at Gabriel.